Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dungeons of Dredmor: Realm of the Diggle Gods

• Thread starter Multi-headed Cow
  • Start date

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Caster builds are a lot easier than melee builds in this game by a crazy margin. Pyromancer (or w/e the skill is) combined with Fleshsmithing and throw in the mana regen talents and you can derp your way through. Fireballs, corpse explosion, gas clouds kill everything.

desocupado

Magister
WASD movement, mouse based inventory, and hot bar? What's wrong with the interface and controls. Only thing that is a bit awkward is crafting and that's because they forgot to put in mouse scrolling when they changed the menu.

Everything is a bit too slow compared to normal roguelike. Can't breeze past first levels. Moving around is slow, fighting is slow, starting a new game is slow. Maybe if there is an option for speeding the animations up, then the game would feel more responsive.

There IS an option for speeding up animations, you press "+" NOT on the numerical keyboard, and it speeds shit up.

Game is unbearably slow on default speed.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Caster builds are a lot easier than melee builds in this game by a crazy margin. Pyromancer (or w/e the skill is) combined with Fleshsmithing and throw in the mana regen talents and you can derp your way through. Fireballs, corpse explosion, gas clouds kill everything.
Still, the early game is way easier with melee. I know you have to play for the long haul with roguelikes, but you can really get screwed early on by going all-caster if a room full of enemies takes you by surprise. And there is something to be said for not getting killed by random traps or enemies that come out of nowhere to smack you upside the head.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Should be able to manage the first floor without trouble and there are no monster zoos on it -- at least I've never seen one. Skill up to that summonable dragon and you're good to go. It can pretty much solo everything up to the third floor. There's also no cooldown on casting it, monsters target it with priority even if they're standing next to you, so it's extremely useful as a diversion/damage shield, too.

DakaSha

Arcane
for some reason i dont know shit about this. does it have permadeath?
nvm i guess it does.. gonna buy it cause its so cheap. hope its a decent RL

DakaSha

Arcane
how does picking harder game options (apparently) not give higher points. terrible

Renegen

Arcane
It probably does give more points since monsters are higher level, try to test it.

DakaSha

Arcane
It probably does give more points since monsters are higher level, try to test it.
When I said that I was also referring to the smaller dungeon option.. It says: "Smaller dungeon, Same experience"

You have to admit thats a a terrible way of phrasing it in an RPG ;)

Anyway's I'm still extremely unsure of this one. I just cant tell if i like it lol. I REALLY wish there was a paper doll thing because i hate playing a viking, necro, pirate or whatever and haave to look at this huge eyebrow faggot.

Also the music.. omg the music... may be the worst yet in a video game. Freaking midi leisure suit larry lounge elevator music playing at random

Great0ldOne

Educated
Freaking midi leisure suit larry lounge elevator music playing at random

There is nothing wrong with the music in any* Leisure Suit Larry game, faggot.

*except maybe the latest abomination, Box Office Bust, which I haven't played. But I doubt that's the one the dumbfuck meant.

DakaSha

Arcane
Freaking midi leisure suit larry lounge elevator music playing at random

There is nothing wrong with the music in any* Leisure Suit Larry game, faggot.

*except maybe the latest abomination, Box Office Bust, which I haven't played. But I doubt that's the one the dumbfuck meant.

Hey bro. Calling me a faggot aint earning you shit here. Everybody already knows. Just keep it in mind.
And although there is nothing wrong with leisure suit larry music per se there is something wrong with a modern game that sounds like one from the mid 80's to early 90's. especially if the game in question is a DUNGEON CRAWL with LOUNGE MUSIC. way to miss a point

Faggot.

DakaSha

Arcane
Also i'd hate to listen to anybody who claims to love this musics real life music choices :smug:
Not that it isn't a purely subjective thing in the first place

edit: gonna try the small dungeons version now to see if that ups the pace a bit

Heresiarch

Prophet
Tried this a bit but the stupid "funny" item and skill descriptions and the crazy music and the art design like character with massive eyebrows and WTF VENDING MACHINE IN A DUNGEON turn me off off off.

DakaSha

Arcane
that all gets to me as well but i can overlook it mostly. at least it has diggles with monocles

This is a simplistic graphical roguelike that:
* Looks like shit
* Sounds like shit
* Is unplayable on standard speed due to slow animations
* Gets old very quickly
* Is lowest common denominator stuff when it comes to RLs
* Tries to parody fantasy dungeon crawling on a medium where not taking the setting too seriously is more or less the norm and still fails (NetHack sillyness is funny, this is just forced and stupid)
* Feels like a highly substandard example of the RL genre in just about any way
* Fucking costs money (coupled with above statement)

Feels like I wasted money.

DakaSha

Arcane
is there any way to actually have a proper description of items rather then these fucking wannabe funny sometimes-descriptive-sometimes-not shitstains?

Why does some shit say exactly what the thing does and other shit not even tell you whether its good or bad? it's bad enough i have to memorize what everything does but could it at least be consistent?

Am I missing something? I haven't read a manual or anything (if one exists)

also is it to much to ask that my minions avoid traps... and why do i need to walk past them using the keyboard.. sigh

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Try it, experiment, and make notes. That's what I've been doing with all roguelikes, and this one doesn't change the identity of items between playthroughs, so that's even easier. Else if you want all info from the start and dislike experimenting in roguelikes, try the wiki.

DakaSha

Arcane
What. The vast majority of roguelikes tell you what an item does when it has been identified. If it doesn't offer an actual description it's usually very obvious (a potion of confusion confuses, a potion of poison poisons etc)

this just feels like the designer was so bent on being funny that that he didnt even think about what an item description actually is.

edit: my main issue here really is the consistency though. I dont understand how any game designer would make the decision of having some descriptions being descriptive and others a (usually lame) joke

Akasen

Augur
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I can't tell you how many times I have used Aqua Regia thinking it would heal me and instead find myself dead from acid. Ah well, at least my characters are always named Todd Howard in Roguelike games. That way when my character dies, I at least get some satisfaction in the thought of "Todd Howard has failed".

DakaSha

Arcane
I can't tell you how many times I have used Aqua Regia thinking it would heal me and instead find myself dead from acid. Ah well, at least my characters are always named Todd Howard in Roguelike games. That way when my character dies, I at least get some satisfaction in the thought of "Todd Howard has failed".

:incline:

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
As I thought, you only want to complain about DoD just for the sake of complaining. Using an item will pretty much give you an idea about what it does if that isn't clear enough, which is usually the same that happens in other roguelikes where identification may play a much bigger role. Again, if you do not like to experiment, roguelikes aren't for you or you should just read spoilers on the net.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I bought this but I'm not warming up to it. I got it because the skill system seemed fun- and it is. But... there's a lot of "I wish it had X" things in this one.

I wish it had a dedicated magic system rather than just skills.
I wish gaining a level gave me more choice.
I wish there was an ASCII mode, preferably as pretty as ADOM or as easy to understand as Crawl.
I wish, frankly, the dungeon features and dungeon itself were more intriguing.

It's not terrible by any stretch, but there's better, won't you agree? And they're all free- I'd rather fire up another ADOM character, get back into Nethack or play around with the latest Crawl version. (I haven't beaten any of these games, so they are always fun to me.)

(Unfortunately I am having the same experience with Stalker: Call of Pripyat. I just don't know what that game expects from me. It's like I am 11 years again and playing some old DOS game with no manual and figuring out everything by myself... which is sort of nice, but it's also something I am having trouble adjusting to, with my addled, calcified brain.)

DakaSha

Arcane
As I thought, you only want to complain about DoD just for the sake of complaining. Using an item will pretty much give you an idea about what it does if that isn't clear enough, which is usually the same that happens in other roguelikes where identification may play a much bigger role. Again, if you do not like to experiment, roguelikes aren't for you or you should just read spoilers on the net.

As I thought. A stupid fanboy who is going to defend stupid shit regardless.
I've spent more hours on roguelikes then I have on any other genre(edit: maybe its a tie with TBS). This game has shit descriptions and no amount of fanboyism is going to change the fact. I didn't spend money to come to complain on the codex for no reason. Sorry i dont like your game fanboy (as much as you do anyways)

edit: and actually i agree with above. It isnt terrible. in fact i play it a bit off and on. But i dont see how it is better then free ones out there except if you think the lutefisk shit is actually funny enough to warrant it

PorkaMorka

Arcane
This game is the biggest waste of $3.50 since that time I bought a tub of cottage cheese and it had mold on it.

Wait, cottage cheese is only like $2.50.

This game is the biggest waste of $3.50 ever.

Oh well, at least I know for sure that commercial roguelikes are dramatically inferior to free roguelikes.

Off to play another 30 hours of TOME4.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom