Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DRPG Book

Educated
Been working on a DRPG list for a few months and I thought I'd share. I was inspired by aweigh's lists and the CRPG Book. As of this post it has 842 entries.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Dx3UoA-bARd4hpHK9gIZqdr9xdYjrJMftk1tKIYjDxo/edit?usp=sharing

I still have a lot to sort through on vector.co.jp and Sandstorm's blog. I'm sure there are other sites I'm not even aware of yet.

The general criteria is RPG'ish with grid based movement. There are definitely a few in the list with non-grid movement, but they seem to belong (Paper Sorcerer, Wizardry 8, later Might and Magics). I've also included games such as Ultima and the Gold Box series where not all aspects are grid based, but they still contain large portions of blobber-ness. There's also a lot of doujin, eroge, indie, and Game Jam entries.

The tab called "Games (unsorted)" is an older, messier list full of dupes and non-blobbers. I'd eventually like to add some of the columns from that sheet to the "Cleaned" sheet, such as auto-map flags, party type, combat style, eroge flag, wikis, translations, generic tags, and more.

With a list of this size, I'm sure I've still missed plenty or just have incorrect info, so if you happen to notice one, please let me know.

Ysaye

Arbiter
On quick inspection....

Menzoberranzan is not grid based and same engine as Ravenloft which you have crossed off....but you have the latter M&Ms so maybe you shouldn't be crossing off Ravenloft?

To be in the same pedantic style of the list, you are missing Phantasy Star Generation One.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Released :
- Festivus, an OK one, you play as pregenerated characters, basic attacks deal almost no damage so you get to use the appropriate elemental spells, also equipment determines your spells and one fun thing is how you can equip a same spell at the same time on two different spell levels. Compared to similar projects, and especially the one I'm describing just below, I like that there's an actual level design with ice and holes and such.
TPomy1F.png
KGJYeOh.png
3UgKG21.png
TX31Z1h.png
Jrk72L0.png
xuKuCeR.png
- Dys : a first-person blobber made with RPG Maker, with full party creation (and weird classes such as wedding ninja and furyzerker), it's not grid-based though'. I did not complete the game because it used to crash randomly then but this was eventually fixed.

Work In Progress :
- Morgana, cool art
[/quote]

- Labyrinthos
- Casus, which includes an
incline.png
in-game mapping tool :
Abu Antar 's blobber category is using the same criteria as yourself, for example grid-based single character would go there :
Blobber

Afterworld Release date: TBA : this one could be cool, but I think the guy, who seems to be a very cool dude anyway, is making a lot of small prototypes which lead nowhere (sorry to him if I'm mistaken)
Cyberganked Release Date: TBA : I'm keeping an attentive eye on this one. Weird trailer aside, a gameplay video is available on Twitch and although I doubt the combat will be even as cool as in Wasteland, which is the closest I can think of, the game plays like a classic blobber (The Bard's Tale especially) with a text adventure-ish UI, the dev released an actual text-adventure before, is implementing a lot of classes and the game may have a cool adventure part also reactive to your classes.

Cyberworlds Release Date: TBA : this one is inspired by Wizardry 8. I guess I will eventually get to the kitch look, also I think different "minigames" will be associated to the different attacks and if I don't like those I don't hate those as much as the next guy either.

Frayed Knights 2 Release Date: TBA

In between :
- Labyrinthium : made by the same person who made Festivus, it may stay a small demo of what could be a bigger game forever but it's playable and fits your list. The most interesting part is the skill grid, you're stealing enemies' skill patterns that you use to modify your own grid, I would gladly play a longer version of the game.

Likely some small abandoned prototype that you probably should not add to the list :
- Tardor

Last edited:

hackncrazy

Savant
Do you have by any chance any indication or list that shows which ones offer real time battles and/or fixed enemies (I know that M&M does that, right?)

Anyway, thanks a lot for the effort. It's material enough to spend a lifetime playing. Too bad that the wizardries for Android are all wapanese.

DRPG Book

Educated
Do you have by any chance any indication or list that shows which ones offer real time battles and/or fixed enemies (I know that M&M does that, right?)

Anyway, thanks a lot for the effort. It's material enough to spend a lifetime playing. Too bad that the wizardries for Android are all wapanese.
I hope to add that in the future. But, I'll need help from others to ever finish it.

DRPG Book

Educated
The list has now surpassed 900 entries. Been combing through the GameBase64 site and found quite a few new entries. Even a couple by Cleve B!

Plan to add new columns soon to capture game features such as turn based vs real time.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Lord Of Destruction Part I Demon Hordes Of Death
8ZkS2cO.png
8DhoIPZ.png

Summoning zwanzig_zwoelf

Bethesda's An Elder Scrolls Legend: Battlespire is a pure dungeon crawler by the way, it could make sense to have it in the list if games such as Ultima Underworld are in.

Do you add only games which can be found? Because you've got the freeware Maze Quest, but not the probably unavailable related commercial game called City Quest.
:negative:

You could check this database, the guy has archived quite several freewares and sharewares besides demos of big profile games, maybe the same database is better organized elsewhere, I don't know, it could take some time and you'll need to boot some games to know if they fit your criteria : https://archive.org/details/@swizzley?and[]=subject:"Role+playing+games"&sort=-publicdate

- Tower Of Fortune is just a prototype I think (unless I was unlucky or missed something) which is very sad because what you can play is promising.
2pjk4WP.png
I8cNIyL.png

:negative:
- LostHero, I think this game was talked about here at some point. I'm not sure I could not play the game or never tried to.
- Dungeon of death with its combat system where you must press the button at the right moment.
dofd.gif

- Shadowkeep 1 - The search probably has nothing to do with Shadowkeep on Apple II, but I'm not certain. Also I've never played it.
shadowkeep.gif

By the way the site is organized and they're still adding new found games (they added some just last month), but I think you've got everything in the list except perhaps these two above.

Last edited:

DRPG Book

Educated
Wow. I see a number of new things on the archive.org site. Thanks for the updates, will add soon!

DRPG Book

Educated
Well, I've went through a number of Japanese freeware sites and am now up to over 1000 entries. I still need to sort through that archive.org link and some other DOS shareware sites. Not as fast paced as I'm fully addicted to MHW right now.

If anyone wants to help fill in the details about the games (turn based vs real time, party based vs single PC, etc.), let me know. I'll be adding the new columns soon.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
I really admire the effort people like him put into games like that. It's a big game for a tiny fake computer that very few people will even try and even fewer will complete, and he spent a year on it. That's dedication

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

A year? He should try working on it for twenty five years *cough cough*

Well, I've went through a number of Japanese freeware sites and am now up to over 1000 entries. I still need to sort through that archive.org link and some other DOS shareware sites. Not as fast paced as I'm fully addicted to MHW right now.

If anyone wants to help fill in the details about the games (turn based vs real time, party based vs single PC, etc.), let me know. I'll be adding the new columns soon.

Sounds fantastic mate. Once we get the columns in, it could practically serve as a search engine of sorts

DRPG Book

Educated
Sounds fantastic mate. Once we get the columns in, it could practically serve as a search engine of sorts
That's one of my goals. I emailed the owner of dungeoncrawlers.org to see if he/she had an easy way to add games, but never heard back.

The other goal is one or more PDF books. I don't intend to sell it or anything, but I just want my own coffee table books full of Dungeon Crawler games. I imagine I may end up borrowing some of the content from throughout the web.

The challenge for both of these is the sheer volume of games and content to develop and test. So, it will take time if I don't get any help. But, this is just something I work on in between playing video games and while on the bus. As of right now, I plan to just keep moving forward at whatever pace I can.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom