Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Dwarf Fortress

Discussion in 'Strategy and Simulation' started by PorkyThePaladin, Jul 8, 2014.

1. PorkyThePaladin Arcane

PorkyThePaladin
    Then why didn't you link the full post? You think googling Steam + Dwarf Fortress while having to spell all of that out on your cheese covered keyboard with the space key glued by said cheese to the bottom is easy?

^ Top  
  2. AdvancedHero Arbiter

AdvancedHero
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. dehimos Augur

dehimos
    I have no problem with this, I use Therapist to assign jobs and understand what is happening.

^ Top  
  4. Gobblecock Arcane Zionist Agent

Gobblecock
    It's been a solid decade since I last played this slop. I'd fire it up to see what a decade of updates has added, but it's probably just the ability of dwarves to get hangnails.

PS. Since Chris Chan is in the news lately... I want to broach this situation as gently as possible, but do you think Tarn would ever incest his retarded brother to lose his V-card? It's got shades of Chris Chan written all over it.

• WTF am I reading x 3
    • honk honk! x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • not sure if serious x 1
    • decline x 1
    • STOP! posting x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. AdvancedHero Arbiter

AdvancedHero
    I'm just going to assume that was a terrible joke and move past it.
    I think it would be for the best if we kept the focus of this thread on the game and mechanics.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Gobblecock Arcane Zionist Agent

Gobblecock
    That's exactly the thing. It's suspicious that it already isn't a game mechanic. Since every third dwarf is already a cock-hungry faggot, why hasn't Tarn tried to incorporate incest into the game mechanics? As the Chris-Chan episode shows, it's very common in lonely middle-aged internet personas like him and Tarn Adams. Tarn is hiding some secret shame, that's why. Threetoe could be in danger.

• Brofist x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • STOP! posting x 1
    • [citation needed] x 1
    • honk honk! x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Incantatar Cipher

Incantatar
    There should be a mod that uses an old version of DF and only adds selective changes to the game. When I look at DF today and back then, it lost quite a bit of charm.

^ Top  
  8. Haba Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Yeah. I just want to have a fun fortress experience, I don't need all the unnecessary chaff around it.

Shit really started going downhill when the game went "3D".

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Visperas Savant

Visperas
    What a bunch of morons in this thread...

• cuck cuck x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. PorkyThePaladin Arcane

PorkyThePaladin
    So you guys want Tarn Adams to give up on his ultimate simulation game that can procedurally simulate Middle Earth or Westeros or Urf or whatever, just to make some fortress game? :retarded:

• Yes Yes x 4
    • STOP! posting STOP! posting x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. AdvancedHero Arbiter

AdvancedHero
    If you don't like DF, then play KeeperRL.

• Despair Despair x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Incantatar Cipher

Incantatar
    Dwarves are literal queer emos since a couple of years. Everyone became a fucking noble and the simulation moved more in the direction of the Sims instead of a Tolkien sim.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • decline decline x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Mortmal Arcane

Mortmal
    Rimworld is better now and has full modding support , dont waste time with this shit anymore.

• decline decline x 2
    • retadred retadred x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. AdvancedHero Arbiter

AdvancedHero
    They both have very different appeals., and I enjoy both in their own place.

^ Top  
  15. Blackshirt Learned

Blackshirt
    The whole psychology aspect is truly and thoroughly fucked and should be removed just like the economy was. I can never live out my dream of experiencing several decades of in-game history because after 6 years or so at the latest some dumbass gets haggard at which point he might as well have cancer because that shit is basically incurable. It wouldn't be such a problem if those naggers wouldn't regularly chimp out and beat the shit out of everyone within arms reach, causing tantrum spirals.

This happens to everyone potentially, assuming enough time passes. It is every single dwarf's fate to lose their marbles and die. Worst thing is, it happens most often to those, who you would think would be the most stress resistant. A mayor for example is specifically elected for his leadership skills, implying that he should be able to handle the stress of ruling. A necromancer should feel fuck all in the first place considering he has mastered death. Realising the futility of my efforts to keep my dwarfs happy, I turned them all into vampires. Only after that, they became unable to drink booze while still being alcoholics, which is the most bullshit bug ever. And it IS a bug not a feature. We know this for a fact, because the motherfuckers will still drink if it is served to them at a bar. And even then they still mope. One time, one of my vamp-dwarfs threw a tantrum and caused a brawl in the hospital which somehow ended with literally 2/3 of the population being injured. I savescummed. In conclusion, not even undeath protects from inevitable madness.

I think Toader should shift the focus away from playing psychiatrist to making fortress building and managing more interesting. He could start by finally implementing light sources and reinstating the economy. Some meaningful political and socioeconomic additions would also be nice because at this point, no fortress ever evolves beyond the point of being a glorified shopping mall and warehouse. Also waiting for the piss and shit update. Building an efficient sewage system sounds like a nice challenge. But no, we gotta have wizards first :roll:.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  16. Incantatar Cipher

Incantatar
    Don't forget FPS death which is depressing enough, creeping into the game the further you go with it. Economy pisses me off too. There is trading and it is completely broken since day 1, with shit like prepared meals or glass traps selling for millions. Never ever fixed, since over a decade... Would that be so hard to fix? Or the bonkers bins and barrels OR the broken stockpile settings. Arghh.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. RoBoBOBR Cipher Patron

RoBoBOBR
    Stress was mostly fixed in latest versions, for example my current fort is nearly 4 years old and only 1 out of 160+ dorfs is slightly miserable (1st stage of stress), while 40+ dudes are happy.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    yeah these days df is easy to play, almost too easy.

^ Top  
  19. PorkyThePaladin Arcane

PorkyThePaladin
    You guys can't really judge it in terms of challenge, etc right now, because it's in the middle of development. How do you think any game would be at that point? It's just DF has a much longer development cycle (roughly around 30 years). So we are mostly dealing with incomplete or missing systems and gameplay loops.

• honk honk! honk honk! x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. covr Prophet Patron

covr
    But the game was perfectly playable and enjoyably challenging around 8 years ago!

^ Top  
  21. Niggerino Scholar

Niggerino
    Tranny Fortress

^ Top  
  22. PorkyThePaladin Arcane

PorkyThePaladin
    Because at that point, he was just doing early development, and implementing simplified versions of final systems.

• honk honk! honk honk! x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. Non-Edgy Gamer Scholar

Non-Edgy Gamer
    Sad.

^ Top  
  24. RhodokMasterRaceOfficial Arbiter

RhodokMasterRaceOfficial
    Why did people ever think this game was "hard"? It's just a citybuilder with more complex characters. It only gives the illusion of being hard because losing can be very volatile and there's no hard-coded "win" condition, so you will always lose. And because the UI is crap.

If you think that the old stress mechanics were intended design I don't know what to tell you. Dwarves getting rained on and being destroyed from the inside out by this traumatic memory for the rest of their lives sounds like either a bug or bad implementation. Especially when this behaviour is hardcoded and still affects you even if you mod the fort race to be humans, or elves, who both shouldn't care (especially the latter).

• Agree Agree x 1
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.