Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

"DRPG" Stranger of Sword City

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
all three wizardry empire games are "can't save inside dungeon" by default and auto-hard-save automatically when you enter/exit...

that said I immediately changed to "regular mode" after my 18th level party got party wiped by a devil's eye trap and the game immediately actually fucking wrote it to the save file WHILE STILL AT THE TREASURE CHEST SCREEN. (yes, I alt-tabbed immediately). it does make everything 100000x more exciting though: it actually makes you regulate your greed as you know that this one chest just might possibly irrevocably party wipe you... is it a change you wnat to risk? do you really need that loot? hehehe

Courtier

Prophet
is the repeat command button on an individual basis or party-wide?
Party wide my man, it makes things really quick. Though Elminage did have a repeat action button, page down for the PC version I believe. I used a gamepad with Elminage Gothic and it made some of the grinding I did so much easier.

So you're saying if you're mid-dungeon and need to log, there is no way to save your progress short of getting home?
Looks like it. But you can teleport home to save, or using the sanic-fast automove it takes just a minute or two to cross several whole maps.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
I got it for my Vita.

First game, I made a cleric and had my life saved by Riu (?), the school girl samural. I proceeded to die at every single fight between the wyven and the city gates, even with using her defend the party skill, - with her reviving me each time. Got jack for loot and was still level 1.
Started over with a Fighter, with diligent use of her skills and the fighters defend, I was able to fight and kill some monsters. When I reached the city I was level 3 and I had received a Master Dagger as loot.

It's a pretty well-made blobber so far. The art is nice, the music and VO is nice (though all the VO is Japanese, which I don't mind). The story and world so far is interesting so far, at least when compared to other JRPG fare. Between this, and Class of Heroes 2, my blobber desires are being taken care of.

The middle of a dungeon no-save issue isn't a big deal on the Vita because of the pause/low power mode the vita has.

If the game ends up being good all the way through, I might double buy it and pick up the PC version as well.

Zeriel

Arcane
Looks like beta emails went out based on people reporting bugs on Steam forums. Bummer, I didn't get an email. Anyone got lucky?

Courtier

Prophet
Still playing the Vita version lads, I just fought my 1000th battle and collected 18 blood crystals. I saw Dorarnae topping the speed rankings with his run, and also apparently I share first place with another guy for collecting the highest quality old lady panties.

I made a bunch more notes while playing, throwing them in a spoiler below-

DUNGEON
  • The labyrinths are reasonably large (each one has a bunch of maps) but straightforward, with hidden doors, traps, treasure areas, hidden paths etc. in good measure. As you explore the ones you've unlocked, more labyrinths connected to them open up. Some areas are completely optional as far as I can tell.
  • There's random encounters but the encounter rate is pretty low, and there are visible set encounters littered throughout the map.
  • So far I've seen one-way corridor puzzles, teleporter mazes, dark zones, pits, stair mazes, a poison area and spinners. Speaking of spinners, your direction is actually hidden on the automap this time. One thing I found neat was that in the forest there was a tower in the distance that you can use as a landmark after hitting one.
  • As soon as you leave the dungeon, gear collected is identified (you can do it yourself inside at risk of cursing the item) - which combined with quick treasure runs, fast automove and autobattle makes grabbing loads of loot pretty satisfying.
  • You can find waypoints and butterflies that whisk you home every once in a while, providing a much needed escape route. Escape items are expensive and limited, and there's no teleporting spells.

FIGHTS
  • You can fight several battles in a row to get treasure in each ambush area, and quickly get into a rhythm of doing a round of each one before going back to town. How many depends on your max morale, which rises as you beat bosses and turn in crystals.
  • You frequently encounter monsters 10 or even 20+ levels above you. Some boss monsters show up in random encounters or hunt you down in certain conditions e.g. taking too long in a fight, and you can encounter them alarmingly early. While you can autobattle through more and more encounters as you get stronger, you still need to pay attention to what you're fighting and run away when needed.
  • The morale meter which you use for party-tactics is really important for both fights and treasure hunting, and it is recharged quickly by fighting encounters. This makes the already balanced amount of encounters more enjoyable to fight, because you're constantly recharging your "loot/free magic meter".
  • The party skills themselves are varied and improved over e.g. the "spam group attack to win" tension gauge of Class of Heroes. You choose which ones to get from a "skill tree" with skills associated with three important faction NPCs.
  • I lost hours already with characters getting gibbed at the worst possible moments, and there's high-powered actually threatening monsters in almost every area (even the first one). I've had people in the hospital either being resurrected or recovering LP nearly constantly, and had to be careful where I explored and how many chests I went for. Saving after every trip is mandatory. Difficulty is not quite Elminage level, but getting closer.

MISC
  • The shop has only a few pieces of useful gear, but a lot of very useful consumables in limited supply. There's even items that can do things like cast stacking multi-evade buffs, back row guards, magic break and group heals, which can be combined with the Dancer's trick (use several items in a row)
  • Certain treasure areas tend towards certain equipment types, so you have to shop around every dungeon to get a variety of gear. It pays off to find just the first couple treasure areas of each one and make a few quick runs before going any deeper.
  • After getting a few party skills, gearing up my guys, and getting the cleric's Holy Shield skill (Lv 18, blocks attacks until it breaks), my party is way less prone to getting insta-gibbed. But even with everyone around level 20, there's still monsters that can beat my ass lurking in the first dungeons.
  • Story and NPCs are pretty good, especially for a blobber. I rike it

It keeps getting better the further I get.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Courtier
Any good tips for grinding? My party composition:

Front Line
Fighter (Main Character)
Knight
Samurai

Back Line
Dancer
Wizard
Cleric

I'm currently grinding in Metal Forest.

Courtier

Prophet
If you want a couple levels and some gear I found doing runs in Valley of the Ruined is quick and easy. Also check if you can handle the first floor of the Shadow Palace, there are 3 ambush zones you can automove to quickly and Murphy's ghost makes an appearance as 'Murphin'. The forest really isn't all that dangerous either but the orcs can do a lot of damage and you should avoid harpies. Enemies that summon buddies like the ravens and palace slimes can get you a ton of exp per encounter.

I haven't really needed to grind beyond doing some extra rounds for loot. When somebody dies I replace them and see if I can tackle an easier area while they recuperate

Theswweet

Literate
I really, really wish there was a Magic Stone right next to
the stairs before the Charon's Vessel/Charon+Elder Wisps(and whatever else he summons, FUCK) boss fight in the Mausoleum of Storms.

Ghost Town had a similar deal with
back to back boss fights
but at least it had the courtesy to drop a Magic Stone right next to the trigger. I'm not going to complain about the fights themselves, but it's REALLY annoying when I have to reset after getting myself stuck in a hopeless situation, and the nearest warp is in the freaking Forest. Takes me a good 10 minutes to get back there on average, when you add together the random encounters and the orange mob markers. Look, I get that it's meant to be a gauge of whether or not you're ready for the end-game, but it's still annoying that I'm forced to more or less trek through the entire dungeon every time I want to attempt the boss.

Courtier

Prophet
I just finished the (main) game men. Total hours clocked: 56 + a few hours lost due to unfortunate deaths/resets. 10 other people have finished the game and uploaded their stats to the rankings, most taking around 40-50 hours.

It was berry good, 10/10 would play again and probably will in a minute, since besides the postgame dungeon it looks like there are several endings. I enjoyed the story thoroughly.

I had a lot of trouble with the critical hits (instant death) that demons, hounds, bosses etc. inflict, because I didn't multiclass anyone to knight and dolls can't autorevive you from getting hit with one. Having a knight guard the party every turn turned out to be vital. Late in the game their damage falls off quickly anyway and they're better off sticking to Iron Defense or Illusion (ninja multiclass).

Revival and LP-restoration items are in short supply, aforementioned revival-dolls are very prone to breaking and you can buy only a few of them. I did find one or two extra after loitering around the final dungeon for a while, though.

Max enchantment Lv rolled on gear rises as your party gains levels. Gear can skip ranks if it's high enough, and some stats like D.Reduce % can rise a point every few levels. Mumic shows up frequently in a bunch of maps (orc village, ghost town and ice fort for example), and I rerolled every unique I could while storing or selling ones that wouldn't be useful regardless of enchantment. % damage reduction on armour/accessories and ailments/slaying on weapons seemed the most important come lategame.

Force Guard prevents enemies from dispelling all your divine party-buffs. High priority cleric spell to cast in boss fights, alongside divine armour.

Magic Break halves enemy magic damage for an entire battle and can also be cast with a Destruction Vase. Force Break gets rid of all their buffs (Demon Vase).

The no-magic and no-skill zones are tough, because you can't buff with divine armor/weapon in the former and lose Iron Defense/Illusion/Holy Shield while stuck with regular attacks in the latter. You also can't see monster health or hide in no-skill zones. Poison areas are a piece of cake.

Most of my damage came from my Ninja, because Assassinate always hits. Then after a few turns of hiding, using Critical Strike inflicts massive damage. I ended up reaching 2000-3000 easily, which can end bossfights quickly.

Another powerful combination was Hunter's Secret (Ranger 28) combined with multi-hit attacks like Star Step or Berserk. With a Knight guarding the back row and Light/Dark Veil active, you can churn out many attacks per turn while keeping concentration up.

Then there's Master Cast combined with Enhance Magic and Giant (divine skill) which can allow your mage to blast opponents for thousands of points of damage, getting rid of boss minions easily. Tri-Bolt for single targets and Omega Impact for the whole enemy party. I wasn't very impressed with mage spells until I got these and the skills to power them up.

Mentioned this one before - I like stocking up on Battle Scrolls and Mind Eye scrolls (cast multi-hit/avoid respectively) and using Trick 2 to spam three per turn. Loads of stacking buffs with no MP-cost. Same goes for Spirit Nuts to cast several high multi-cures. Doing this with e.g. giant rainbow vases didn't do very much damage, but it could be useful for large crowds or if your Dancer needs something to do.

it's REALLY annoying when I have to reset after getting myself stuck in a hopeless situation, and the nearest warp is in the freaking Forest.
You're going to love the next dungeon. Remember to cast Force Hide to eliminate lower level encounters.
When it says ''You cannot retreat'', you can actually turn around and touch the mural to go back. But you'll have to redo the three parts of the dungeon each time you do. Luckily dead bosses stay dead, and individual levels are not very large.

Zetor

Arcane
Hmmm sounds like Demon Gaze++ with the must-have buff/debuff concepts (incl force guard, * break, vases, etc) as well as knights being guard-bots and clerics spamming holy shield (I assume it's 0 MP here too). OTOH character and party building seems to have some decent depth now? Deffo picking this up on steam, PC blobbing needs all the help it can get.

Jinn

Arcane
I finally took a close look at this tonight, and goddamn this game looks like a pretty amazing dungeon crawler. I'm so glad they decided to bring it to PC. I'll be buying it the day it comes out, without a doubt.

Courtier

Prophet
The story doesn't really go into VN territory but it's heavily hinted at. In the ending I got my MC stayed behind with the boyish looking girl who wanted them to ''become her other half''

Courtier
Any good tips for grinding? My party composition:

Front Line
Fighter (Main Character)
Knight
Samurai

Back Line
Dancer
Wizard
Cleric

I'm currently grinding in Metal Forest.

Once you get to the fire dungeon / mines, I really recommend farming the dwarf zombies at ambush spots. They're all over the place, not difficult and give tons of XP. I've gotten a few characters to 30 and started a few multiclasses by farming them.

Shit, I really like this game. I'm probably making it too easy for myself by grinding so much but the game is so darned fun.

Multiclassing especially. Dancers essentially get Greater Whirlwind at around l23, and if you multiclass them samurai they can crap out tons of AOE damage on top of that. And wizards get triple cast at l30. Woah nelly.

I'm sure some of the bosses will really give me the busness down the road (boy howdy) but this game gives some really fun tools to play with. Multiclassing is great. It's rekindled my love for blobbers a little bit.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I haven't played this one, but it looks like a Wizardry clone essentially, so I don't think you can directly compare the two. LoT is too much of its own thing.

Jinn

Arcane
Yooooo! Official release date up on Steam: June 6. Fuck yes.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Crooked Bee is absolutely correct. I'm playing off-and-on the 2nd LoT game but I don't enjoy its mechanics as much as I enjoy the Wizardry blueprint. in fact, i can't think of a more different crawler to Wizardry in its underlying design than the LoT crawlers. I'm enjoying myself of course, otherwise I wouldn't be playing it, but it plays much more macro than a Wizardry-inspired crawler. Damn, how do i explain...

the LoT crawlers (to ME, it's my opinion, JEEEZ) play with a much more present strategical layer, fuck, layer(S), that dovetail into every single gameplay system the game utilizes. It's brilliantly designed, and I mean that in the sense of "these people knew EXACTLY what they wanted to do and how to implement it"; anyway to finish up: in my opinion the LoT crawler formula is meant to drive players to view the game more like a strategy game than the normally tactical Wiz-clone crawler (which are lacking in strategical extrapolation) where the player needs to think long-term and needs to concentrate not on the isolated incidental gameplay (building up a kickass character! wait, no?) and instead to start living in the game's "macro", a literal counterpoint to a Wiz-clone game's "micro". I can't explain it any better if i go on i'll sound stupider.

but yes, good crawlers. totes different from Wizardry, much more than games like the Etrian Odyssey series. I *thought* the EO series was a new off-shoot blossoming from the Wizardry-design branch but man, after playing LoT the EO games seem like carbon copies of a wizardry game in comparison to LoT. the differences that I had before cited that "made EO games fundamentally different to Wizardry" are quite simply not that big if we're taking into context the existence of crawlers like the two LoT games and specifically talking about how these games live and breath.

also, i really miss the first-person view dungeons. now, of course you'll call me a faggot (that was a figurative "you") but my reason is simple: one of the biggest reasons I enjoy playing Wiz-style crawlers, or even non-Wiz-style crawlers since what I'm about to say is not Wiz-specific is the simple and tactile way in which you move through the world. WASD/Arrow-Keys, and the directional inputs are cardinal.

With the LoT isometric/cavalier/whatever perspective they accomplished one thing very well and that is creating a truly more maze-like vessel for the player to trawl through. The view point and the directions and all that serve to make the LoT mazes very much true-blue mazes. However I don't find myself enjoying traversing them THAT much, and while I definitely recognize and appreciate their minimalist approach to a hard-core dungeon design i find myself experiencing something truly... inexplicable:

- I find myself feeling that even though these isometric mazes are, by their very MAKEUP, almost always more challenging to the players navigational senses and the psychological logistics are skewed much more than in a Wiz-clone dungeon.

- I also find myself feeling detached from the navigation precisely because it is isometric and it looks like a board game. The first-person view of the dungeon maze has imprinted itself on me in such a way that it feels closer to god than a church. In closing, what i'm saying in this last sentence is basically that even though the overhead LoT mazes are maze-ier the lack of the first-person view disengages me.

This reasoning is as i said, inexplicable, because it is irrational. I've been trying to pin point in my head where the true spirit of each approach to the maze excludes the other since i've been playing the game and i'll probably make a long thread about it that'll get merged into the Wizardry series thread by Infinitron and I will literally want to fucking explode.

there's a lot to be said for a game where you can just hold enter to continue walking foward, and where bumping into walls is a feature. Stuff like dark-zones and spinners, just to use some very basic examples, are the stuff of happiness and they are part and parcel of the first-person view dungeon experience.

EDIT: Shit, i fucking forgot one of the most salient observations on this subject:

- The LoT crawler favors a design that does not utilize skinner boxes. This is the single most important detail when discussing how LoT differs from a traditional Wizardry-inspired approach. Of course, yes, I know there *are* _some_ elements of casino gaming in the LoT games but they're there because they're there, they're not there because they matter.

The Wizardry design formula to this day is the only one to have ever successfully implemented layer upon layer of casino game design, or skinner boxes if you will, or whatever the fuck you want to call it-- these elements are not used as a crutch nor as a band-aid nor even as a TREAT for the player; in actuality these elements in Wiz-clones are utilized in lockstep with every single other gameplay system operating in the game. Fixed encounters, trapped chests, random loot tied to floor and not to enemies, random damage, random resistances, random level-up attribute gains and losses, random amounts of enemies appearing in a given encounter; evreything leads into each other beautifully and they managed to strike a very, VERY elegant balance wherein all of this "randomization" (there is no such thing as randomization, btw) NEVER makes the player feel "cheated" in any way, be it from their "loot" or in a deeper, more intellectual sense.

This is a primary reason Wizardry-type games are INFINITELY replayable.

Now, turning very briefly towards the studio(s) behind SiSC i have only played Gen XTH: Code Hazard and am currently playing through Wizardry XTH: Unlimited Students while I try to figure out how to translate it someday and to me it seems that the biggest difference is in the handling of the "random" elements. It seems to me like they don't fully grasp how to strike the same balance that Wiz 1-5 did with their skinner boxes. I found that in Gen XTH and in Wiz XTH they wanted to establish themselves as seperate from being straight-up copies of Wizardry games with their crafting system, and I have never, ever in my life played a more tedious and soul-crushing crafting system than the one in their games. Of course I still LIKE their games, enoguh so that it makes me wish they did better because it SEEMS like they can do better. The excess of "loot" that is required as a system-wide crutch to help prop up the completely unnecessarily convoluted and nigh-DEGENERATE crafting system completely fucks up any sort of elegance that might have been in these matters.

oh, the joy of winning a battle and getting a crafting part! woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow. Can't wait to STOP EXPERIENCING THE ACTUAL GAME, i.e. DUNGEON CRAWLING, SO I CAN GO BACK TO THE LABORATORY AND SPEND 40 MINUTES CYCLING THROUGH ENDLESS MENUS.

<(' '<)

thankfully I'm hearing a lot of good things about SiSC and most important of all... crafting is gone, if i understand things correctly? or minimized and/or transformed into an ACTUAL crafting system, like the one in Elminage, instead of a DEGENERATE one?

(>' ')>

Last edited:

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
thankfully I'm hearing a lot of good things about SiSC and most important of all... crafting is gone, if i understand things correctly? or minimized and/or transformed into an ACTUAL crafting system, like the one in Elminage, instead of a DEGENERATE one?

(>' ')>

Yeah, crafting is gone. Another change is ID'ing stuff is now a character skill you can pick at chargen, rather than a class skill. And even if you don't bother, stuff is automatically ID'd when you return to your home area amyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom