Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Dwarf Fortress coming to Steam with a graphical overhaul

Discussion in 'Strategy and Simulation' started by LESS T_T, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Space Satan Arcane

Space Satan
    A year and some of developement for a new designation and a slower filling aquafier and a ton of fingernail simulation. That's the very very very typical developement process for toady.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. RoBoBOBR Cipher Patron

RoBoBOBR
    What are you talking about? You can now pet animals! PET ANIMALS!!

Jokes aside adventure mode got a lot of new shit, but even if you only care about fort mode:
    • Traitor dwarves, artifact heists, interrogation for crime from the justice screen, counterintelligence readout with organization charts
    • Members of organized religions can petition for temples and priesthood recognition, priests give sermons and comfort stressed dwarves
    • Alliances against world-ending threats in world generation
    • Various villainous activity in world generation, in play off-site, and (more limited) in fort mode, world generation surveillance, interrogation and punishment. Historical plots include theft, sabotage, abduction, assassination, coups, corrupt advancement promises, embezzlement, starting wars, and framing enemies.
    • Merchant companies, military orders and mercenary companies, craft guilds in world generation
    • Various horrifying new necromancer/mummy/demon/vampire etc. matter - snow-balling zombie invasions, multiple experiment types, intelligent undead lieutenants with new powers, nightmarish summons, spreading evil zones, promises of immortality in villainous plots
    • Dwarves can trigger dig-deep disasters in world generation, with repercussions coming to other sites, including fort mode

those will either enrich the world's lore and uniqueness or directly affect fort gameplay.

• incline incline x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Valky Arcane Manlet

Valky
    Since there are tranny and homo dwarves has toady added in the ability for your dwarves to impeach the expedition leader?

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Disgusting! Disgusting! x 2
    • Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Mayday Augur

Mayday
    Ok, I guess "Hey, I'm making the graphics for this, but apparently you already know" is as good as I'm going to get.
    Happy 1000th post, me! Wow, that last one was... 8 years ago?

Mayday rolled 6-sided di(c)e: 3 Total: 6
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    • Salute x 5
    • Participation Award x 3
    • Brofist x 2
    • Cheers!! x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. you know what time it is Arcane

you know what time it is

:love:

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Gobblecock Arcane Zionist Agent

Gobblecock
    Multi-threaded yet?

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 3
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Deadman Arcane Patron

Deadman
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Graphical overhaul? More like ideological overhaul, am I rite guys?

• Funny x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Edgy x 1
    • Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. PorkyThePaladin Arcane

PorkyThePaladin
    Cool video. The emergent gameplay is fascinating as always.

Never confuse the art and the artist. This is actually what the SJWs do now, trying to cancel all the great historical writers or whatever, because they were racist by modern standards, but it's obviously stupid, and so would be not liking/supporting Dwarf Fortress because he went retardo on the whole police defunding thing. At the end of the day, Dwarf Fortress is true video game art, and if it ever gets finished, THE game of all games (partially because every other game will probably procedurally emerge in it at some point :) ).

• Agree Agree x 5
    • cool story bro cool story bro x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • Artistic Artistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Gobblecock Arcane Zionist Agent

Gobblecock
    That would bring on the Gaypocalypse due to a resonance cascade of homosexuality.

Everyone in DF is 10 times gayer than real life, so all the games that procedurally emerge in DF would be 10 times gayer than real games. Eventually even DF would procedurally emerge in the world created by DF, only 10 times gayer than DF, thus 100 times gayer than real life. And that really gay DF would eventually create... and on and on till the multiverse is prolapsed like a rainbow-colored anus.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. PorkyThePaladin Arcane

PorkyThePaladin
    You do realize DF comes with XML config files where you can customize pretty much any aspect of it? Set your gay rate to 0, and build fortresses in a world without any art. I mean also, we are all sitting here on computers, which were sort of invented by a gay man.

• Agree x 2
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • cool story bro x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    • Heresy x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. dehimos Augur

dehimos
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Johannes Arcane

Johannes
    What's the faggotry in DF? Just the existence of gay dwarves (and hydras or whatever)?

• decline decline x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. dehimos Augur

dehimos
    All: https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Marriage

But they want to expand the system to transgender:

• hopw roewur ne x 2
    • Friendly x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    • Nuke it from orbit x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. anvi Cipher Village Idiot

anvi
    I hate young people.

• Agree x 3
    • Friendly x 2
    • Old x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Edgy x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Juan_Carlo Arcane

Juan_Carlo
    I've never seen an interview with him before. He's much less autistic than I thought he'd be.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. PorkyThePaladin Arcane

PorkyThePaladin
    He is not really autistic, people think he is being autistic with DF design (by implementing a shitload of seemingly unrelated features) but only because they do not understand what he and his brother are trying to do with DF. They think of it as some sort of strategy game, or fortress game, or adventure game.

DF is none of those things. It is a fantasy world simulator. As in, it is an engine to generate and support gameplay in unique procedural fantasy worlds. One world might randomly turn out to be Middle Earth (or something similar), another Westeros, another the world of European folklore, and so on.

So what he and his brother did, before starting developing DF, is they sat down and created various fantasy stories to try to determine what kind of features their game would need to procedurally create those stories during gameplay. That's where the insane 30 year long feature list comes from. It is perfectly logical, and the correct way, if anything, to address procedural games.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • decline decline x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Defund the captain of the guard!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. Humanophage Arcane

Humanophage
    There is a difference between demanding that something is cancelled and being too disgusted to enjoy the thing. What can be more cuckish than this? It's yucky, like someone smeared it with a smidgen of faeces and it will take a while before you can use it again, even though technically the thing is clean.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
    • Brofist x 3
    • Friendly x 1
    • Okily Dokily! x 1
    • Absolutely Haram x 1
    • honk honk! x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. dehimos Augur

dehimos

:takemymoney:

• incline incline x 5
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Johannes Arcane

Johannes
    I don't care so much about somebody having different politics than me, but when somebody's living off the donations of others it doesn't sit right with me that they're just donating the money ahead to something else.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Space Satan Arcane

Space Satan
    I bet once DF will be released on STEAM it still won't have proper mouse support or UI.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. thesheeep Arcane Patron

thesheeep
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Of course not.
    Because you would have to be a complete moron to want to play a game with a nice and easy control scheme and UI without having to memorize an entire keyboard worth of shortcuts.

Just git gud and learn the ridiculously cumbersome controls, man!

• Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Incantatar Arbiter

Incantatar
    Yes, but unironically.

And for those who don't want gay cave dragons and gay turkeys (nothing personal against gays ;) ) look at my post for a bash script to make creatures straight. https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...rf-fortress-thread.108912/page-8#post-6646402

• incline x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Johannes Arcane

Johannes
    Bash them straight :obviously:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Disgusting! Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Mortmal Arcane

Mortmal
    Wont give any money to this guy nor anyone affiliated . Got lifetime ban from his forums after linking ktoc 2 kickstarter and he doesnt even asnwer to my mail. There's lot better and friendlier indies dev around.

• Agree x 4
    • butthurt x 3
    • Salute x 2
    • Informative x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Deus Vult x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.