Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Dune, best boardgame ever, reprinted by GF9

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
Back in the 80s I mostly played RPGs, but a few boardgames were worthy of unforgettable evenings by my group. We did some Pax Britannica, Republic of Rome, and a few other complex games that allowed us to take a fun break from the last campaign.

Dune was originally released in 1979. Yeah that's right, it was not all Risk and Monopoly back then. By the time I played it it was a complete rarity here in Spain around the late 80s, already out of print for years and a cult classic people wishpered about in gaming shops. A friend's friend happened to own it, and I got a chance to play; unfortunately 33 years later I don't remember much of what happened, but some of the game's magic remained in me and never left. Tense negotiations, deceit, betrayal, six entirely different factions with completely different rules, alliances made and broken... way, way more intrincate and satisfying than anything I had seen in Pax Britannica, Machiavelli or RoR.

So, a few months ago the game gets a reprint and revised rules (they stay 99% true to the original). No bullshit modern balance, mind you, mostly rules clarification and stuff like that. I immediately got it, with little hope to ever find five other people crazy and committed enough to become capable players. We're a family of four, and we've been playing many boardgames like Agricola, Puerto Rico and stuff like that over the years, but we were playing less and less lately. My kids are adults already, and take games seriously, but they're busy with their studies so I doubted we could get focused over such an assymetric game with so many tactical layers.

abPHj9g.png

Well, I was wrong. This thing is crazily addictive. We're playing it every weekend since then, and sometimes friends come over to complete the game to the ideal six-player setup. It has always been incredibly fun... even that 15 minutes game in which the Harkonnen took everyone by surprise to win in turn 1.

This is a boardgame like no other, mainly because of the highly thematic content and mechanics, and because of the assymetry. Every faction is completely different, and every special rule in them is a well thought reference from the book and makes you go "wow" and want to try that faction.

A few examples: the Bene Gesserit is the weakest faction, military speaking; but they make a prediction before the game starts on which other player will win, and on what turn. It it comes true, the BG wins instead! Of course, you work towards the prophecy becoming fulfilled, and you need to mislead other players about it. Also there's the traitors. Every player holds one traitorous leader from one of the other factions... except Harkonnen, which hold four, and also get twice the "Treachery" cards during the game, and can capture and use enemy leaders. Every turn there's an auction of Treachery Cards, but the auction is blind! only the Atreides player gets to look at the cards first, and can keep notes on what other players have. And this is just the tip of the iceberg, the game is simply amazing. Each faction is truly unique.

SU&SD Review (I disagree with the "too complex" second part, but still a good roundup of the game)

So that's what I wanted to share. If you're into this kind of game, I wholeheartedly recommend it. But only if you can get a proper group, and the game is supposed to be played by six. It's passable with four, but something is missing.

ADL

Prophet
After hearing very good things about this, I pre-ordered the reprint and it's been sitting my closet still in the shrink wrap since November. Sucks not having IRL friends to play with.

ADL

Prophet
After hearing very good things about this, I pre-ordered the reprint and it's been sitting my closet still in the shrink wrap since November. Sucks not having IRL friends to play with.
Would you consider selling it?
Nah I intend on playing it eventually but here you go, that's cheaper than what I paid for it on Amazon (before it sold out)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dune-The-B...255962?hash=item4b74827d1a:g:5OUAAOSw9tFeTFpp

Sranchammer

Arcane
Vatnik
Would you consider selling it?
Nah I intend on playing it eventually but here you go, that's cheaper than what I paid for it on Amazon (before it sold out)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dune-The-B...255962?hash=item4b74827d1a:g:5OUAAOSw9tFeTFpp
Skype party!

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron

I'm in the same boat currently :lol: looking for the opportunity to get it to the table.

I also own and enjoyed a few times the GOT boardgame, which is similar in it's fuckery but with less asymmetry. With these kinds of games you either have to find the right people to play with or space out the different matches long enough so grudges don't settle and people don't end up stabbing each other IRL.

Silva

Arcane
Damn, this arrived some 20 years late. I had some dune aficionado friends back in college and we would probably have a great time with this. But now everyone lives miles away from each other and realistically this would never see table.

Btw, I'm watching this let's play here...

.. And something that bothered me a bit is how the Atreides player, because of its prescience ability, is the one scheming and manipulating the table most of the time, while the Bene Gesserit one is mute most of the time. Shouldn't it be the other way around?

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
.. And something that bothered me a bit is how the Atreides player, because of its prescience ability, is the one scheming and manipulating the table most of the time, while the Bene Gesserit one is mute most of the time. Shouldn't it be the other way around?

Everyone is scheming. The Atreides has an edge with the auction, true, but most it does is inconvenience other players, not crush them. Atreides in most games is the first natural victim in the board, with Arrakeen being taken from them in the first turns in nearly every game and they playing on the defensive until they regroup.

BG is *the* big schemer. They have troops everywhere, flipped as "advisors", so they can really attack where it hurts most. The voice powers and strong leaders guarantee they're formidable in battle even with just a few troops. And their prediction ability is amazing for mind games: imaging a rival alliance is about to win. If you can make them believe that is your prediction, they may freak out. It's just beautiful when it works, and sometimes all you have to do is pretend to play a bit more passively...

Silva

Arcane
Got mine with the expansion.

By the way, what are your thoughts on the expansion?

My superficial impression is that Ixians look great but the Tleilaxu not so much (Face Dancers look too random, and those "spice bribe" abilities feel wonky). There's some interesting new cards, but overall they seem to dilute the tight logic of the original deck.

DavidBVal ?

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
Got mine with the expansion.

By the way, what are your thoughts on the expansion?

My superficial impression is that Ixians look great but the Tleilaxu not so much (Face Dancers look too random, and those "spice bribe" abilities feel wonky). There's some interesting new cards, but overall they seem to dilute the tight logic of the original deck.

DavidBVal ?

Sadly I haven't played this since last Christmas, and while I read a review I didn't get the expansion yet. Indeed my feeling is that adding anything else will make it worse, but I suppose once the pandemic is finally over and we can play 6-games again, I'll buy it and give it a go.

Silva

Arcane
My group is already sold on the game and we'll be playing as soon as pandemics give us a break.

We'll probably play advanced rules but ignore advanced combat (and the accompanying double spice blow) as we found it makes things too fiddly. I see there's discussion around Fremen strength in this context, some groups finding them weak without their advanced combat ability (where they don't need to pay spice for troops), while others think they're fine as their problem was never combat but the lack of attractive abilities to offer potential allies on nexus. Any thoughts on this DavidBVal ?

We'll also outlaw "spice bribes" at first, as this seems the main factor increasing play time. You can still bribe people with information or actions, of course: "Hey Atreides, if you show me the next 3 cards in this bidding, I'll throw some troops on that Harkonnen force approaching Arrakeen...."

Back to the Expansion, the Ixians seem a really well-thought bunch. The extra stronghold opens up the game by increasing the total to 6, and their "technology supply" ability messes up the Atreides bidding power, both good IMO.

Last edited:

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Cosmic Encounter by the same designers is a much better board game, maybe my favorite of all time. But Dune is pretty good, if a bit rigid.

Silva

Arcane
Cosmic Encounter by the same designers is a much better board game, maybe my favorite of all time. But Dune is pretty good, if a bit rigid.
Half the fun of Dune is the theme. For fans of the universe it feels like a roleplaying experience. But yeah, it has its share of shitty rules.

I see there's a new version of Cosmic Encounter. Is it improved from the old one?

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I see there's a new version of Cosmic Encounter. Is it improved from the old one?
There have been many editions of it. If you mean the Fantasy Flight edition from 2008, it's great. There's 8 (?) expansions already. I can't recommend it enough. I can't say how it improved on previous editions aside from the great art and materials, as I haven't played them, but the core seems the same. The game is very modular, so things you like can be added on top of the lean core, and options are present in the base game and in each expansion.

Games are rather short compared to long games like Dune or GoT, yet you have alliances, bluffing, double-crossing, hand-building, and randomness management. Just the good stuff. And the game is immensely replayable as the combination of aliens you get varies every game, and each expansion adds up to 40 more.

Akratus II

Savant
Patron
A couple weeks ago I watched the review you posted, now I've bought the game at my lfgs. Looking forward to playing it!

Last edited:

Akratus II

Savant
Patron
I can only say that the current iteration is definitely the best boardgame I've played so far. The replayability is off the damn charts. I'm lucky to have a group of friends to play with.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom