Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dungeons of Dredmor: Realm of the Diggle Gods

• Thread starter Multi-headed Cow
  • Start date
Repressed Homosexual
I'd rather have a roguelike with characters so small that you can't see anything instead of ugly art like this. Maybe I'll play it if all the annoying jokes are removed in a future update.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Art is fine as are the jokes. But hey, bad taste is not a crime.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO METRO THANK YOU FOR THE TIPS I AM IN NO HURRY TO PLAY THIS

Multi-headed Cow

Oh shit. Seems like there have been a fair number of nice little tweaks to smooth the gameplay a bit. For instance you automatically pick up all gold adjacent to your character, so it's a bit easier to vacuum up all the zorkmids in a room. And WASD works a bit more like how you'd think it should, bashing barrels. Haven't checked to see if the WASD attack not working properly in doorways bug is still around or not.

Just the patch by itself is pretty :thumbsup: so far. Although I kinda miss Dredmor's weird wand system. Going over to straight charges makes things clearer I guess, but wand entropy was kinda cool.

Multi-headed Cow

GOOD GOD, promising wizard killed by a thaumite trap. BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!

Edit: By the way, they've supposedly hotfixed 1.0.8 issues. Never ran into them myself, so I dunno how true it is or not.

Multi-headed Cow

http://store.steampowered.com/app/98820/
Expansion's out for $3! I think I may wait just for the hell of it. Going to be gone most of this weekend for a Christmas get together, and from what I've heard the Steam Christmas sale is this Monday, so I'll wait and see if I can get it for $1.50 just because I won't be able to Dredmor all weekend anyway.

Stabwound

Arcane
Expansion is now 74 cents today for Steam winter sale.

Nice big "fuck you" to the people that bought it when it was released barely a week ago. Well, if you can call $2.25 a "big" fuck you.

I didn't even really like the game but I guess I'll buy the expansion for .75 cents

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Stabwound said:
OH MY FUCKING GOD! I AM SO FUCKING BUTTHURT OVER ONE DOLLAR AND FIFTY ONE CENTS!! YES, ONE DOLLAR AND FIFTY ONE CENTS!! THIS IS AN OUTRAGE! FFS! LDJSHDKSDBNSIDJUSNID

Retards goona retard I guess..

Mozgoëbstvo

Learned
Ahem, hello. Retard question incoming.
I'm having problems with another roguelike, Dungeon crawl stone soup. I just leveled up and no prompt appears over anything when I hover the mouse over stuff.

Ehm... how do I level up and go on?

Stabwound

Arcane
Jaesun said:
Stabwound said:
OH MY FUCKING GOD! I AM SO FUCKING BUTTHURT OVER ONE DOLLAR AND FIFTY ONE CENTS!! YES, ONE DOLLAR AND FIFTY ONE CENTS!! THIS IS AN OUTRAGE! FFS! LDJSHDKSDBNSIDJUSNID

Retards goona retard I guess..
Overreaction of the year award?

Mozgoëbstvo said:
Ahem, hello. Retard question incoming.
I'm having problems with another roguelike, Dungeon crawl stone soup. I just leveled up and no prompt appears over anything when I hover the mouse over stuff.

Ehm... how do I level up and go on?

You only gain a manual stat increase on certain level ops. On others, the game automatically places a point in a stat.

Mozgoëbstvo

Learned
Thanks, stab. Though I went through before your response, with the use of empyrical testing - that is, pressing every key until the "level up" unfroze. :lol:

Now I know. Spacebar. It's SPACEBAAAR

20 Eyes

Liturgist
Metro said:
Art is fine as are the jokes. But hey, bad taste is not a crime.

I've heard a lot of complaints about the humor here and on other gaming sites. I just tried the game for the first time yesterday (thanks, Gabe!), and I don't get the complaints at all.

The skill descriptions didn't make my sides split open from uproarious laughter, but they're amusing and funny enough. I think some people are taking themselves a bit too seriously and would probably shit all over any game that tried to be funny. You'd think the skill descriptions were written by the Full House writing staff from the way some people describe it.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I can see why people might be a bit irked about the sale but... seriously... most should know better than to buy something a week before one of Steam's biggest sales of the year. By the way, do NOT take any mysterious portals. I was chugging along on level two with a nice Werediggle build, took a portal... and it put me on floor ten or so where I promptly got raped.

Multi-headed Cow

Yeah, I've found that out too. The added monsters and room layouts of the DLC are kinda nice but the portals seem baaaaaaaaaaaaad.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I can't get too far in the game simply because it is so slow and cumbersome. The interface and the controls are my biggest gripe with this one.

tindrli

Arcane
I can't get too far in the game simply because it is so slow and cumbersome. The interface and the controls are my biggest gripe with this one.

well since last post so like 4:30 mins i manage to get to 4 level but still cleaning the third one..

i wonder which skills you use most of the time bros?.. till now i was always doing random so today its a first time:

- Sword play
- Dual wielding
- Master of Arms
- Necro
- Blood
- Smithing
- Yarr,.. ye knew it had to be

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor

WASD movement, mouse based inventory, and hot bar? What's wrong with the interface and controls. Only thing that is a bit awkward is crafting and that's because they forgot to put in mouse scrolling when they changed the menu.

Tigranes

Arcane
After about two dozen characters I managed to kill myself through carelessness 3 times on Level 9, even though my characters were powerful enough to clean out monster zoos with little problem. (i.e. walking around on double speed unaware of some random poison, getting stuck in a corner surrounded by monsters). Since then I've shelved the game, but may come back to it and finally beat it later.

The magic combo I eventually boiled down to was:
-Sword
-Dual
-Thievery
-Archaeology or whatever the Indiana Jones one is
-Pyromaniac
-Smithing
-Psionics

Thievery = always lockpicks, sometimes you steal something great from shops, and teleport provides the ultimate safety button to increase survivability.
Archaeology = converting artefacts provides nice XP bonus (I was close to learning every skill/perk by Level 9 of dungeon), and later on the item property transmutation is the best way to get better gear.
Psionics = the push ability lets you get those weapons on islands (to convert to XP) and the healing spell = you never need food.

I tried most other skills, but not all are good/fun. Golemancy is cool but relying on summons makes it really boring as their animations make battles 2x/3x longer, and I don't see the point in some skills like Master of Arms. Bows are terrible because you never have enough arrows, even with tinkering (although I like to carry around a crossbow with every character, in case I find/steal bolts of mass destruction or squid bolts).

A pure mage with blood magic to refill mana is cool, though.

Renegen

Arcane
I've reached the (-)7th floor and am currently grinding my way through another monster zoo. Kinda bored of the game now tbh, but then I'm not really a fan of roguelikes in general. It's a fun little diversion when you've nothing else to do.
I saw your score in the Steam leaderboards with 450,000 pts. Anyone who's a friend or part of the Codex Diversity Squad (don't know) shows up in the leaderboard. It's pretty cool, I recommend everyone here on the Codex who has the game to display their scores on the board, we could have a lot of fun (Rogue permadeath anyone?).

I'm playing with random skill builds because I want the achievement, but so far I'm also on level 7, my best, with this build:
Swords - swords are nice, nothing to say really
Berserk - adds some damage and buffs
Blood Magic - useless because I literally use 0 mana, but that's random for you
Archaeology - some trap detection and it's basically free given how much XP bonus you get from converting artifacts.
Smithing - really great, as I craft the best swords and armors. its critical to have high damage as you venture lower
Werediggle - kind of useful, you lose all passive abilities when in diggle form so that sucks
Demonology - some buffs and a great spell when standing still in 1 square

I found the key to getting deeper is to have the best items and to worry about damage reduction above all. Each floor has like a theme. Enemies in floor 4 have a lot of resistances it seems so unless you have a high end, single damage weapon, you won't make it. level 5 has a lot of toxic damage, so I brought toxic gear. Level 6 has ice and fire damage, so I carried crappier items with resistances and it made all the difference.

Yes, I have the DLC. At $3, you're really supporting the developers of this wonderful game. Hell, for everyone else, at $7.50 for the whole package, it's a fantastic offer given how addictive, long-lasting and fun it is, it took me away from other games. Thanks again Angelo :love:

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
WASD movement, mouse based inventory, and hot bar? What's wrong with the interface and controls. Only thing that is a bit awkward is crafting and that's because they forgot to put in mouse scrolling when they changed the menu.

Everything is a bit too slow compared to normal roguelike. Can't breeze past first levels. Moving around is slow, fighting is slow, starting a new game is slow. Maybe if there is an option for speeding the animations up, then the game would feel more responsive.

Xi

Arcane
Expansion is now 74 cents today for Steam winter sale.

Nice big "fuck you" to the people that bought it when it was released barely a week ago. Well, if you can call $2.25 a "big" fuck you.

I didn't even really like the game but I guess I'll buy the expansion for .75 cents

I spent 7.25 a week ago for the whole thing and I simply don't give a fuck about saving a couple bucks if I'm giving money to a good dev. Honestly, it's no big deal. That's an hours worth of work if you are on minimum wage.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom