Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dungeon Reels Tactics slots itself at Steam

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Tags: Dungeon Reels Tactics; Grandmas Basement Games

Dungeon Reels Tactics is now available on Steam. What is it? Well, holy snap, it's a turn based, party centric dungeon crawler with perma-death and some fairly interesting mechanics for things a lot of people just gloss over. It also goes for that 8bit graphics thing in 3D. It's currently on sale for $13.49 through May 8th. Anyway, here's the trailer and some summation:

Dungeon Reels Tactics is a party-based, roguelike, with slot machines and puppet shows! Collect new party members with their own pre-built slot machine reels and embark on an adventure to ATTEMPT to defeat The "Great Evil".... Traverse a map filled with enemy encounters, fate cards to resolve, treacherous bosses, and more!

Each run of Dungeon Reels Tactics will include a pool of 12 different characters you can recruit throughout the adventure. To gain new recruits you will need to collect soul shards from fallen foes, resolve fate cards, or purchase recruit tickets in the shop. If a party member falls in battle they will die and you will need to recruit a party member for the adventure.

I can't say I've ever used a slot machine style representation for the random number feedback display. I can definitely see pros and cons to this. It's turn based, so you have time to pay attention to it and it would build more suspense than just displaying a number. The downside being it does take time and could slow down the game. But hey, it's something I hadn't seen before and that's fine with me.

For those curious and want a slightly deeper dive, Turn Based Lovers has an overview.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
The slot machine mechanic is interesting. Not sure about a puppet show though. The art style appears to be very devoid of any life. Its best for the characters, icons and surroudings to be at least charming in one manner or another when creating retro mixed graphics.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
The art style appears to be very devoid of any life. Its best for the characters, icons and surroudings to be at least charming in one manner or another when creating retro mixed graphics.

When I first saw it, my first thought was "Darwinia: The Dungeon Crawler". They seem functional, but I also think the pixels might be a little large for the size of the characters and such. Maybe something like double the resolution of them and making them four color might work a bit better. I'd consider checking it out, but I have a bunch of projects I need to finish.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom