Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dwarf Fortress becomes pretty

Nedrah

Erudite
Tags: Dwarf Fortress

Our very own Codexer <b>Mayday</b> released a graphics update for <A HREF="http://bay12games.com/">Bay12Games</a> Dwarf Fortress today.
<br>
<blockquote>Since many people are complaining about the DF display being "messy" and "clunky" (no shit, huh?), I have compiled a version which gathers a lot of different images from the community (most notably object graphics by DR and Tocky, with a lot of editing and tidying up by me) to make as much use of the system as possible.
<br>
<br>
<br>
NOTES:
<br>
-this is the 33d version (33e has serious bugs)
<br>
-the military dwarves retain their old, DR-like look to allow for placing weapons in the icon
<br>
-a few wild creatures don't have graphics yet.
<br>
-the capital O looks really weird in the text. But believe me, it's better this way. There may also be a few weird signs in Dwarf names from time to time- but that should be rare.
<br>
-I'm using a "blend patch" by a community member, that allows the use of PNGs for the main tileset. Because of it, the graphics have to be twice as large as stated in the graphics_example.txt. Keep that in mind if you want to edit them.
<br>
-I will be updating this, so keep an eye on <A HREF="http://rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=21883">this post</A> if you're interested.</blockquote>
<br>
Yeah, as great as the game may be, it can definitely use some graphics to get some order into the chaos, especially for the ASCII-impaired among us.

Hory

Erudite
bay12banner.png

Oarfish

Prophet
It's released. Current DF is 3D ASCII. With windmills and pretty convincing fluid dynamics..

And that really is a great tileset mayday, first I have used for any length of time over the raw ASCII.

Nedrah

Erudite
Oh, 3d as in added z-axis.

Yeah.

Also, I hope you all are ok with a newspost about a graphics-update to an indie like that.
I just felt it was more newsworthy than a lot of other stuff.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Nedrah, stop with that whiny "I hope you're ok with my newsposts" crap. Grow some balls dude.
You're so typicly german, a real posterchild for the pussification of western european men...

Let me guess, if some Turkish thugs start mugging your girlfriend, instead of beating the crap out of them you decide not to "lower yourself to their level". Am I right´?

cardtrick

Arbiter
(I do think it was a good newspost, though, if you do need the validation. It's a game that's widely played here and has been covered in the past, with work done by one of our posters.)

Hory

Erudite
TalesfromtheCrypt said:
Nedrah, stop with that whiny "I hope you're ok with my newsposts" crap. Grow some balls dude.
You're so typicly german, a real posterchild for the pussification of western european men...
I like how whether a German is a "skinhead" or a "pussy", he's still considered a typical German.

Nedrah

Erudite
TalesfromtheCrypt said:
Am I right´?

No, you are not right. You're just an asshole with no idea whatsoever of public and/or editorial work. Really, I am so fucking sorry about asking the community what they think about news like this instead of "real" game news. Also, if you were to rape my girlfriend, I'd totally let you do it, because I would not want to lower myself to your level. I'd probably masturbate, too.

Feel better now?

Nedrah said:
TalesfromtheCrypt said:
Am I right´?

No, you are not right. You're just an asshole with no idea whatsoever of public and/or editorial work. Really, I am so fucking sorry about asking the community what they think about news like this instead of "real" game news.
Booo-fucking-hooo. Shut the fuck up idiot, since when has the Codex been exclusivly about "real game news?" Hell, shortly before his death, Proverbius posted news about almost nothing else than "[insert obscure indy game here] updated from version X.XXX1 to X.XXX2"
Dwarf Fortress is not obscure here, neither is this news insignificant news since the ASCII shit is holding back many people who would otherwise love to play the game. In short, are you really that stupid ?
Asking once or twice is ok, you though started a whole drama thread to discuss this matter not to long ago.
You're just playing the whiny insecure faggot to get the anticipated reaction (i.e. confirmation of your actions), like a fucking baby who asks his parents if they don't love him/her, just to hear "oh sweetie, you're the best we love you so much". Ohhh, sweet. Faggot.

Also, if you were to rape my girlfriend, I'd totally let you do it, because I would not want to lower myself to your level. I'd probably masturbate, too.
Heh, I knew I was right. Thanks for confirming my supsicions, though.
Feel better now?
Yeah, thanks.

Nedrah

Erudite
[words]...[...]Yeah, thanks.

You're welcome.

Edit: Faggot? NO U! Doing anything but bitch around? Well, no, not you.

Also:

Dwarf Fortress is not obscure here, neither is this news insignificant news since the ASCII shit is holding back many people who would otherwise love to play the game. In short, are you really that stupid ?

Yes, clearly I never realized that, which is why I posted news about it.

Idiot.

Nedrah said:

Yes, clearly I never realized that, which is why I posted news about it.

Idiot.

Wow, that's a really asinine statement, even for your standarts. We're discussing your stupid habit of asking for confirmation every fucking time you post a news item, although it must have been absolutly clear for you that a great number of people here would be interested in this kind of news.

Nedrah

Erudite
Let's just stop this before it becomes any more pathetic. Still good fun, right?

Selenti

Liturgist
Are we still dumbfucking people? Looks like we have a good candidate right here.

Not that, of course, I'm suggesting anything.

Au naturel

Scholar
Comeon, enough of the schoolground bullshit.

I actually don't mind the ASCII in DF, its the control scheme that pisses me off. But thanks to Mayday for going to the trouble of making the first installment of a decent sprite pack.

Rhett Butler

Scholar
I assumed Nedrah was hesitant about posting DF news because DF is not an RPG but a dwarf simulator. Not that I disapprove of the post, it was relevant to me.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Selenti said:
Are we still dumbfucking people? Looks like we have a good candidate right here.
I was about to say something but I thought about it a bit more and then realised that I didn't know which one you were talking about dumbfucking.

I say plane tickets are definitely required in this situation though.

dagorkan

Arbiter
Or train tickets, they're both European after all.

I wouldn't have attacked Nedrah like that but he does need to wake up, and I see what Tales is doing is necessary. Man up Nedrah, grow some balls, start believing in yourself and put that dumb Polack back in his rightful place (ie, respectful subordination to their Nordic masters).

And you should never ask our opinion. If we think you're doing something wrong you can be sure we'll let you know, if you don't get complaints it means you're doing fine.

Nedrah

Erudite
Rhett Butler said:
I assumed Nedrah was hesitant about posting DF news because DF is not an RPG but a dwarf simulator. Not that I disapprove of the post, it was relevant to me.
Pretty much, as you may have noticed I did not ask for approval on various other items. I had actually assumed people would be happy to have a say in what gets to be news, but I won't ask in the future.

Dmitron

Arbiter
The connection between Turkish muggers and Dwarf Fortress tile sets is fucking ridiculous.

Redeye

Arcane
Dmitron said:
The connection between Turkish muggers and Dwarf Fortress tile sets is fucking ridiculous.

Let's continue the drift, and extend it.

Remember Alien vs. Predator? ("AVP")

How about Aliens vs. Dwarves?

A fully secured, deviously designed Dwarf Fortress that is made as a fortress within a fortress, endlessly redirecting the xenomorphs through mazes of deathtraps, murder holes, crossbow loops, etc.

A midieval version of Cube.

Imagine the movie trailer!

A sensationalized uber-retro sci-fi (this would barely qualify as SF) action/drama.

I want to see it.

Instead of calling it "AVD", the film could just be called "Dwarf Fortress".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom