Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dungeon Rats - first impressions and general feedback

Tigranes

Arcane
I often find medbot the toughest fight, across various builds and party sizes, simply because you have three fast hard hitting enemies whose atk/def is too much for 10/10 chars.

Of course, if you've been saving up on bombs, you can spam them - and/or liquid fire - for awesomebutton. Unless youve used them very liberally you should have at least half a dozen bombs to waste.

Emprah - ive never found the archers to hit much except if you go forward and bare your back to them, or on lucky crits. Main thing seems to be using fire, nets, positioning to keep the melee guys away and get them one at a time. Especially since there are specific rangea where the spearman comes to throe net and the swordsman the firebomb. Emprah himself is best taken out first with bomb/net and focus fire so he doesnt heal interminably. Roxana usually eats through archers and half the melee guys; on solo i found best way for dodgers is to start right up front and dash to the balcony with 2 archers, where you can control the flow of melee dudes and get in the face of the 2 archers to kill them in turn 1/2. The other archer on the other side never seems to hit a 10 dodger.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
I thought the door strategy was my secret strategy nobody else knew.
Why can't I be special even on the internet? :negative:

Jrpgfan

Erudite
At first I thought that was the only way to win that fight on solo. Actually I haven't beat that fight solo in any other way. There probably are builds that can do it, but with the characters I made that fight was impossible without doing that, even with my blocker.

Oh, talking about the medbot fight btw. Although it applies to the last fight too I guess.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Started a new playthru with a solo axeman.

After first considering a ragequit at the antfarm (seriously, VD, I have no idea why you've decided to frontload your game with its worst part, it's basically Temple of Trials all over again), I'm actually pretty surprised to see that I'm having an easier time with the later stuff than with a party of 3. I'm kind of steamrolling through everything and everyone - just chopped up Reinard for BBQ at like 3rd try or so, while I remember having huge trubble with him during the previous playthrough.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Any tips for this fight?

IWFhCXX.jpg

J2xVz9n.jpg

Party is also in the spoiler above. My problem is that i have no fire oil left (I know..), 1 frag bomb (could make more, but trying to conserve), and I really don't want to use neurostims since I only have ~6 of the roots left. I have 7+ nets and plenty of poison but I don't survive to take advantage of them.

Gear is all best iron found or crafted w/ 7 crafting, and best steel where appropriate. Marcus and Ismail have good 1h and 2h weapons, I've been approaching it giving both their 2h variants, and Marcus a -15% THC + 40% Damage berserk potion, but the enemies dropping the net + bomb combo on me always leaves my group too weakened after my two ranged people go.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
get a proper bow instead of that baby fart thrower, two barbed arterials into baldie knife guy (may need a neurostim), clobber down hammer guy with your melees, then shoop ordu out, then kill enforcer (with net for good measure, maybe even net him at turn one), preferably while bodyblocking the spearman to make him suicide into AoOs. Knife thrower is a scrublord, leave him for last, axe guy is a low threat.

makiavelli747

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Village Idiot Shitposter
Any tips for this fight?
Kill the guy on the right and alchemist before their turn(use poisoned knifes after xbow shot by Roxana). Then try to knock down their main guy with 1h hammer and poison everybody else. Use shield on your melee to protect shooters from xbow man.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
the 'alchemist' has only one nade iirc and then he just throws daggers, it's not really werf focusing him first

Jrpgfan

Erudite
He throws a bomb which can knock your party down. I'd focus him with my ranged guys first and would leave ismail to deal with the knife guy and Marcus to take care of the Enforcer. Killing these 3 first will make the fight a lot easier.

Tigranes

Arcane
If you use the bridge chokepoint and Roxana staggers the alchemist on turn 1, you can permanently ignore him - he will find the way ahead of him chocked with his teammates and stay back to throw daggers, and won't throw bomb.

Just use first turn to fall back couple squares so they bunch up, the only enemy that is remotely a threat ranged is the crossbowman and you can set up the angles so that he hits his teammates (it would be useful if you had a blocker, instead of 3 dodgers and 1 no-def).

Black Angel

Arcane
The Emprah's fight is driving me crazy. Seems like the only way for me is to follow Roxor's advice but I only had 1 neurostim left :(

Black Angel

Arcane
Well, finally won the fight. With one and only one neurostim for Roxy, 4 doses of lvl. 9 Alchemy poison, switching back and forth between Scimitar and Gladius with my char, and lucky crit shots from Roxy and few Snipe(s) from Hieron, it's all done. Really felt good but I don't know how I'm going to do with the Aurelians but for now :salute: good gaem, good sir(s).

Anyway, how to make regeneration potion? I can't seem to find the modifier ingredient for it, or perhaps I didn't pay enough attention to the description box so pardon me.

Last edited:

MrMarbles

Cipher
About halfway and loving it so far:salute:

Not a bug, but some people may perceive it as a bug: You can't craft certain items without being near a forge, which is fair enough. But, the game signals this by sort of freezing in the drop down item selection menu, and not registering the selection of one of those items.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
For Enforcer fight - in my party playthrough I blocked nude guy on the right with Ishmashel - he felt fine against it, and cut him with shamshit in 2-3 turns.
Net on Enforcer and hammer guy. Staggered thrower and killed on second turn, but now he isn't a treat. Crossbowman can kill Marcus in 2-3 turns so he is a treat.

agris

Arcane
Patron
For Enforcer fight - in my party playthrough I blocked nude guy on the right with Ishmashel - he felt fine against it, and cut him with shamshit in 2-3 turns.
Net on Enforcer and hammer guy. Staggered thrower and killed on second turn, but now he isn't a treat. Crossbowman can kill Marcus in 2-3 turns so he is a treat.
Yea, the crossbowman is a threat.

The way I handled it, and my party is not ideal at all, is to pull back onto the bridge and kill the bald knife thrower immediately with barbs to the skull. Once the melee enemies move forward, toss a bomb to soften them up (should be able to hit 3 at once), and the crossbowman will get one round of shots off. Next turn tho, wait for the enemy melee to crowd forward and block the crossbowman, and have Ismail / Marcus hold the line while you work through enemies to the right. Before you know it, you'll be flanking them and have an easy line for the crossbow guy.

edit: I had a lot of nets, so my front liners were netting the enforcer and anyone else who posed a threat. the enforcer's head is unprotected, and early poison via 2 AP throwing knives softens a lot of those guys up as well.

agris

Arcane
Patron
So I got the construct, and sent him to the forge to chill. I woke the demon, and my camp moved there but no construct. I recall reading that he's over a bridge or something, but I checked the bridge on the way back to the forge, and the ones on the way to the construct from the crystal caverns and didn't find him.

Where did my glass robo-cannon go?

edit: I also beat the super contructs without cheesing the encounter, although it did take a few tries to get the strategy down.

My CHA 8 MC bow user was more a liability than anything, so after his first round, he cowered in the back. With Marcus and Ismail, both equipped with good cavalry shields (for vsCS and vsRanged), Ismail off-tanks the left construct with the enforcer's gladius, while Marcus (wearing heavy iron imperial armor, AP 9 max but 10 DR) gulps down a berserk potion + extended neurostim (alch 8). A steel marculus sharpened w/ craft 8 will do a shit load of damage to the constructs with a berserk pot, and the shield helps keep him alive vs the ranged one and the melee crits. Crucially tho, Roxana has to land at least 3/4 of her first round headshots (2x double heavy, 2x hand xbow) on the same Construct attacking Marcus, so he finishes it off with a quick attack and softens up the second. Second round, Marcus bee-lines for the ranged guy, while Roxana and Ismail finish off the melee guy.

No cheesed doors or fire used, only ext. neurstim and ext. berserk.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
He should be in the camp somewhere, the characters seem to stay invisible and then spawn when you get near and that distance is like a few steps so walk all over the place.

agris

Arcane
Patron
He should be in the camp somewhere, the characters seem to stay invisible and then spawn when you get near and that distance is like a few steps so walk all over the place.
Actually, it is a bug. I activate the demon / claim the ancient facility without the construct in my party (it's at the forge), and he doesn't appear on the podium in the facility. If I activate the demon with the construct in my party, he's in the facility and on his podium like he should be.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Is there a difference between pilum and velite(?) that I've missed?

Also, I had a bug after I killed the Praefectus where I couldn't exit the top floor of his building and then I accidentally overwrote the save game after declining to enter the portal. Is there a different endgame slide if you kill him and activate the portal yourself or does it always end in Baltzar rape?

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Oh, that sucks. I expected another option. Love the game though, my solo spear/dodge run was intense. Never played a spear build in AoD, but holy shit is that passive amazing once you have some ranks in. Dodge was mostly for ranged enemies, melee ones could barely reach me.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Oh, that sucks. I expected another option. Love the game though, my solo spear/dodge run was intense. Never played a spear build in AoD, but holy shit is that passive amazing once you have some ranks in. Dodge was mostly for ranged enemies, melee ones could barely reach me.

Spear is best passive. If you ask me, its overpowered.

There is reason only spear-users can do ironman runs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom