Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dungeons and Dragons Online - Fair Codexia Dead - DDO NEWs Thread!

Reinhardt

Arcane
Reincarnated as monk. No idea what i'm doing, just smacking everyone with my walking stick.

Reinhardt

Arcane
One thing i can be sure - i won't be running any reaper any time soon. Their potato servers x my current potato wartime internet is something else...

Zurat-Yarkuch

Savant
too many buttons in monkeh

I remember reading some where that the class has a ridiculous amount of active abilities. I prefer playing stupidly simple type characters which is why I am hesitant to try Monk in DDO.

A joke I often hear is that the developers hate monks. Apparently when they first came out they were op, but now they have been so nerfed that people say they aren't as good as other melee options.

Zurat-Yarkuch

Savant
So in our second life me and my friend decided to tackle the Harbinger of Madness quest chain at level. Out of all the quests we have done I honestly think these were the hardest ones. The plane of Xoriat is pretty much the plane of toughest enemies in the Eberron setting. Beholders are especially bad for spellcasters since they cast an antimagic cone that prevents spellcasting. Only defence against it seems to be spell absorbtion items. Mind flayers are especially deadly for my tank since their mind blasts can drain your charisma and once it reaches zero you are helpless. It pretty much bypasses traditional defences like PRR, MRR, and AC, so need a healer hireling removing stat drain effects.

We managed to do the first three quests on R1 together, but the final quest in the chain "In the Flesh" was just insane. The final fight involves continuously respawning mind flayers and beholders. And the boss mindflayer has an attack that can wipe the party if you don't prevent it in time later on. Even dropping the difficulty down to elite wasn't enough, since the things that make beholders and mind flayers frustrating isn't affected by increases and decreases in monster hp and damage.

So we will definitely only be able to do that one on Elite when we are overlevel. But I imagine when that pack came out it was the toughest content in the game. Heck it still is to be honest.

Codex Year of the Donut
So in our second life me and my friend decided to tackle the Harbinger of Madness quest chain at level. Out of all the quests we have done I honestly think these were the hardest ones. The plane of Xoriat is pretty much the plane of toughest enemies in the Eberron setting. Beholders are especially bad for spellcasters since they cast an antimagic cone that prevents spellcasting. Only defence against it seems to be spell absorbtion items. Mind flayers are especially deadly for my tank since their mind blasts can drain your charisma and once it reaches zero you are helpless. It pretty much bypasses traditional defences like PRR, MRR, and AC, so need a healer hireling removing stat drain effects.

We managed to do the first three quests on R1 together, but the final quest in the chain "In the Flesh" was just insane. The final fight involves continuously respawning mind flayers and beholders. And the boss mindflayer has an attack that can wipe the party if you don't prevent it in time later on. Even dropping the difficulty down to elite wasn't enough, since the things that make beholders and mind flayers frustrating isn't affected by increases and decreases in monster hp and damage.

So we will definitely only be able to do that one on Elite when we are overlevel. But I imagine when that pack came out it was the toughest content in the game. Heck it still is to be honest.
They're some of the most amusing quests in the game though so they're worth doing even if on an easy difficulty.
Quite a few of them have hidden bosses, btw.

There's a bunch of mindflayer only ones and beholder only ones and quests that have both. I don't really remember, but they all sorta felt like they fit together.

Zurat-Yarkuch

Savant
Their boss and Harry are my favorite villains in DDO.

The voice actor for Yaulthoon just nails it out of the park. I recognize his voice from Batman Arkham Asylum were he played the riddler. It was great how they gave a Mind Flayer such a twisted personality that fits in perfectly with the madness theme of xoriat.

I love the horror tones of the three quests in that chain, and then the final dark comedic tone in the final quest when you confront Yaulthoon.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron

beholders got weak fort saves, actually its usually casters taking care of them by spamming disintegration ray from distance(that spell casting range is greater than antimagic field zone). For rest you cast disco ball

xoriat were my fav quests, too bad that their rewards werent anything hot when they were released.

Codex Year of the Donut
just play warforged/bladeforged, they're immune to most beholder attacks

reaper kinda fucks them though because you typically rely on self-heals(repair) and reaper screws over any self-heal build

Zurat-Yarkuch

Savant
But fingering is more satisfying than disintegrating!

Yeah in that final battle for "In the Flesh" he was using finger of death on them and instant killing them. But it was just way too much with Yaulthoon teleporting around and all the other stuff happening. When Yaulthoon got done to lower health he did this big attack that just ended up killing us all at once.

Zurat-Yarkuch

Savant
Is there someone still playing this? i have just started and have no idea how to build my paladin. never played D&D 3.5 . also i wanna play in group, since i'm aiming to make a tank paladin

Yup I am still playing this game. If you want to play a paladin tank I have an idea on how to build that having played one in the past.

I'm assuming you are starting with a 28pt build. I also assume you are picking human aka the master race in 3rd edition. So the stats I would go with are
STR 15
DEX 8
CON 16
INT 8
WIS 12
CHA 14
Skills you will need are intimidate and heal. You will use intimidate as an active skill for getting aggro. For your starting feats go with Shield Mastery, Improved Shield Bash, and Follower of the Sovereign Host. You will mainly be using a Long Sword and Heavy Shield. You can also choose to use a Tower Shield but you will need to spend a feat to gain tower shield proficiency, which you can get at level 3.

For enhancements, start off in the Knight of the Chalice tree. Get Holy Combatant and then 2 points in Extra Smites. Once you get to Level 2 Grab Exalted Cleave and Adept Combatant. At Level 3 Grab the next Slayer of Evil core and then move on to Sacred Defender tree. Focus on that as you level up. I recommend grabbing these enhancements overall while leveling
6Syd38F.jpg
From the Sacred Defender Tree you will get Sacred Defence stance from the second core, make sure you turn it on so the effects will be active. For the Improved Sacred Defence enhancements take the upgrades to Physical and Magical Sheltering and Threat Generation. For the Greater Sacred Defence enhancements takes the bonuses to Constitution and bonus to hit points.

If you decide to group with others make sure you let them know it is your first life and you are a newbie. Most people are very friendly if they know you are new and will be happy to help.

With a cleric hireling you should be able to solo most quests on elite, no problem. Reaper will require a group so don't solo that. This video explains reaper difficulty.

The big issue for you as a new player will be traps. As a newbie you won't know where the traps are like veteran players and on elite they are designed to basically one shot someone without the evasion feat.

Personally, I recommend playing a rogue, particularly a staff rogue. As rogue, you are one of only two classes (other being artificer) that search, spot, and disable traps. You also get evasion, which means with traps and spells you can roll a reflex save and take no damage. In this video guide a youtuber gives the F2P version of staff rogue you can use

Zurat-Yarkuch

Savant
Is there someone still playing this? i have just started and have no idea how to build my paladin. never played D&D 3.5 . also i wanna play in group, since i'm aiming to make a tank paladin

Another option is this build https://forums.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/515625-First-Life-Human-Two-Handed-Fighting-Paladin-18-Rogue-2-for-Free-to-play-players. This build was made back in 2020 when DDO released their free coupon code for all non-expansion content and had all expansions available to everyone until Sept 2020. He has a lot of great advice and tips that are helpful to both new and veteran players.

I have no idea if DDO will release another free content coupon code anytime soon. They did another free content coupon code last year, so I don't know how long it is going to be before they do that again. You can dip your toes in with the free content available, and if you like what you see you can maybe by month or so of VIP to get access to all the adventure packs until their next big promotion.

They are having a lot more mega deals then they did in the past, so I would recommend waiting before purchasing any expansions or anything.

Zurat-Yarkuch

Savant
So, the newest producer Tolero sat down with DDOcast to talk about the upcoming Isle of Dread and other game stuff.
Some interesting highlights from the interview:
  • They have experimented with having all the adventure packs and non-expansion content be free with the free quest coupon codes they did in 2020 and 2021. If they go that route though it takes away most of the value from VIP. So they are trying to figure out what they can offer through VIP that will make up for that if they decide to make all adventure packs free.
  • Players seem to only care about quests and not wilderness areas. Even though wilderness areas take a ton of work and almost as many resources as the quests. Wondering if they should just skip wilderness areas? In my humble opinion they need to make it so you can select difficulty with Wilderness Areas so you can potentially earn Reaper XP and mysterious remnants. Would make them a million times more attractive to players.
  • Composer Bill Champagne is going with John Williams/Jurassic Park inspiration apparently with soundtrack. Mentioned movie soundtracks like Superman and Indian Jones too. Adventure theme.
  • Inspired by DND encounters, we are going to be getting Piranha Swarms in Isle of Dread. Tolero was really excited about it for some reason.
  • Slowly raising the Level cap to 40 over time. Up to Level 32 this update.
  • Why they did the Epic Destiny revamp. Old system was a nightmare behind the scenes when it came to adding or changing stuff. Why they rebuilt everything from the ground up. Also, designed to expand over time. Forth core for each destiny coming with Update 55, don't need expansion for it.
  • Reaper mode discussion. When they first introduced Reaper mode (in 2017 I think) developers did not think anyone would be able to get past Reaper 5. Were shocked at people pushing to R10 even when it was still relatively new. Now some individuals have so many Reaper Points they have filled all the Reaper trees and have excess reaper points that can't be spent on anything. Will do something to address that but not anytime soon.
  • Adding new guild amenities for a guild airpships takes a lot of work. Would require taking a dungeon maker off making a dungeon. New toys for high level guilds at cap in the future possibly. Not going to happen in this calendar year though.
  • Tabaxi first blinking race in DDO. Lots of work went into creating them.
  • Inventory revamp coming this year. With latest expansion upgrade tier, experimenting with NPC that has all your cosmetics. So won't have to worry about storing or losing them just go to NPC when you want your Expansion cosmetics. Cheaper than coming up with a whole new inventory system with wardrobes. I personally don't use cosmetics so don't care.
  • Also, Keyring for Teleport Items from each expansion higher tiers.

infidel

StarInfidel
Developer
Strap Yourselves In
Players seem to only care about quests and not wilderness areas. Even though wilderness areas take a ton of work and almost as many resources as the quests. Wondering if they should just skip wilderness areas? In my humble opinion they need to make it so you can select difficulty with Wilderness Areas so you can potentially earn Reaper XP and mysterious remnants. Would make them a million times more attractive to players.
:rpgcodex:
It would be a shame to lose wilderness areas since that gives you some feeling that you're in a world and not a set of "levels". Lack of other difficulties is a problem, for sure. Perhaps they need to experiment with setting quests in wilderness areas? So far the main problem is that they lack variety - on entering a new area, you know that you can a) hunt for rares b) hunt for explorer objectives and if you have a slayer pot up, c) grind mindlessly. In case of Ravenloft, they have these insignias or w/e they're called but hunting for them is a PITA and you usually look at the map. Once you've done a single wilderness area, there's no point to doing the others, unless its the Borderlands for the horse or something like that.

Zurat-Yarkuch

Savant
It would be a shame to lose wilderness areas since that gives you some feeling that you're in a world and not a set of "levels". Lack of other difficulties is a problem, for sure. Perhaps they need to experiment with setting quests in wilderness areas? So far the main problem is that they lack variety - on entering a new area, you know that you can a) hunt for rares b) hunt for explorer objectives and if you have a slayer pot up, c) grind mindlessly. In case of Ravenloft, they have these insignias or w/e they're called but hunting for them is a PITA and you usually look at the map. Once you've done a single wilderness area, there's no point to doing the others, unless its the Borderlands for the horse or something like that.

I agree that losing Wilderness Areas would be a bad idea. It really helps with immersion and gives the feeling that you are in an actual world instead of a modular set of levels. Though I could see the problem with implementing higher difficulties in Wilderness areas. Reaper mode especially on higher skulls would probably lead to an insane number of reapers spawning. Maybe they could have the difficulty without the reapers to avoid massive spawning of them?
But they do need to come up with something to encourage players to go through them.

infidel

StarInfidel
Developer
Strap Yourselves In
I agree that losing Wilderness Areas would be a bad idea. It really helps with immersion and gives the feeling that you are in an actual world instead of a modular set of levels. Though I could see the problem with implementing higher difficulties in Wilderness areas. Reaper mode especially on higher skulls would probably lead to an insane number of reapers spawning. Maybe they could have the difficulty without the reapers to avoid massive spawning of them?
But they do need to come up with something to encourage players to go through them.

They could sure tweak the spawning algorithm but idk, running around reapering still doesn't sound that much different overall or exciting. Then again, I'm not into it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom