Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

"DRPG" Stranger of Sword City

Jinn

Arcane
Too bad there isn't a countdown for the actual release time there. Guess it's best to just assume it'll be the normal PST 9am.

I'd really like to give Saviors a try, and wouldn't mind checking out some of the changes in Stranger Revisited, so I hope it's going for a reasonable price. $50 might be a little steep for a day one purchase, which is what I'm guessing it's going to be. If it's $30 I'll probably grab it right away. Want to support DRPGs coming out, because there won't be companies like Experience putting them out for much longer it seems.

Zeriel

Arcane
Too bad there isn't a countdown for the actual release time there. Guess it's best to just assume it'll be the normal PST 9am.

I'd really like to give Saviors a try, and wouldn't mind checking out some of the changes in Stranger Revisited, so I hope it's going for a reasonable price. $50 might be a little steep for a day one purchase, which is what I'm guessing it's going to be. If it's $30 I'll probably grab it right away. Want to support DRPGs coming out, because there won't be companies like Experience putting them out for much longer it seems.

Is Experience going out of business? I thought they promised SOSC 2, but that was years ago...

Jinn

Arcane
Is Experience going out of business? I thought they promised SOSC 2, but that was years ago...

No, I don't think they are going out of business. I think they still do fairly well with their Japanese sales, but their western releases don't seem to do so hot. I'm actually surprised we're seeing any more localizations coming of their games after Stranger. It's just that they are a dying breed, to be sure.

Unwanted

Ataraxia

Unwanted
Want to support DRPGs coming out, because there won't be companies like Experience putting them out for much longer it seems.

There is Atlus still, with the Etrian Odyssey games and SMT stuff like Strange Journey.

I'm not sure if they would ever port these games into other platforms, especially to PC... considering they're more 'niche' titles in comparison to Persona and mainline SMT. Even then, I fabulously hope that they'll do it eventually, as they are the best company (at the moment) poised to make a widespread influence in the market - wide enough to revitalize interest in the DRPG genre.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
There is Atlus still, with the Etrian Odyssey games and SMT stuff like Strange Journey.

I'm not sure if they would ever port these games into other platforms, especially to PC... considering they're more 'niche' titles in comparison to Persona and mainline SMT. Even then, I fabulously hope that they'll do it eventually, as they are the best company (at the moment) poised to make a widespread influence in the market - wide enough to revitalize interest in the DRPG genre.

If Strange Journey is successful it will be because it is an SMT game, not because it is DRPG.

The last Eterian Oddesy was like 2016? Arguably the most recent successful one is probably Persona Q and Q2 but once again I feel like it is more the merit of the new Persona more than anything.

Even in JP DRPG is now a niche genre. To revitalize the genre they will need to incorporate new things instead of "make this full party with this random portrait with vague ass narrative and go delve dungeon for 100 hours".

Zeriel

Arcane
Dorarnae

Do you remember the mechanics for Revisited? Specifically I'm wondering if the stat boost crystals are subject to the cap on stats. If so, do you just save them until post game?

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
Dorarnae

Do you remember the mechanics for Revisited? Specifically I'm wondering if the stat boost crystals are subject to the cap on stats. If so, do you just save them until post game?

Quite sure stat crystals cannot be used when stat is capped. You get shitload of crystals so you should just use them as u see fit but for melee chars u might want to save / use piety and int crystals since some equipment have stat requirements for those. Melee chars stats are more important than backline anyway.

Finished main campaign it was fine but I really hate the new counter mechanic forces to spam normal attack too much for boss fights. Clocker lvl 1 skill is just ridiculous for such a cheap price it practically adds over 50% dmg for melee chars (other than ninja's assassination).

Last edited:

Dorarnae

Arbiter
Dorarnae

been a while since I played it. I just remember that clocker class last ability is OP.
as for crystal, I guess you could save them and distribute them in the post game to be able to wear the gear you want.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Hey guys. :)

Just started the Revisited version and am having a blast! It's my first time playing any version of Stranger, and I'm thoroughly impressed so far. Love the various mechanics and how loot and such is handled. Started an LP for the game over on YouTube if anyone is interested in watching my blind playthrough. :) Only 6 or so hours in but really having a blast. This is a top notch crawler for my tastes, the setting, story and atmosphere is especially intriguing to me. Nice to see the thread also has 32 pages, tells me quite a few others here enjoyed it as well. Cheers guys! <3

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Hello all. :)

I'm over 20 hours deep in SoSC Revisited and am pretty much blown away by it. The amount of "stuff" in this game, for the genre, is staggering, and it's all balanced quite particularly well. Divinity skills, Powering Up gear, classes and multiclassing, finding gear and loot itself, secrets, quests, this game has everything crammed into it and it goes quite deep as well as broad. I'd recommend this to any fan of the genre or even of JRPGs, as the story and characters are cool as well, and the setting is just great and memorable for me.

Also, after 20 hours I still feel as though I'm scratching the surface of it, because the Blood Crystal skill tree is enormous and I'm pretty sure to beat the game that tree has to be filled out. So yeah, tons of content, tons of nuance, tons of fun here. Hope u guys like it if u check it out, and if u do, report back here and let us know how it goes! Take care all. :)

Edit - Also, if u guys have any questions about it, let me know!

Efe

Erudite
In options?
should be something like "style A" and "style B".
one is anime art which is passable, the other is amazing.
Stranger-of-Sword-City-3.jpg

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
In options?
should be something like "style A" and "style B".
one is anime art which is passable, the other is amazing.

i see! i will look, thanks! :)

edit - I looked and there's no option for art style in either game. Hmm. You sure about this? My game looks like the left portrait you posted, the amazing art style. :)

Last edited:

Ventidius

Arbiter
I've been replaying this recently and one thing that strikes me about this game is how it comes up with commonsensical refinements to some of the old mechanical elements of the genre. For example, the system of skill slots is a nice compromise between the freedom of unlimited class changing and the "immersion" of well-defined archetypes. Similarly, the system of life points and saving outside of dungeons is a nice way of approaching the risk-management elements of the first Wizardry without outright going with forced-ironman. Overall, it's probably one of the most mechanically elegant Wizardry-likes out there.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom