Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

"DRPG" Stranger of Sword City

Courtier

Prophet
That seems really vague and generalized. By that logic any ''moe'' style in recent blobbers would have been inspired by EO. Does it follow Moero Chronicle was also the same? CoH? Students of Round? Unchained Blades? How about the first GenXth from 2008? You're actually selling the EO art short by calling it a general moe style, because the sheer amount of detail in those character concepts (the equipment) is unique, especially for handheld animu blobbers. They're all simply different.

Whether it's localized or not doesn't matter for its influence, what matters are actual sales and popularity. Fact is EOIV had about twice the sales of the first three combined. Said three had comparable sales to other popular blobbers at the time. But EOIV was being produced in the same timeframe as DG.

EO1-3 were really good games, but they did not greatly influence the genre (in art or otherwise) and on the contrary went off to do their own thing entirely. As we both know, for decades many companies have been churning out these games with varying degrees of moeblob and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

Nostaljaded

Savant
As per Courtier, the streamers mentioned that the xbone sprites are done by the Demon Gaze illustrator.
Even the hippy streamer prefers the original art as well, maybe those new art really does appeal to certain market profiles to take a closer look and then open their pockets.

Wonder whether they gonna redraw all CGs & monsters as well to complement the new character sprites. Still I would like more 're-imagination'
8MAsLUi.png

Numerous physical upgrades like facelift, hair extension, clothes reduction & chest augmentation for the trade off of glasses and IQ.
That's a splendid balance. :M
They are also messing with those UI fonts that have perfectly no issues to begin with.
Ex27j4G.png

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
so i was looking up youtube videos of all these japanese dungeon crawlers and reached Moero Chronicles... what the fuck japan

moe lolicons wizardry'ing in a forest of giant dicks.

Dorarnae

Arbiter
so i was looking up youtube videos of all these japanese dungeon crawlers and reached Moero Chronicles... what the fuck japan

moe lolicons wizardry'ing in a forest of giant dicks.

yeah, I have this game. after playing Dungeon travelers 2(which kinda surprised me when I first played it), I thought that maybe this game gameplay can be nice too but I was wrong lol.
I'd stay away from that (and from mind zero too) and probably the sequel too.

Dorarnae

Arbiter
btw in case you guys missed it, here the trailer for xbox one.

and here the same trailer but in japanese with the other art.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Do we have any actual confirmation for Stranger of Sword City pc rumors?
I mean if experience ain't gonna port it who else would even bother?

Martius

Liturgist
So far only esbr rating. Game is already on pc, although only Japanese release.

Dorarnae

Arbiter
having played both pc and vita version of the game, I personally preferred the vita (black palace) version. the game is mostly the same, it's only the post game dungeon that is different and some monster.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
http://www.pcgamer.com/jrpg-stranger-of-sword-city-rated-for-pc/

The ESRB has rated Japanese dungeon crawler Stranger of Sword City for PC ('T for Teen', if that's really why you're reading). Stranger of Sword City was ported to PC in Japan in 2014 and is expected to arrive on Western PS Vitas March 22, but the existence of an English PC version has been hearsay until now.

Stranger of Sword City was among the games leaked on the Steam Helpdesk Support system and picked up by SteamDB in December, but as they also include Half-Life 3, it's hard to accept without confirmation. Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, which appeared in the same batch, looks to be a sure thing.

Sword City follows a plane crash survivor struggling to survive in an alternate dimension and branded the chosen one by its inhabitants. Yup, that sure sounds like a JRPG, and it marks a trend of Japanese publishers paying greater attention to Steam and Western PC owners.

Thanks, Gematsu.

Dungeon CrawlerJRPGNews
http://www.pcgamer.com/what-to-expect-from-12-games-coming-to-the-htc-vive-this-year/
[paste:font size="4"]Hands on with 12 SteamVR games

Wes Fenlon - Jan 27, 2016

Our Rise of the Tomb Raider optimization guide

Tuan Nguyen - 12 hours ago

http://www.pcgamer.com/this-week-get-a-year-of-pc-gamer-for-just-22/
MAGAZINE DEAL
Today only: get a year of PC Gamer for $16.72
PC Gamer - Jan 24, 2016

Nostaljaded

Savant
Nope, it's a RTwP tormentroge. :smug:
hIVVDog.gif
The Pantless One and his fatal attractions

Add. tip: Read the in-game help for lots of useful info.

Zeriel

Arcane
It would be cool if every jap dungeon crawler started getting ported and translated to Steam. The translations will be utterly shit meme-loving garbage, but I am so starved for proper blobbers I'll take what I can get, and the japs are the only people still doing this genre in an organized way.

Nostaljaded

Savant
Dear Diary,

Today I've banged Sill for the umpteen times been forced into a 'male' expedition party. Besides kicking that blockface off the cliff before we embarked, I thought of a novel way to stand out from those pesky mates.
na1Sdjt.jpg

Me on my 'Under Cover, Under Rance' undies mission

Courtier

Prophet
Just got my copy in the mail the other day :bounce:

I'm happy to see that they didn't add a shitty dub, and stuck with the nip voices which you can easily turn off. There is an option to turn off the robotic sounding vocaloid lyrics in the BGM too, but this doesn't affect ''hymns'' in the soundtrack. You can freely switch NPC graphics anywhere. I'm counting 79 (?!) portraits to choose from in character creation divided between a few styles. PC voices seem to be recycled from DG with only 18 to choose from per gender, as opposed to 30 in DG. (Why?)

I like that you can enter both a full name and nickname for the character, and how their age matters. One thing I find odd is choosing a talent on character creation, because there's so few of them to choose from that it doesn't really matter. In a full party you're going to have all of them anyway. The game's looking quite good so far, I remember not too long ago getting it localized was just a pipe dream.

Dorarnae

Arbiter
mine should arrive today, I hope hehe.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom