Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dungeon Siege III XBAWX 360 Demo out

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
PC comes on 7th June

Impressions by a gamebanshee user
I downloaded it when I saw the reminder here earlier. Played through the whole thing with Lucas, and I was very well pleased. Decently challenging on the normal level, with fluid combat and what looks like a robust loot and upgrade system. On top of that, it looked excellent, one of the better looking games I have played (though, admittedly, most of the games I play seem to get hammered for bad graphics).

I really felt the VA was above average as well, and the art design very pleasing. Overall, I'd say that the demo lived up to the faith and trust I had in Obsidian. Very much look forward to playing the full game, and I see myself putting 150+ hours into this puppy, just to master all classes and go through the whole story with a friend online, which is at least 5 playthroughs:)

crossing my fingers it does as well as it deserves and gets some DLC.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
and I see myself putting 150+ hours into this puppy, just to master all classes and go through the whole story with a friend online, which is at least 5 playthroughs

obsidian fans man am i rite bros

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Crooked Bee said:
can't wait! can't wait! hold me back

yXqpr.jpg

np bro now you're safe from dungeon siege 3

OuterSpace

Scholar
Just played it on by XBAWKS. combat mostly consists of rolling around and trying to take out the ranged attackers first. Also, when you die you can just choose to respawn instantly with full health. I played on hardcore and i got to this Witch boss battle that seemed like it would have been impossible if not for the constant respawning. Eqipment is kind of cool though; all items seem to have boost some stats while retracting from others, so you have to make a choice.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
OuterSpace said:
Also, when you die you can just choose to respawn instantly with full health.
WHAAAA....? Is there some kind of penalty for that? If not, what's the point of dying. You can just continue with max health.

Is thre a PS3 demo by the way?

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
J_C said:
OuterSpace said:
WHAAAA....? Is there some kind of penalty for that? If not, what's the point of dying. You can just continue with max health.

The penalty is that you suck.

But seriously that doesn't sound appealing. Will have to make rules/challenges for myself again

:x

JrK

Prophet
Is the respawn thing just a demo thing. For the retard console dudes that they want to avoid putting off with a demo. You know, until AFTER they paid full price.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Ruprekt said:
J_C said:
OuterSpace said:

TNO.jpg
But in PST you didn't continue the game from the place where you died. You either ressurected in the Mortuary, or at the entrance of the building. What mechanic does DS3 use? If you can continue the fight immediately after your death without penalty, than it is derp. If you ressurect at another place, and every enemy regains health, then it is acceptable, since you won't gain too much adventage from it.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
OuterSpace said:
I'm hoping that's a demo-only feature, I read that saving is disabled which would make replaying those sections a chore. Plus it'd make their companion-resurrecting feature completely superfluous (why revive with a fraction of health when you can get it all with a full wipe?).

J_C said:
Is thre a PS3 demo by the way?
Next week along with the PC version for everyone in the Kwa. European 360 and PS3 owners have to wait until the 22, after it's been released. I don't know why, but it serves them right.

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
The console version is catching hate because of the gimped multiplayer. Why the Fable style mutiplayer? Who wants to play a game that is all about fighting and looting without loot?

Sannom

Augur
J_C said:
(1) WHAAAA....? Is there some kind of penalty for that? If not, what's the point of dying. You can just continue with max health.

(2) Is thre a PS3 demo by the way?
(1) This sounds like a feature of the demo, to compensate for the fact that checkpoints and saves are disabled. I'm fairly confident it won't be in the final game.

(2) Next week for the U.S. June 22nd for Europe.

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
Kaanyrvhok said:
The console version is catching hate because of the gimped multiplayer. Why the Fable style mutiplayer? Who wants to play a game that is all about fighting and looting without loot?

Why not? The game is still an Obsidian game so probably way more focused on SinglePlayer and I can do multi with my buddies where it not matters. Also you still have your own loot (since its class specific).

Would be majorly disappointed if it was "just" about loot and fighting.

Also Torchlight :M

kris

Arcane
J_C said:
OuterSpace said:

Ask fable 3. The penalty is that you have to continue on playing.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Kaanyrvhok said:
The system isn't designed for that. They wanted it to be evocative of Secret of Mana instead of Diablo. You have a 15-20 hour game with a level cap of 30 and the ability to max out 2/3rds of your abilities which you'll most likely be able to do within the course of a single playthrough without too much backtracking/farming. Not much point in carrying over characters since there won't be much for you to do.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
Roguey said:
Not much point in carrying over characters since there won't be much for you to do.

just as likely because this is obsidian they probably only have time to balance the game for one runthrough instead of worrying over the new quirks of nightmare and hell difficulty

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
Roguey said:
The system isn't designed for that. They wanted it to be evocative of Secret of Mana instead of Diablo. You have a 15-20 hour game with a level cap of 30 and the ability to max out 2/3rds of your abilities which you'll most likely be able to do within the course of a single playthrough without too much backtracking/farming. Not much point in carrying over characters since there won't be much for you to do.

They should have known it would be a turnoff. There is a big demand on Live for games that are 100% co-op. That entire 15-20 hour game would be co-op and you would have to manage loot much like Castle Crashers which I believe is the best selling game of its type on the 360.

http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?t=650121

:) :) :)
co-op :? :(

IronicNeurotic

Arbiter
Kaanyrvhok said:
Roguey said:

They should have known it would be a turnoff. There is a big demand on Live for games that are 100% co-op. That entire 15-20 hour game would be co-op and you would have to manage loot much like Castle Crashers which I believe is the best selling game of its type on the 360.

http://forum.teamxbox.com/showthread.php?t=650121

:) :) :)
co-op :? :(

Fuck Selling or demand. We're the codex here for fucks sake. Not popularity website x100. If I wanted a shitty diablo clone I would get a shitty diablo clone. I don't expect a shitty diablo clone from Obsidian of all people.

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
IronicNeurotic said:
Fuck Selling or demand. We're the codex here for fucks sake. Not popularity website x100. If I wanted a shitty diablo clone I would get a shitty diablo clone. I don't expect a shitty diablo clone from Obsidian of all people.

I'm all for flooding the mainstream with good single player RPGs. There is a market for that as well. However Dungeon Siege is not the proper vehicle for a rich single player experience. Its a beatemup that like other games of its type tries to sell this fassad of being an RPG. If you are going to make a beatemup action game then you should round it out and make the co-op complete like Diablo.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom