Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dungeon Siege III, DIALOGUE TREES CONFIRMED !

How much of a focus is story in this third game compared the last few entries?

NC: It is a core focus of the game, for instance we have a full branching dialogue system like Alpha Protocol or Mass Effect. That is something that wasn't in the first two games and is a core strength of Obsidian.It's what we're bringing to the franchise and one of the reasons why Square and Gas Powered wanted us to work with us.
Everything Obgoldian touches turns into gold!

:incline:

Link:
http://www.gamebanshee.com/news/101016- ... urope.html

MetalCraze

Arcane
Knowing how latest Obsidian games are dialogue options will be:

"What can you tell me about 1000 giant spiders I need to kill?"
"Why are they called giant spiders?"
"How is the weather today?"

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
*Yawn*
You may have game with C&C and interesting quests without dialogue trees. You may have railroaded shitfest with dialogue trees.
I'm glad what you used proper subforum, though.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Played ToEE recently. It's not nearly as much of a hack and slash as some you would make it - if you don't want it.

As buggy as advertised though (and the unofficial patch guys haven't a clue about it).

Oh troika.

KalosKagathos

Learned
That is something that wasn't in the first two games
My memory may be failing me, but weren't dialogue trees in DS 2 already? Haven't played the original DS, so can't tell if they were there as well.

Achilles

Arcane
That's great news. I didn't really like the first two games so maybe this one will be closer to my tastes.

Oesophagus

Arcane
I couldn't care less, the only thing i expect of this game is well done and entertaining combat. That was the only point of DS1, and I really liked it.

Moar info (stolen from the Obsidian boards):
-Companions can leave you if they are unhappy. If they are happy you get boni.
-Camera centers around the player
-No group, just one hero
-Seamless world, no loading screens
-You choose premade heroes, each with a different background
-Different endings

Oesophagus

Arcane
SimpleComplexity said:
Moar info (stolen from the Obsidian boards):
-Companions can leave you if they are unhappy. If they are happy you get boni.
-Camera centers around the player
-No group, just one hero
-Seamless world, no loading screens
-You choose premade heroes, each with a different background
-Different endings

Well that's a massive :decline: . So basically what Obsidian is doing is making another quasi-epic RPG with their lulzy dialogue?

That's the problem with those guys - they can only make ONE game. Everything they make is basically the same, is built around the same ideas. Here all they needed to do was write any 'ol plot for the sake of it and just throw tons of mobs at the player.

spectre

Arcane
Fuck yeah, now they can do romanceable npcs.

Oh wait, it's obsidian.

Reading that my guess is that it would work like in Diablo, only the PC is controllable but with several automated mercenaries or "companions" available to help. As shitty as the other games where at least they were party based, though the combat was so simple that it didn't really matter. If it will be a party based game with fairly complex combat something similar to ToEE it could perhaps be a decent hack and slash, though hoping for it is obviously to much.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Obsidian couldn't properly handle party-based action-RPG combat no matter how hard they try, so I'm okay with it. Solo action-ey combat may turn out to be more, uhm, manageable for them. Hopefully.

*Edited for gr8er justice*

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom