Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dwarf Fortress goes next-gen: Payable Content

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Rainseeker, co-host of DF Talk, thought it'd be fun to allow donors to sponsor their favorite animals as they go into the game. So from now until the end of the year, there will be a new reward for donating to Bay 12 Games in addition to ASCII Art/Crayon Art and Champion Listing: Animal Sponsorship! After donating, you'll be given the opportunity to select any animal from the list below. To stop strangeness with multiple very small donations, we have to put a $10 minimum donation for the sponsorship of an animal. You are still eligible for the other donation rewards no matter what your donation amount is.

The animals which were selected will be bumped to the top of the list for addition to the game, and anybody that sponsored an animal will have the option to have their name/nickname listed in the raw files for that animal. Names/nicknames will not appear in the game itself. Multiple people may sponsor the same animal. If an animal is split into multiple types later, the sponsorship information will remain for the new group of animals. As usual, all donations go to Tarn Adams. If you are looking for the giraffe, rhinoceros or any of a number of domestic animals, they are already in the game for next time!

Pay $10 so you'll get useless piece of code that you'll have to use along with DF :thumbsup:

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Makes sense.

people already donate a ton of money to the development and in this way they get something EXTRA from there donation.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
CrimsonAngel said:
Makes sense.

people already donate a ton of money to the development and in this way they get something EXTRA from there donation.

Yes, besides its a good game so we can accept more. And donating for something>donating for the cause obviously.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
I don't think it's a bad idea, after all it's not like you're paying specifically for it, but rather it's like a way of thanking the donators for supporting the game.

aleph

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
Konjad said:
Pay $10 so you'll get useless piece of code that you can't even select with your mouse

Fix'd.

How witty, Skyway...

Why not tell us how much Dwarf Fortress sucks now...?

jiduthie

Educated
I'd really like to see someone compile a top ten list of the most idiotic Skyway comments. This one would be right up there.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Let's sponsor :mhd: as a forgotten beast. DF is lacking in tasteful dwarf rape, after all.

Oaken

Novice
Turisas said:
Let's sponsor :mhd: as a forgotten beast. DF is lacking in tasteful dwarf rape, after all.

There are already tentacle demons, so this wouldn't be lore rape.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I love how when it's this arsehole doing it, it's such a great thing, but if Bethesda or Bioware do it, it's the WORK OF DA DEVIL!!!!!

Hey Malakal, I've a special creature for you to add to your DF: "---O---"
It's a boa constrictor that has swallowed some phat loot! Please send me $10 and it will be all yours!

Fucking DF players: "Oooh an apostrophe! Man, that's a pretty cool looking monster! Whew...that was close! On no, here comes a question mark!"

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Oh, wow, nobody here's being a hypocrite, it's just you not understanding a fuck about what's going on here.

How can you compare DF to any Bethesda or Bioware product? Dwarf Fortress is a freeware game, but as you don't seem to have any basic logic capacity I'll explain it to you, that means you don't have to pay anything for the game, people donate to the developer to support him and as a way of saying "thanks".

Not only he's providing the game for free to everyone, but to reward" in some way these donators he's giving them the option to choose one of the animals that's going to be included in the next update for everyone. Everybody's still donating for the same reasons as before but get a little extra choice in the development, nobody's charging anyone to get a extra animal in your game.

But, hey, it's ok, you went full retard and threw two names hated in the Codex just to induce rage because you're butthurt about that "arsehole", but the main difference is that you pay full price for any Bethesda or Bioware product, and later they make a half-assed DLC that lasts two hours and make you pay to play it.

20 Eyes

Liturgist
TOADY IS RUNNING A DONATION DRIVE TO PICK WHICH ANIMALS HE PUTS INTO HIS FREE GAME?!?!?!?!?!

THIS IS AN OUTRAGE DECLINE POPAMOLE BULLSHIT MOVE WHO DOES HE THINK HE IS DEVELOPING A GAME FOR FREE AND THEN HAVING THE NERVE TO ASK FOR COMPLETELY OPTIONAL DONATIONS JUST TO PICK WHATEVER ANIMAL"S TITS MY DORFS CAN SUCKLE FOR SUSTENANCE? WHAT'S NEXT, ROMANCABLE COMPANIONS?!?!? GRAPHICS??!?!?

:x :x :x :x :x :x

Alex

Arcane
I don't see anything wrong with this, as new animals seems like a very minor aspect of the game. I really wouldn't like to see this escalate, though. I could see the project being led astray if Toady, for example, decided to put for auction which features he would work next. Still, he seems like a smart guy and I don't think there really is a risk of this happening.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
poocolator said:
commie said:
Fucking DF players: "Oooh an apostrophe! Man, that's a pretty cool looking monster! Whew...that was close! On no, here comes a question mark!"
Calm thyself.
Whence does your hatred hail?

Probably the lack of interface. It does that to people trying to play the damn game.

Black Cat

Magister
commie said:

WT0jH.png

:?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom