Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dune: Spice Wars - 4X/RTS from Wartales developers

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://www.dunegames.com

Published by Funcom. Coming to Early Access.

tagline000.png

A real-time strategy game with 4X elements, from the developers of the critically acclaimed Northgard. Set in Frank Herbert’s groundbreaking Dune universe, you must lead your faction and battle for control and dominance over the harsh desert planet of Arrakis.

Spice is the most valuable resource in the universe. The spice extends life, it expands consciousness and makes interstellar travel possible. Create your own story and play as one of several factions, including House Atreides and House Harkonnen, and compete for power over Dune and the spice.

Scan the landscape for wormsign or risk losing your troops and spice harvesters to titanic sandworms who will burst through the sand dunes to swallow and devour them whole. Best your opponents through political intrigue, crush them in combat, and undermine them with your network of illusive spies.

Title1_eng.png

Portrait_04.png

Experience the unique Dune universe – one of the most influential sci-fi settings ever created. Play as iconic characters, such Duke Leto Atreides, the Baron Vladimir Harkonnen and more, and guide your faction to victory. Watch for the constant threat of the massive sandworms, who dominate the dangerous landscape of Dune.

Title2_eng.png

Screen_05.png

Choose between subterfuge, political influence, economic supremacy, or open warfare to prevail and gain control over the most important planet in the universe! Use secretive agents to sabotage the plans of your opponents. Vote on political resolutions in the Landsraad to further your strategy.

Title3_eng.png

Explore Dune with ornithopters to discover resources, villages, and points of interest. Expand with your troops to take control of more and more regions. Exploit the resources through buildings and spice harvesters to dominate the economy. Exterminate your enemies with a strong military but beware as outright aggression can have high political repercussions.

ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif

Title4_eng.png

A beginning is the time for taking the most delicate care...

The game will be updated and expanded during Early Access based on your feedback. More features and content, improved balance and new game modes will be added in the Early Access period, based on the crucial input of the community.

testquote_eng.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Riskbreaker

So, obviously not intentional but rather the result of the background screen being slightly darkened, but still hilarious:
ss_2bc221ff784f99548d345e171b1cb236fecb22ac.jpg

Note the portraits, especially the girl. Those Harkonnen animals have access to some ungodly Tleilaxu tech, methinks.

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Maybe the girl is just Rachel Dolezal-style "internally black" transracial person who puts on a ton of makeup on everyday before going to work?

Anyway, I am fairly sceptical about how the RT aspect will play out. TB would be a much safer option for a game like this... but we will see.

Also wonder who are going to be the other two playable factions. Will Ordos be in? I would much rather see them sticking closely to the books, so maybe playable Fremen and House Corrino?

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, Northgard was pretty great, so... consider my interest mildly piqued.

Not sure what to think about them developing multiple games at once - is the team larger than I thought?

Arrowgrab

Arbiter
The Hype must flow!

Also, I hope Ordos won't be in it. For one, this isn't a remake or reboot of Dune 2 / 2000, but a brand new game. Two, Ordos was a complete misunderstanding of what Dune is about. The designated "sneaky treacherous" house? In Dune, ALL noble houses are sneaky and treacherous to various degrees, they wouldn't survive otherwise. The designated "extra sneaky treacherous" house? Dune's already got one, it's the Harkonnens.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Man, I really want more Dune strategy games.

Hopefully these guys can produce something playable. Doesn't look like Wartales was anything special so keeping expectations in check.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
I've been wanting a game like this for a while. I'm glad there's a game on the horizon, but I'm also keeping my expectations very, very low.

The Dopamine Cleric

Prospernaut
Shitposter
Everytime someone tries to draw something similar to the book it fails repetedly.

David Lynch atleast got the 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea vibe correct.

I hope when they say real-time they mean it's going to work kind of like a Paradox game with briefer, more rapid ticks. I'm not a fan of the style 4X generally do where ticks are staggered out much further apart. However, I suspect what they actually mean is just something where all players can move their units around in a real-time fashion but the economy still does the really slow ticks.

Napalm

Novice
Also wonder who are going to be the other two playable factions. Will Ordos be in? I would much rather see them sticking closely to the books, so maybe playable Fremen and House Corrino?
It would be somewhat weird to have Corrinos just as your average house. Maybe Fenring? While Count Fenring in book was just hanging out as Emperor's emissary and agent, it wouldn't be a huge stretch to assume that his house must have had at least some capability to enable him doing the whole planetary governor job when needed.

vota DC

Augur
It would be somewhat weird to have Corrinos just as your average house. Maybe Fenring? While Count Fenring in book was just hanging out as Emperor's emissary and agent, it wouldn't be a huge stretch to assume that his house must have had at least some capability to enable him doing the whole planetary governor job when needed.
Wasn't Fenrig emperor's mentat? He has hiw own dinasty but sounds just like a buffed Thufir Hawat that couldn't do much alone against Atreides or Harkonnen.
Corrino wouldn't play much different from Atreides or Harkonnen. Atreides are popular in Landsraad despite being poor, Harkonnen are rich, Corrino are super rich but suffer terrible leadership and Landsraad obey only because fear. Fremen would play totally different just like GLA in C&C Generals.

Trithne

Erudite
I don't think it's grid based at all.

I enjoyed Northgard for what it was, tentatively interested.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom