Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Anime Dungeon Travelers series

Discussion in 'jRPG Weeaboo Discussion' started by Carpincho Pampeano, Sep 15, 2021.

1. Carpincho Pampeano Educated

Carpincho Pampeano
    Let's talk about a hardcore dungeon crawler series relegated to obscurity because animu girls. Have you played them?
    [​IMG]
    I bought a vita to play this series and i was not dissapointed, i even think it's better than Etrian Odyssey, this game has actual dungeons.

• Brofist x 1
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • nice x 1
    • meh x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. RNGsus True Neutral Patron

RNGsus
    No, but what do you mean actual dungeons?

^ Top  
  3. Suicidal Arcane

Suicidal
    I've heard good things about this game and wanted to try it but to my knowledge there is no way to play it on PC in English:

The PSP version of the game can be emulated but is Japan-only
    The Vita version of the game is in English, but there are no Vita emulators

• When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. j2alg Literate

j2alg
    https://wololo.net/2018/12/22/tutor...lay-vita-games-on-a-bigger-screen-in-minutes/

:^)

In all seriousness, the whole list:

PC: Final dragon chronicle
    PSP: DT1 (massive remake of the above)
    PSP: DT2

the PSP games are easily emulated.

Vita: DT1 port (with some gameplay changes taken from DT2)
    Vita: DT2 <----- the only game available in English, enhanced port of the PSP original
    Vita exclusive: DT2-2, sequel

I played the whole series, it's fantastic. I was crazy for EO for hundreds of hours, but I didn't like the recent direction. That's why finding this series was like manna from the heavens

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Matador Arcane

Matador
    What does this game series better than EO?

^ Top  
  6. Carpincho Pampeano Educated

Carpincho Pampeano
    While EO is more about FOE puzzles in dungeon navigation, Dungeon Travelers has dark zones, anti magic zones, and full of traps that cause status ailments or dispel buffs.Dungeon wise i never got lost in EO while it's something more common in Dungeon Travelers because past mid game it's full of teleport mazes. Let's also not get into the post game, the post game in Dungeon Travelers is HUGE, just as long as the main game or more, reminds me of Elminage Gothic where the post game is the real game and the main story is just the tutorial. Here's a quick review of someone that didn't got filtered like most journos https://nichegamer.com/reviews/dungeon-travelers-2-review/

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. j2alg Literate

j2alg
    Though they are similar in a lot of aspects, EO and DT ultimately offer very different experiences, e.g. EO lets you create a party while DT has named characters that gradually join your side like in a lot of JRPGs.
    EO isn't character-driven and there aren't a lot of conversations like in DT, which was created by the visual novel developers Leaf/Aquaplus with help by Sting. As a result DT has a lot more quality voice acting and amusing writing, which is something EO doesn't excel at (and in the case of post Untold titles, most the time is aggressively bad at). Both have a cutesy cartoony look but still distinct, it's up to taste and I think both have good artstyles.
    Both have intense combat systems where enemies are fast and deadly with its encounter designs, e.g. there are 5 enemies in different rows, 2 have powerful area attacks, 2 spam you with status effects and 1 heals/buffs the rest. Character building is fun in both, though I consider DT's class system a superior version of EOV's second names which has a lot of issues.
    Where DT wins in my book is the postgame. In EO it's always short and beatable by whatever classes, in all DT games it's absolutely massive and demands that you utilize all classes. This is the most divisive aspect, but I like it when you're encouraged to frequently rotate your party members and deal with level differences rather than steamrolling everything with the same few people.
    Both have a tiny budget which shows with enemy recolors and such, though EO has the edge with having Yuzo Koshiro on its side. DT composers aren't bad but can't really keep up.
    Also I agree with the above post, DT dungeon designs are a lighter and softer version of Wizardry designs. They have an automap and are pick-up-and-play friendly, and they still beat EO dungeon designs which honestly are overwhelmingly a travesty.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. didntdemon Novice

didntdemon
    I too have dabbled a few hours in DT1 on the PSP emulator, and it seems pretty decent. Though i feel the combat and turn-order system is on the simpler side, and far less chaotic as something like the Elminage series. If I'm not wrong Aweigh has plenty of good stuff to say about the game too.

But after a while the lack of English translation becomes too much of a hassle to me. If there ever were a language patch I'll be sure to be back.

^ Top  
  9. Ventidius Savant

Ventidius
    Dungeon Travelers 2 is probably the only modern Japanese blobber that I've played that comes close to Elminage Gothic in terms of the complexity of its dungeon design.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Fluent Scholar Patron The Real Fanboy

Fluent
    But DT2 has to be played on an actual Vita, right?

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. j2alg Literate

j2alg
    That's the only option for English players. Vita emulation isn't there (yet), so an actual Vita or the PSTV is the only way. I'm partial to the latter

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Dorarnae Arbiter

Dorarnae
    DT2-2 was good. though just wish it had a few more end game boss like DT2. but it's basically like DT2 but more balanced.

^ Top  
  13. CyberModuled Savant

CyberModuled
    I was half hoping Utawarerumono coming to PC last year meant Aquaplus would've started doing more PC releases, including DT2 but nothing's really happened since.

Guess it's not completely impossible to imagine someone like PQube or Marvelous trying to get the license for a Western release again since Aquaplus at least seem willing to do PC deals with companies now, but I'm not holding my breath at this point.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.