Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DX:HR leak impressions

gromit

Arcane
Ulminati said:
My money says she's been locked up somewhere to do SCIENCE! and you'll get to choose between saving her or letting a bad guy go at some plot point in the future that gets telegraphed way before you reach it.
You're probably right... that one guy
who is totally Bob Page amirite?
isn't the wasteful type.

Renegen

Arcane
J1M said:
Ulminati said:
SoupNazi said:
Quilty said:
Another one of those games that expects you to care about certain characters (or loss of them) 10 minutes into the game.

Technically, it doesn't. In several conversations you can choose an option that Jensen has moved on from Reed's death etc. It's not much, but if it lasts until the end of the game, then I'd say it's p. cool.

Is she dead though? In the intro, the stereotypical bad guys were talking about getting hold of her rather than getting rid of her. We never actually see her get killed, plus barret (the big guy you kill at the end of the preview) was already carrying another unconscious scientist over his shoulder when you got shot. If you do the side mission forher mother and crack the safe near the police station, you'll find out that the footage that was deliberately removed from the case files showed the FEMA people bringing something INTO the Sarif labs. If it's big enogh to be prominent on the cameras, it must've been on a trolley or something similar. I'm guessing it's a couple of fresh corpses made to look like the scientists they wanted to abduct and all the incinerating bodies spiel was to make it less likely people would notice somethign were off about the body switch.

My money says she's been locked up somewhere to do SCIENCE! and you'll get to choose between saving her or letting a bad guy go at some plot point in the future that gets telegraphed way before you reach it.

In before Kosmonaut copies something in spoiler tags and reposts it in giant, yellow letters.

Yeah, the only part that felt rail-roaded was when I had to help Jenny instead of switching sides to O'Malley. You can choose to not arrest him though, so I guess they support it in a minor way.

The dead gf story was well done in-game but spoiled by the trailers.

The funny thing is that when we knew nothing about the game, the trailers didnt make sense except to be cool. But now after having played so much, the trailers actually spoil a lot. For example, in one trailer, Barrett is back to fight you again.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
wallace said:
You're probably right... that one guy
who is totally Bob Page amirite?
isn't the wasteful type.

I like how they brought him back and made him recognizable as a younger version of himself in DX.

I also found the multitude of references to
Walter Simmons and Joseph Manderlys doings a nice nod to fans of the original without being so obtuse they'd confuse newcomers. I even found a newspaper in the FEMA base with a picture of the NSA leader you have to capture in mission 1 of DX.

SoupNazi

Yeah, Manderley is actually a part of the conspiracy if you read through the computers at the police station. He's in charge of the cover up.

J1M

Arcane
SoupNazi said:
Yeah, Manderley is actually a part of the conspiracy if you read through the computers at the police station. He's in charge of the cover up.
And the FEMA troops look a lot like a proto-MJ12.

J1M

Arcane
Renegen said:
The funny thing is that when we knew nothing about the game, the trailers didnt make sense except to be cool. But now after having played so much, the trailers actually spoil a lot. For example, in one trailer, Barrett is back to fight you again.
Pfft, it was pretty clear he was trying to get his ex back who had been kidnapped.

baronjohn

Cipher
J1M said:
baronjohn said:
The unlocking tool is a preorder bonus. I don't think it's in the standard game. And it's a huge cheat.
It is a consumable. They are found (rarely) in the environment and you can buy them in shops 300 credits. The cost of selling 2 handguns. There must be about a hundred things to hack in the detroit area, and using one of these tools lets you skip one at the cost of the experience for hacking it.
But if you read their description you'll notice that it says *** PREORDER BONUS *** on all of them. This leads me to believe that they won't be in the standard game.

J1M

Arcane
baronjohn said:
J1M said:
baronjohn said:
The unlocking tool is a preorder bonus. I don't think it's in the standard game. And it's a huge cheat.
It is a consumable. They are found (rarely) in the environment and you can buy them in shops 300 credits. The cost of selling 2 handguns. There must be about a hundred things to hack in the detroit area, and using one of these tools lets you skip one at the cost of the experience for hacking it.
But if you read their description you'll notice that it says *** PREORDER BONUS *** on all of them. This leads me to believe that they won't be in the standard game.
But if you use your brain, you will realize they would not have gone to the work to create a unique item and distribute it throughout the game just for people who preorder at gamestop. Instead, they would dump a couple of items in your inventory.

EDIT: PRE-ORDER BONUS: 10,000 credits. Sorry guys, you can't use credits in the game cuz you didn't pre-order. :lol:

Data4

Arcane
Aha... I fixed the performance issue. I set my graphics card settings for optimal performance, and was able to jack all the in-game settings back to their highest. Game runs as smooth as butter now.

First major criticism: Jensen can't shoot for shit from cover. I know you're supposed to be weak at the beginning of the game, but this dude is ex-SWAT and head of a major corporation's security force. You'd think that'd required some rudimentary skills in place already.

Multi-headed Cow

IIRC the cover system in Deus Ex 3 lets you pop out/up for aimed shots if you move in the direction of the opening. If you're against a waist high wall, move forward while in third person cover mode to stand up and aim. Against a doorway, left or right to pop around it.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I guess I'll join in on the conversation...

I'm actually quite surprised that I enjoyed playing this "demo". Once I turned off all the console crap in the menu options, it felt like a Deus Ex game! The voice acting was good, really like the environments, enjoyed the dialogues and choices, exploration was fun, and the shooting wasn't that bad. Overall I really enjoyed it and think that Edios Montreal seemed to nail this one. Enough that I went ahead and pre-ordered the game. I look forward to the whole game and just hope I haven't already played half of it!!

Yume

Novice
I was under the impression the game was a continuity reset, but all this talk about references and continuity nods has me confused. The question: Is it an honest to god prequel with a retconned technological level or is it a continuity reset that reuses names and character concepts in diferent ways?

MCA
Played the leak today.
- Control scheme is royally fucked up. Game doesn't recognise and register every key properly. It doesn't even recognise the 4th and 5th mouse buttons. Likewise, not enough options for remapping (even COD offers a choice between toggle crouch and hold-down crouch).
- "Sprinting" is a joke
- Inventory is cumbersome. Instead of a simple right click on objects to get the detailed view, you have to move over the item first and select the detailed view in the options that pop-up. It feels so outdated.
- Its scale is also FUCKING HUGE despite providing very limited storage space.
- Even though environmental details are gorgeous and there is clutter around, it still looks very sterile, like a tech demo. Especially with the blooming lights. Very poor management of a quality art direction.
- Has that bitch from Smallville.

I don't think I'll play any further, I don't want to spoil the story.

Is anyone else having performance issues? There is a very annoying is latency (not low FPS) on my game.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Yume said:
I was under the impression the game was a continuity reset, but all this talk about references and continuity nods has me confused. The question: Is it an honest to god prequel with a retconned technological level or is it a continuity reset that reuses names and character concepts in diferent ways?

It's an honest to god prequel with a tech reset. The reused characters from what we've seen of them are the same as they were in DX. Manderly's recently been reassigned to FEMA, the FEMA troops are very similar to the MJ12 uniforms in DX. NSA is recently established, and the NSA leader you capture in mission 1 in DX is their spokesperson. Page is there in the intro as well, and I think it's the same voice actor they got playing him. (Though I may be wrong here). I wouldn't be surprised if they blow up the statue of liberty at some point in this game and establish UNATCO towards the end.

villain of the story said:
Is anyone else having performance issues? There is a very annoying is latency (not low FPS) on my game.

I'm playing it on the highest detail settings the leak allows (so everything but textures at max) and I get ~50-55 fps. And that's on a rig that was actively mocked in one of the TWitcher threads as being way too old to play current PC games. I guess Eidos can into 3d engines better than CD Project.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Data4 said:
Rohit_N said:
Are you sure you're not using blind fire?

That's exactly what it is. Spray and pray, towelhead style. Guess I missed something somewhere.
So basically at first you were like this:

33wupfn.png

And then you were like this:

2sayvzo.png

The only difference was she survived without reloading.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Data4 said:
Rohit_N said:
Are you sure you're not using blind fire?

That's exactly what it is. Spray and pray, towelhead style. Guess I missed something somewhere.

Press Forward/Sideways depending on whether you're standing at the side edge of cover or not to pop out of your mole hole for muchly increased accuracy and juicy incoming enemy fire. If you have a scoped weapon, you can zoom while your mole is popped, but normal ironsights are disabled for some reason :mystary:

Data4

Arcane
:lol: Okay, now that I got technical difficulties and my own dumbfuckery out of the way, this is turning out pretty cool. I can't believe I missed Bob Page in the intro, though. Where was he? I just finished the mission to quell the attack on the manufacturing plant and just debriefed with Sarif. I understand the Manderlay reference is in the Police Department, where I need to get into the morgue, so I'll keep an eye out.

J1M

Arcane
Data4 said:
:lol: Okay, now that I got technical difficulties and my own dumbfuckery out of the way, this is turning out pretty cool. I can't believe I missed Bob Page in the intro, though. Where was he? I just finished the mission to quell the attack on the manufacturing plant and just debriefed with Sarif. I understand the Manderlay reference is in the Police Department, where I need to get into the morgue, so I'll keep an eye out.
You didn't notice his voice in the intro movie? He has the same implants you see in DX, talking to his 4 operatives before the attack on Serif.

Data4

Arcane
J1M said:
Data4 said:
You didn't notice his voice in the intro movie? He has the same implants you see in DX, talking to his 4 operatives before the attack on Serif.

... Holy fuck, you're right. I didn't start the game until extremely late last night and was pretty tired, so it never occurred to me. I just watched the intro on Youtube and yeah... I honestly don't remember most of it from the first time I saw it.

Monocause

Arcane
Uh, I really hope they'll add some reactivity. Like, a lot. Replayed the first mission now.

- Deactivated the bomb, then murdered the hostages with headshots, each and every one of them, Greg Thorpe included. No reaction, later turned out that this is bugged out, because

- On the helipad Greg Thorpe apparently got resurrected and was asking for his wife. Talked to Malik, told her that I need a couple of minutes more. Returned for Greg Thorpe's corpse downstairs and brought it up. The policemen started shooting me so I got sneaky. Tranqed the policemen so that Greg Thorpe could interact with his carbon copy. No reaction. Then proceeded to kill the unconscious policemen and Greg Thorpe. Still no reaction.

I hope that this is due to the leak being a preview version - after all, this isn't something that a previewer would do (or want to write about). This was an important part of the first game though - moments like "Denton, do you happen to know what happened to the UNATCO soldier that went on the roof?" that made it special.

deuxhero

Arcane
So I'm on another forum, and this "journalist" (his profile links to articles he has done) is saying not to play the leak because it's unfinished (keep in mind, he keeps saying he has played XINO and that its good...). I just pointed this out to him. I'll come back and tell you how he :x s

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom