Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dungeons of the Amber Griffin is a dungeon crawler about Ancient Pomeranians

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Tags: Dungeons of the Amber Griffin; Frozengem Studio

A bunch of weirdo Potatoes from Frozengem Studio have just announced their oldskool dungeon crawler Dungeons of the Amber Griffin. It looks like a gripping Grimrock lookalike about Kashubians*, developed "In cooperation with the Museum of Kashubian and Pomeranian Literature and Music in Wejherowo" (lol).

I hope you are ready to master arcane Kashubian magic and defeat the demons:

Play as a group of daredevils who explore the world of dark fantasy in search of fame, amber and gold. Experience the classic mechanics of the iconic ‘90s Dungeon Crawlers with a new twist. Solve the mystery of the ghost that haunted the ruins and discover a bestiary based on Kashubian beliefs.

Get ready for an exciting journey through the world of the Mystical Kashubia. Learn the beliefs of ancient Pomeranians and deal with the monsters that have begun to roam the area. While defeating the monsters, gather information for a bestiary, based on Kashubian stories.

Create a team of four daredevils with various skills useful in combat. Choose character classes such as, e.g. WÒJÔRZ (Warrior), DULAS (Rogue), ŻÉRCA (Priest), KÙTIN (Mage) and decide on their development.

The main plot of the game is related to the figure of a griffin who, according to one of Kashubian legends, hid a huge lump of amber in an unknown place in Kashubia.
Even at the beginning of the 20th century, in Kashubia, there were cases where the corpses of the deceased were dug up and their heads cut off with a special peat shovel. People believed that these were the so-called wieszczi or òpi, who – after death – rose from the grave to kill members of their family.​

ETA: Sometime 2023.

* Kashubians are a people living in northern Poland who speak funny. They are the descendants of Silesians who missed their ship to America.

V_K

Arcane
Ancient Pomeranians

d385a6998ca7b5e1d806c754034a5de2.jpg

Humanophage

Arcane
Fake identity, Kashubija je Great Baltia from the Prussians and Yotvingians ("northern Poland" occupied by Slavs and Germanics) to East Galindians ("Moscow", occupied by Slavs, Central Asians, and Caucasus peoples).

275px-Baltic_cultures_600-200_BC_SVG.svg.png

86db32f56a9f0646669c4a1e5244e643.jpg

Last edited:

Sin2x

Scholar
Basing it on some real world crap is always cringe but gameplay looks semi-decent.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Man, this is the best RPG news for me this year so far, hands down. I really hope they won't screw it up because this ticks the right boxes for me on all levels:

- Old-school dungeon crawler — my favourite genre, there's just not enough high-quality EoB/DM/Grimrock clones out there
- Interesting and unique setting — we need to see more national folklore stuff adapted to games
- Good quality high-res graphics — no kiddie and/or rainbow-puke aesthetics, and no amateurish crap
- The UI is very nice — it's not the consolised crap that resembles Windows 10
- Music is very decent so far — epic but still has some ethnic feel to it

Along with Colony Ship and Monomyth, this is now the 3rd most anticipated game for me.

Hoping there will be a full old-school mode (meaning no automap whatsoever).

Zariusz

Arbiter
The trailer started with a guy wearing 2 swords on his back, you know, the witcher stuff and then it transformed into a blobber. What a twist!
Looks pretty Grimorcky, but no better than Grimoire.
Is this turn based or real time? Is this a dream or reality?

0:57 i see cooldowns on skill icons so probably real time

Art style is generic as fuck, they should go with more historical look for designs since it would fit more with local legends and other regional stuff. This style really reminds me browser games from late 2000s for whatever reasons.
Maybe i will check this in future, even if im bored to sleep with just a quick look at gameplay of most blobbers.

Unwanted

Don Salieri

Unwanted
Zionist Agent
This looks like another dogshit Grimrock clone with the most generic fucking art direction. Slavs have notoriously low standards but will they really get excited over the warrior class being misspelled as WORJOR and priest as SUKA? It's bad when the uninspired and hastily thrown together Might & Magic X looks like it belongs at the Louvre in comparison. If it looks worse than the cardboard meals served by Ubishit in the promo material the game itself is going to be even worse on release when you actually play lit. Sometimes you see a game and you just know it will be completely forgotten in a month after release if not earlier, this is one of those games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom