Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dwarf Fortress (strategy/rpg/roguelike): anyone played?

Oarfish

Prophet
I have played it an unhealthy amount. Superb game, staggeringly ambitious and generally well executed. I am waiting on the next (massive) update before picking it up again. The interface is pretty painful at times, but you get used to it.

psycojester

Arbiter
I think farming and the economy could be handled a bit better (or maybe i just suck) but other than that fucking brilliant game.

Dmitron

Arbiter
Great game. Also waiting for the next release before picking it up again. Been checking the developments page daily.

Nicolai

DUMBFUCK
Every few months someone will make one of these "Ever play Dwarf Fortress?" threads.

MisterStone

Arcane
Well, let's just keep this thread alive then. Unless it needs to be in a different forum? City builder? Strategy? RPG? Which one?

Anyways, I have been waiting way too anxiously for the next big release. Its already an incredibly fun game as it is, and the next release looks like it should be ridiculously complex and even more fun. Here's hoping that it will be stable enough to enjoy.

Balor

Arcane
I suspect that it may actuall less fun as a 'game' for a while after the next update.
Too many things changed, so, most likely, it may be unstable and unbalanced.
But give it a few month of bugtesting - and mind boggles with possibilities.
Gotta donate some from my next salary myself, I guess.

Oarfish

Prophet
Nothing dramatic in the works, I think he has fixed about the most egregious problem though - the material selection list for building. The core of the game is his focus and the interface generally just ends up getting bits glued on as he works, it's a bit of a shame he can't partially open source it so others can work on the interface and renderer.

Balor

Arcane
Well, I would not say 'z-axis', continous world and armies are 'nothing dramatic'.
No other game tackled that (well, at least in one go) before.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom