Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dungeons and Dragons Online - Fair Codexia Dead - DDO NEWs Thread!

Codex Year of the Donut
Is warlock still OP for solo heroic?
Or did they nerf the S-tier builds?
Unless it was nerfed, a (well-played) alchemist is definitely one of the better classes for soloing. Lower levels can be a bit of a pain until you get multi-vial SLA.

Then again, I just like alchemist(specifically, grenadiers) as a class, so I'm biased.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Is warlock still OP for solo heroic?

Yes. Mainly the cold damage pact, which can turn stuff into frozen statues forever.

(well-played) alchemist is definitely one of the better classes for soloing. Lower levels can be a bit of a pain until you get multi-vial SLA.

Yep. Alchemist is probably stronger, but WLK is the most noob friendly class in the game.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
summons suck

Depends the summon. In general summons from spells are very weak. However companions aren't. Pale Masters skeleton companion is akin to a fighter hireling and I've heard good things about druid wolf and Artificer. I still would prefer something like a Umbral creature for Pale Master, but is just my preference. Also, negative energy burst can damage enemies and heal you and your minion at the same time. Summons from spells, unless you are using mid level summons in low level dungeons with scrolls, tend to be worthless

Laughs in barbarian.

I believe that Paladins are even better for noobs. I mean, self buffs, self heal, heavy armor, good hit points and you fight a lot of undeads in mid levels.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Paladins has lots of QoL stuff, but barbarian don't even care. Just drink haste potion, run forward, gather big crowd and kill everyone. As someone said "if dungeon alert is not at least yellow you are playing barbarian wrong"

Zurat-Yarkuch

Savant
Decided to try the Barovian wilderness area in Ravenloft on Legendary in order to farm Vistani totems for a second Legendary barovian weapon. Wasn't very productive. Unfortunately rare monsters seem to appear in completely random spots and even the map on the DDOwiki didn't have accurate potential spawn locations for monsters.

That said it was really cool to actually explore it and even get snippets of lore from the various journals you find. It baffles me that they just let you teleport to the quest entrances and givers from the start, instead of having you find the location first before you can teleport to them. It gives no incentive to explore the wilderness area and leaves you without a sense of scale or direction of the world you are in. Very bizarre since exploring the wilderness really helps with immersion and atmosphere for the content.

infidel

StarInfidel
Developer
Strap Yourselves In
Decided to try the Barovian wilderness area in Ravenloft on Legendary in order to farm Vistani totems for a second Legendary barovian weapon. Wasn't very productive. Unfortunately rare monsters seem to appear in completely random spots and even the map on the DDOwiki didn't have accurate potential spawn locations for monsters.

That said it was really cool to actually explore it and even get snippets of lore from the various journals you find. It baffles me that they just let you teleport to the quest entrances and givers from the start, instead of having you find the location first before you can teleport to them. It gives no incentive to explore the wilderness area and leaves you without a sense of scale or direction of the world you are in. Very bizarre since exploring the wilderness really helps with immersion and atmosphere for the content.

I did that the last time I've played on heroic and rares are just a waste of time in that one, too many spawns and too huge of an area to check out. The best thing I've found was repeatedly doing the windmill quest. I think I've posted about it here but can't find the post now. IIRC, one attempt takes up to 5-7 mins and results in 1d2 tokens.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
while playing hardcore ive noticed that no one bothers with exploring and slaying in wilderness areas. Its weird. A lot of xp just by doing small detours

Zurat-Yarkuch

Savant
So I reincarnated my rogue toon. For my next life I'm playing a 19/1 Fighter/Rogue for tanking and doing traps while my friend is a sorcerer for DPS. In the lower level so far we are doing good. We got 5 Reaper points last life from doing epic quests on R1, so we are able to do R1 together so far.

However, I wish I knew that you couldn't change your last name when you reincarnated. It makes sense since everything is tied to your first name so that would stay the same, but I was hoping you would at least be able to change your last name. I gave my character a title that makes sense for a rogue but not a fighter.

Codex Year of the Donut
I wish you could 'save' one or two previous incarnations and return to them. I really liked the reincarnation idea, but my biggest pet peeve is that it makes it difficult to coordinate content with other people.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
After some reading I did during latest ironman festival i realized that reincarnation system became cancer along the way.
It used to be quite optional. There were very few completionists on the server, mind you that it was before xp boosts and weird items that lvl you up early. Most did 2 and be done with it, some builds required specific extra like 3x wizard for penetration.
Iconics didnt change that much and were skipped fine.

But this racial thing? Its mandatory to go completionist, total bonuses it provides are insane

Zurat-Yarkuch

Savant
After some reading I did during latest ironman festival i realized that reincarnation system became cancer along the way.
It used to be quite optional. There were very few completionists on the server, mind you that it was before xp boosts and weird items that lvl you up early. Most did 2 and be done with it, some builds required specific extra like 3x wizard for penetration.
Iconics didnt change that much and were skipped fine.

But this racial thing? Its mandatory to go completionist, total bonuses it provides are insane

To me at least the biggest power boost seems to be slowly gaining reaper points through reaper mode, since the defense tree provides a ton of bonus hp. Past lives don't seem that essential to me. Vooduspyce, a streamer I watch, said past lives are like icing on a cake. If your cake is crap it doesn't matter how much icing you put on it, it will still be a crap cake. The most important part is your underlying cake, aka build.

Zurat-Yarkuch

Savant
Finished Saltmarsh on heroic with my guildee. Really loved the content and Saltmarsh setting. Bullywug's are absolutely fantastic, there hopping animation is hilarious and really helps to distinguish them from other monstrous humanoids. I'm actually surprised how for a level 3 adventure (level 5 on elite) it actually gets quite epic. The original D&D creators really knew how to spin an adventure when they came up with these modules. Apparently they are going to keep doing adaptations of old modules which I am looking forward too.

I am nervous though with what is happening at modern Wizards of the Coast. I hope some random 5th edition twitter user doesn't discover the game and set the trans mafia on the developers for "problamatic" content.

Zurat-Yarkuch

Savant
Yes. She went from being Ellen to Quentin. If you can be bothered to sift through their YT then you can look up the old videos when she started as a summer intern.

Oh man. Why are tomboy's becoming FTM trans? If you like women just be a lesbian. For god sakes my mother was a tomboy. I feel like I wouldn't have a chance to be born if she grew up in today's world.

Nim

Augur
Yes. She went from being Ellen to Quentin. If you can be bothered to sift through their YT then you can look up the old videos when she started as a summer intern.

Oh man. Why are tomboy's becoming FTM trans? If you like women just be a lesbian. For god sakes my mother was a tomboy. I feel like I wouldn't have a chance to be born if she grew up in today's world.
Supposedly she had the hots for the producer who is a faggot so obvious solution was obvious.

Zurat-Yarkuch

Savant
Supposedly she had the hots for the producer who is a faggot so obvious solution was obvious.
My god, as if this couldn't get any more tragic. Unrequited love leading to a sex change.

I feel like you could make a Dungeons and Dragons quest out of this. A human mage being in love with someone from a fantasy species, but knowing it couldn't work out due to physical differences. So they try changing themselves through magic with dark results.

Reinhardt

Arcane
There is already questline about trannies - Harbinger of Madness. Including buying kids and turning them into abominations by body modification.
Continues in Fashion Madness where (((they))) replace elf girls in fashion show with taken, just like now attractive models are replaced with body positive trannies.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom