Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Duke Nukem Forever - Gold

baronjohn

Cipher
I want to hate this game, but ahhhhhhh it brings back memories. Even the weapons are mostly the same.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Looks just like every other console shooter ever released. They ain't selling me the game on familiarity and nostalgia alone, because I'm not a vapid consumer whore.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Finally tried the demo -- about as good as you can expect in today's market. Will wait for a sale.

Stynes

Barely Literate
i saw my older brother play duke nukem i think when i was a little kid. i was scared from pig dudes back then but i am grown man now. after playing the all time classi call of duty 4 my reguirements are higher, and i just simply can't shoot some hog monsters from space anyumore. it's 2011. wake up people. game needs a coherent narrative. it needs hyperrealism, not a forgotten relics from past.

4m3rica

Educated
Maybe Duke should have never been necroed. We need old games to die in their own rite. Imagine Baldur's Gate 2 in a DA:O system. It would never hold up. We need to encourage shitty game designers to at least create their own shitty games...but they fear that, because they have no imagination or creativy and rely on old game fanboyism, it will fail. And it should. Kill them all.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I played the demo earlier today. I was initially impressed by the intro and some of the humour, but it descended very quickly into juvenile idiocy. What really killed it for me was the "trying too hard" attitude - Duke 3D had a lot of the crassness and innuendo, but it was never 100% at the forefront. Forever is doing its best to copy the original, failing, and then amplifying that failure by about ten times. Sorry, Gearbox, drawing cocks on whiteboards is not what Duke Nukem is about.

The actual gameplay itself is a mixed bag. I didn't have the mouse issues some people claim to have, and the actual controls were pretty fluid and responsive for me. Visuals were detailed, but way too bland and surprisingly dark for my liking, despite clearly trying to emulate Duke 3D once again. The "two weapons at once" thing feels like a pointless contrivance designed for the sake of modern trend-hopping (along with the vehicle section and regenerating health), and the perhaps most damningly, level design lacks much of the openness of the original that made it so replayable - instead of secrets around every corner and multiple approaches to every level, you've got a bunch of "cinematic" moments, scripted boss fights, button-mashing and short, linear levels. At least there are gadgets, but their use will probably be extremely limited, hand-holdy, and only required in extremely specific circumstances, rather than them being optional augments to fit into the player's unique style.

I have to wonder if the demo itself is just bad, especially considering that it's so short that I was genuinely surprised. I'm used to short demos, but seriously, I don't think I played this thing for 20 minutes before it was over, and that's including the intro movies and fiddling with the options menu (I also died once because I got stuck on level geometry).

Overall it's not terrible, doesn't necessarily indicate the final game will be a complete train-wreck, and some of the run-and-gun enjoyment of Duke 3D is there, it's just buried under layers of modern trends and piss-coloured graphics. I am genuinely puzzled why there is so much scripting, so many cutscenes, the two weapons at once thing etc. going on - are they trying to make a throwback game with fast and fun gameplay? Are they making a more realistic and modern shooter? It feels like some weird amalgamation of the two and it just doesn't work, and almost makes me think it's the result of executive meddling at the hands of someone who struggles to breathe, bitching because it doesn't have iron sights, vehicles or a turret section, because Call of Duty has them and it sells X million copies. That, or Gearbox just does not understand why Duke 3D is so fondly remembered - whatever they might think, it's not just because of the attitude.

Even though I think the game has some potential, I'd still steer well clear of it and stick with Serious Sam.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Multi-headed Cow said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVbyEa1h654 Here's the whole demo without GOD DAMN NERDS NERDING IT UP.
Looks like every goddamn modern shooter out there...but with 'humor'.

Ermm

Erudite
This game doesn't look like made in the 90s, because of it's cinematic moments among other things.

Luzur

Good Sir
i am very unsure about this game, ive been looking around on opinions about it on the net, and aside of the usual "HEY MAN DUKEY NUKUM IS BACK FFUUU YEEAHHHH I NEVER PLAYED IT MYSELF CUZ I WASNT EVEN BORN WHEN IT CAME OUT BUT MA GRANDPA TOLD ME ALL THE COOL STUF LIKE NAKED LADIES!!11!!" comments i only find "i'll try it out but not sure if i'll buy it, dont feel like Duke to me".

so it seems the older guys that played the original dont really know what to think.

FatCat

Educated
nothing good gameplay wise , the only good thing is some dukes one liners which are very few in numbers compared to Duke Nukem 3D.Gameplay is meh , SS HD is much better , really not worth buying for sure , but worth pirating for shits and giggles all in all i give the demo 6/10 , oh and driving mechanics apparently ware designed by 5 years old. + 2 weapon limit and regen life

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
sea said:
I played the demo earlier today. I was initially impressed by the intro and some of the humour, but it descended very quickly into juvenile idiocy. What really killed it for me was the "trying too hard" attitude - Duke 3D had a lot of the crassness and innuendo, but it was never 100% at the forefront. Forever is doing its best to copy the original, failing, and then amplifying that failure by about ten times. Sorry, Gearbox, drawing cocks on whiteboards is not what Duke Nukem is about.

'Trying too hard' is a great way to put it. They ruined the humor with blanket vulgarity in pretty much every form they could think of -- of course that's probably what the target audience for this game craves. It is less about reviving a series the people who played the first ones remember fondly and more about cashing in with people who never even heard of it but are impressed by pictures of cocks and boobies.

Also I rage whenever they put vehicles in an FPS. :x

Stylo123

Barely Literate
why so much hate for regen health?

c'mon people you wanted this shitty 90s game with shitty 90s design, and you are still complaining?

gromit

Arcane
sea said:
designed for the sake of modern trend-hopping
It's my understanding that this is exactly why the game's over a decade late. To paraphrase a former employee: "George would go home, play a new game, fall in love with a set-piece or gimmick, and rush in the next morning demanding we put it in, and do it better." Resultingly, for the vast majority of its existence the project was little more than a series of high-functioning tech demos and test-maps. I forget the exact phrase Gearbox would later use, but it seemed quite on-the-nose: "It's now our job to take all these bits and pieces, and make a game out of them."

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Manhattan Project had an amusing veriation of health regen where killing enemies would add some health (ego).
Is it the same in Forever?

Ladders & Snakes

Educated
Stylo123 said:
why so much hate for regen health?

c'mon people you wanted this shitty 90s game with shitty 90s design, and you are still complaining?

Yeah 90s game with two weapons, regenerative health, cinematics... :M

Stabwound

Arcane
I'm under the impression that this is not even remotely close to what DNF was originally like and this junk was just developed over the past few years, using the DNF name for the obvious publicity.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom