Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DX:HR leak impressions

baronjohn

Cipher
J1M said:
baronjohn said:
J1M said:
baronjohn said:
The unlocking tool is a preorder bonus. I don't think it's in the standard game. And it's a huge cheat.
It is a consumable. They are found (rarely) in the environment and you can buy them in shops 300 credits. The cost of selling 2 handguns. There must be about a hundred things to hack in the detroit area, and using one of these tools lets you skip one at the cost of the experience for hacking it.
But if you read their description you'll notice that it says *** PREORDER BONUS *** on all of them. This leads me to believe that they won't be in the standard game.
But if you use your brain, you will realize they would not have gone to the work to create a unique item and distribute it throughout the game just for people who preorder at gamestop. Instead, they would dump a couple of items in your inventory.

EDIT: PRE-ORDER BONUS: 10,000 credits. Sorry guys, you can't use credits in the game cuz you didn't pre-order. :lol:
Yes, the ITEM is a pre-order bonus. It won't be in the game at all. I don't even think you get one at the start. The soonest you can get it is buying it from the gangsta.

MCA
Ulminati said:
villain of the story said:
Is anyone else having performance issues? There is a very annoying is latency (not low FPS) on my game.

I'm playing it on the highest detail settings the leak allows (so everything but textures at max) and I get ~50-55 fps. And that's on a rig that was actively mocked in one of the TWitcher threads as being way too old to play current PC games. I guess Eidos can into 3d engines better than CD Project.

It's not the fps.

J1M

Arcane
Let's talk about augmentation choices. Below I review all the augs individually. For build ideas I have a couple:
-Level 5 hack capture with level 2 hack stealth. Later points into jump, slow fall, and cloaking.
-Ignore hacking, get aim stabilization, lots of inventory room for cool weapons, dermal armor.

Sadly I can't think of a build that would make heavy use of the energy improvement augs. Just ones adding cloak with recharge timer to another build. This probably doesn't matter, I suspect it will be possible to acquire all of the useful augmentations in one play through.

Legend:
[Cost] - [Name] [Rating]
[My thoughts]

Cranium Augmentations
2 praxis - Social Enhancer & Emotional Intelligence Enhancer :/
Cool idea, not required to solve any dialogs. Part of the UI is visible in all conversations and I find that too annoying to ignore. Save and try it out on the cop at the desk to see it fully in action.

1 praxis - Wayfinder Radar 2 :dizzy:
Useless. Would cause extra beeping if enemies are alerted.

7 praxis - Stealth Enhancer Tree :dizzy:
Adds UI clutter. Provides information the player already has.

Hacking Augmentations
1x4 praxis - Hacking Capture 2, 3, 4, & 5 :)
Hacking gives XP, more if you are careful to get all the cube nodes. It's hard to say whether or not it will ever be a net positive amount of XP, given that you will have to spend 5-6 praxis to be capable of hacking everything. (30,000 XP) These make exploration and chronic breaking and entering much easier. The mini-game is fairly enjoyable and they made a ton of the hacking levels. I only remember seeing repeats in the FEMA base.

1x2 praxis - Turret Domination & Robot Domination :(
In the first third of the game there are only two hackable turrets. It's possible that the (only) bot can be hacked, but the grenade on the box was much more expedient. Possibly worth more later. Will depend on what types of anti-bot weapons exist. Though if you don't care about stealth, the Typhoon is probably better.

1x2 praxis - Hacking Fortify 2 & 3 :(
Unless I'm a dolt, there is no way to use hotkeys to speed up hacking input. That means the time gained for fortifying a node is often at the expense of the time to click on it. It can still be useful, but generally due to the high chance of detection it is not a good preventative measure. It's not a bad thing to do, it's just not worth making better and stop worms have a hotkey.

1x3 praxis - Hacking Stealth 1, 2 & 3 :)
This is a lot more useful than it sounds, and I would spend points here before Fortify. Combined with use of the disconnect option, it is often possible to almost complete a hack before being detected. I also find this aug makes hacking more strategic and less about clicking quickly.

1x2 praxis - Hacking Analyze & Analyze All :dizzy:
Total garbage. Percentages are determined by node level, which is already visible and easy to learn. Nodes are always XP, credits, or hacking consumables. So, the only use for this aug would be to tell you that a node contains worthless credits. Instead of wasting 2 praxis, one could simply capture the node and disconnect.

Torso Augmentations
1x3 praxis - Energy Level 1, 2, & 3 :/
Not sure if these are worth it. This aug would be better balanced with the recharge ones if you recharged half of your total cells instead of just one. You get energy back by going to a safe place like your apartment, but recharge items are fairly rare. Most of the time you are sitting on the one bar that you recharge. Could be required for a character that wanted to use a lot of an activated aug like stealth.

1x2 praxis - Energy Recharge 1 & 2 :/
Two praxis here will reduce cut recharge time in half from 40 seconds to 20 seconds for one bar, but not the number of cells that recharge. Might be a nice convenience, but I can't think of any situation that requires a 20 second recharge that can't be done with a 40 second recharge.

2 praxis - Implanted Rebreather & Chemical Resistence :(
Way too expensive. I only came across harmful gas twice in Detroit. Might be worth one point just because gas kills so fast on hard difficulty. If later enemies use gas grenades instead of emp or frag ones this could get better.

1x2 praxis - Hyper-oxygenation 1 & 2 :(
The doubled sprint duration is nice, but not worth 4 points.

2 praxis - Typhoon Explosive System & Light Damage :/
This kills guys around you as advertised. Not very useful on its own because you need to be in the middle of a lot of enemies to make the most of it, and not be in line of sight of others once the animation finishes. Could potentially be combed with cloak for better results, but then you have to add the cost of an energy bar to the special ammo and energy cell this costs.

1 praxis - Typhoon Heavy Damage :/
If this can kill anything in the game as advertised it is probably worth a look. In most situations, standing next to a heavy bot is a bad idea.

Arm Augmentations
2 praxis - Aim Stabilizer & Aiming Motion Control 1 :)
In addition to improving the time it takes for the aiming spread to minimize, this aug also stabilizes scoped weapons like the sniper rifle. The alternative to this upgrade path is to equip your weapons with a laser sight. Laser sights will make a weapon always 100% accurate, but I find the laser graphic distracting and you need one for each weapon you plan to use.

1 praxis - Aiming Motion Control 2 :)
With this aug your accuracy is always at maximum.

1 praxis - Move/Throw Heavy Objects :(
You can't really jump with heavy objects or take them in vents and DX3 has fewer items that you can move around. In cases where a heavy object blocked a path there was always another way around or the heavy object could be destroyed. Might be possible to build some interesting stuff with boxes and garbage bins.

1 praxis - Punch Through Wall :/
Hard to say how useful this is. I didn't have it for most of my time and it is required to see the places where it could be useful. A shame, since those places can also be destroyed with conventional explosives. Probably worth picking up to find all the secret areas, but only if you are using object highlighting. (Something better could have been done with the design of this and the x-ray vision aug.)

1x2 praxis - Recoil Compensation 1 & 2 :(
I never tend to use SMGs in games like this. The only other gun I can see this as useful with would be the assault rifle, and that seems to work just fine without it. Unless this has an unexpected benefit or some very exotic weapons with lots of ammo are available later, this is a poor investment.

1x3 praxis - Carrying Capacity 1, 2, & 3 :)
Yeah, it's a bitch to spend an aug point on inventory space, but as you can see from the aug list so far, items are where real power comes from in this game. The only options in the game not directly tied to expendable resources are take-downs and hacking. One or two points here will be a must if you want to carry anything cool or varied.

Eye Augmentations
2 praxis - Smart Vision & Wall-Penetrating Imager :dizzy:
Garbage. The compass provides this functionality without costing energy. Does not show items behind destructible walls.

1 praxis - Cooldown Timer :dizzy:
A waste. Only redeeming quality is that it displays near the compass, so at least it doesn't clutter the screen. However, it will only activate after you look at someone for a while. Usually a time when you are about to be found or about to take them out.

1 praxis - Flash Suppressant :(
Similar to the lung aug, this could be useful if enemies use a lot of flashbangs later. At least it doesn't cost 2 points.

Back Augmentations
2 praxis - Reflex Booster & Multiple Take-Down :(
This plays a cool animation and saves you an energy cell, but requires two enemies near each other. Without this aug, I found stun gun + awesome button took out two guys just fine. Could be useful if you were planning to ghost everything. Hard to tell if in right position without the take-down popups on.

2 praxis - Icarus Landing System & Descent Modulation System :)
The default fall distance makes AJ very fragile. Only drawback to this is sometimes you can't tell if a drop will be third person or not. If you press fire at the wrong time, you will shoot your gun on the way down instead of doing the stun.

Skin Augmentations
2+1x2 praxis - Dermal Armor & Damage Reduction 1, 2, & 3 :)
Likely 'required' by the end of the game if not taking a strict stealth approach, especially on harder difficulties. Not something I would invest in first.

1 praxis - EMP Shielding :/
Good if you have the pre-reqs for it already. I saw more EMP grenades than any other type. Best choice of the three special damage type defense augs.

4 praxis - Cloaking System :)
This is extremely effective, but I wouldn't purchase this unless you have the points to buy the whole tree. At 7 seconds of cloak per energy cell it is a lot more feasible to partially use a cell and let it regen or use multiple cells to bypass a larger area.

Leg Augmentations
2 praxis - Cybernetic Leg & Jump Enhancement :)
Being able to jump higher is very nice and opens some new paths. Be careful unless you also have the Icaraus Landing System.

1 praxis - Sprint Enhancement :(
You can notice the speed increase but its not really enough to let sprinting do what it couldn't before. Unlike DX1 and DX2, this is not the best aug in the game.

1x2 praxis - Run Silently & Sprint Silently :(
Energy consumption on this is very annoying because it means it can't be used to sneak up and do a take-down without having more than one energy cell available. Also, you usually want to be crouched to avoid being seen.

1 praxis - Jump and Land Silently :/
Unlike the other silent movement augmentations, this lets you do something you couldn't do before. Sadly, due to pre-reqs and energy activation cost, it's not worth it. Getting this requires an investment of 5 points and I can only see doing that if one already has some of them for another reason.

Data4

Arcane
Ulminati said:
Is anyone else having performance issues? There is a very annoying is latency (not low FPS) on my game.

I'm playing it on the highest detail settings the leak allows (so everything but textures at max) and I get ~50-55 fps. And that's on a rig that was actively mocked in one of the TWitcher threads as being way too old to play current PC games. I guess Eidos can into 3d engines better than CD Project.

It's not the fps.

I had some bad choppiness at first, but I decided to set my graphics card settings (ATI Catalyst control center) to Optimal Performance, and it went away. I then started turning in-game graphics settings back on one by one, and am suffering no performance problems. The game looks as good as the demo will allow and runs a solid 40-45 FPS with no hitching or pausing as textures load.

This probably is due to lack of optimization in the code at this stage. I'm pretty sure this is the kind of thing that gets squashed in the final tune and polish stage before release.

Renegen

Arcane
J1M, that guide is definitively just your opinion. I found Stealh Enhancer incredibly useful. Previously, I had to reload whenever I failed to pass silently or make a takedown, after it I succeeded 100% of the time on what I wanted to do. Something else that was great is the "last position" aug. With it, you can see where the enemies will go if they detect you and you can totally manipulate them. Nothing is left to chance anymore on your stealth actions. It's probably one of the best augs.

Smart Vision was also extremely useful. First it consumes little energy and can be used a lot, and it's great for seeing enemies walk around corners. The radar is nowhere near close in accuracy, not to mention it confuses floors. You can use this for example to see someone just about to make a corner and you ready your rifle exactly where his head will show up, or you throw a grenade and only denotate it at the perfect moment when enemies are near. You can also see important consoles like computers with it and some items I think. It's mostly used in stressful situations.

The Leg augmentations were also quite useful I found. Who dumps on Move Silent Augs? I haven't tried it, but I'm convinced you can turn it off before it uses a full energy cell, therefore not wasting anything. As long as the full cell isn't used, it will recharge over time.

Hell I find Aiming Motion Control useless, who runs and guns in this game?

One of the things that I think this game does differently from Deus Ex is how they handle multiple paths, and I think it's done really well. I'll give you an example. Electric current on the floor or gas are not like in the original DX where they were merely a nuisance. They kill extremely fast. You don't have the augmentation to protect yourself against them? Tough luck, you won't ever be able to get past. This is different from DX where getting the EMP or Toxic augmentations only made it easier to get past those obstacles, not necessary.

Another example is the Social Enhancer which in the leak actually IS required to solve one dialog I know of. There is this character named Wagner who hides some information. You can talk to him but it won't go anywhere. If you use your Social Enhancer, you get to pull that information out of him. Without the Social Enhancer, the only way to get the information is to sneak in his office. And of course, the aug gives you more ways to get the conversation to go your way and it gives you valuable information.

There are paths where you have to use the Move Heavy Objects aug, in DX all you had to do was slowly push that huge crate and it did the job. in DX:HR different principle here, no aug, no luck.

Now of course there will always be different ways to solve a mission. You will never get stuck in the main storyline. But I love the way Augs are now necessary to open some paths. This will lead to any build being viable.

Gerrard

Arcane
The game looks like it's 5 years old.

And what settings? Surely you don't mean shadows on/off and anti-aliasing?

Gerrard said:

And what settings? Surely you don't mean shadows on/off and anti-aliasing?

maybe because beta version allows you to play only on low settngs?

believe me witcher2 on low sets looks like garbage, even worse than dx.

C&C is gay. Its gay. In view of TW2, it fails. There is no real branching there

:retarded:

no its not gay. gay is saying that c&c in twicher2 is not gay

baronjohn

Cipher
I replayed it and ghosted the whole leak, including the intro.

Other than the final boss, none of the main missions require you to take down anyone and all the side missions that require violence can be done with non-lethal weapons. So it's all cool.

It's kinda sad that "ghosting" xp is given if you take down enemies, but at least they seriously encourage stealth as a valid path through the game.

Does anyone know what the "smooth operator" xp is for? I always got it.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Smooth Operator is for not triggering any alarms, and I think the police station is the only place in the demo that has an alarm system.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Gerrard said:
I haven't played the leak, but thank you - now that I hear suspicions that the game doesn't use the latest and bestest graphics whoring available, I know it can never be a true Deus Ex game worthy of playing. Fuck character customization and multiple paths, if the graphics look like it's 5 years old none of it matters. :roll:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
curry said:
Is the leak complete or just first chapter like someone wrote?
It is the first chapter, one fourth of the complete game as I understand it.

Gerrard

Arcane
CappenVarra said:
Gerrard said:
I haven't played the leak, but thank you - now that I hear suspicions that the game doesn't use the latest and bestest graphics whoring available, I know it can never be a true Deus Ex game worthy of playing. Fuck character customization and multiple paths, if the graphics look like it's 5 years old none of it matters. :roll:
Maybe try reading the fucking post I was replying to before writing another retarded post.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
J1M said:
baronjohn said:
J1M said:
baronjohn said:
The unlocking tool is a preorder bonus. I don't think it's in the standard game. And it's a huge cheat.
It is a consumable. They are found (rarely) in the environment and you can buy them in shops 300 credits. The cost of selling 2 handguns. There must be about a hundred things to hack in the detroit area, and using one of these tools lets you skip one at the cost of the experience for hacking it.
But if you read their description you'll notice that it says *** PREORDER BONUS *** on all of them. This leads me to believe that they won't be in the standard game.
But if you use your brain, you will realize they would not have gone to the work to create a unique item and distribute it throughout the game just for people who preorder at gamestop. Instead, they would dump a couple of items in your inventory.
it's only gamestop if you are a kwanian. for eurofags every amazon purchase has both preorder packs.

and yes, it would make sense if, say, they planned to release it afterwards as dlc for 5 bucks, which i am betting on.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
Gerrard said:
CappenVarra said:
Gerrard said:
Maybe try reading the fucking post I was replying to before writing another retarded post.
Sorry, when it comes to graphics whoring, I write retarded posts first and ask questions later. Call it a character flaw if you will...

J1M

Arcane
anus_pounder said:
Jaedar said:
curry said:
Is the leak complete or just first chapter like someone wrote?
It is the first chapter, one fourth of the complete game as I understand it.

How many hours did it take to finish the first chapter?
Based on the loading screens, this is the first 6 of an unknown number of chapters. Length greatly depends on how much exploration you do. The number I've heard most often is 10 hours. For me it was at least 15.

Renegen

Arcane
I can't really remember how long Deus Ex was, but I distinctively remember System Shock 2 being less than 20 hours, even if you did everything. FPS rarely go above 20 hours, even the good ones. I'd estimate Deus Ex is around 30. This game should be about the same too.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Tigranes said:
DX1 was bloody long. In fact, it was too long.
Have to agree. As good as Deus Ex is, it lost steam midway through. I always have to take a break whenever I play it about half of the way just because I think it loses the plot just a little bit. It picks up again once you get to Paris, but the middle section of the game in Hong Kong feels a bit drawn out, even if it is a necessary bridge between the two parts.

baronjohn

Cipher
DX1 was just about right and if the leak is 1/4 of the game HR is going to be very similar.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom