Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dying Light 2 Stay Human - zombie survival with choice & consequence

CyberModuled

Savant
Seems like a dev has already gone out of their way to debunk the buy out rumor (along with the translation of the article itself). Hopefully the game's development is in a good state, the gameplay video looked like everything I wanted from a sequel to the first.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gerrard

Arcane
They are planning to enter the stock market after DL2 release by the way, so this was their last chance to make an ambitious game and not AAA trash.

Silly Germans

I'd like to see a sequel to Chrome. It was a bit rough around the edges but overall decent and showed a lot of potential.
Is it know whether they are still developing Call of Juarez games ?

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
the story direction, the gameplay direction, fundamental game mechanics are being constantly changed.

Not like I ever expected anything of this but its always amusing to see devs squirming in lack of vision

no one knows what the game is really supposed to be.

Some ass creed parkour shite?

orcinator

Liturgist
Maybe they'll add some more zombie types while remaking the game.
Ah who am I kidding they're probably trying to figure out how to implement GloryKills™ from NuevoDoom.

Danikas

Arcane
Il translate what Chris Avellone said in this article:

"Lubię pracować nad Dying Lightem 2 i lubię pracować z Techlandem. Oczywiście, że omawialiśmy poszczególne elementy projektu i oczywiście, że zmieniał się on podczas kolejnych iteracji… ale to normalna część każdego procesu tworzenia
"
I like to work on Dying light 2 and I like to work with Techland. Its obvious that we discussed each element of the project and of course the project was changing during each iteration but its a normal part of creative process.

"Historia to kluczowy element Dying Lighta 2. I dla mnie, i dla teamu ważne jest, żeby wyszła dobrze."

The story is a key part of Dying light 2 and for me and the team its important to get it right.

"Robimy grę open worldową i, siłą rzeczy, musimy mieć open worldową fabułę. Inne marki koncentrują się na tworzeniu coraz większych, coraz bardziej szczegółowych światów. My stawiamy na doświadczenia gracza. To dobry sposób, ale – niestety – cholernie, cholernie trudny, wymaga wielu iteracji."

We are making an open world game and it has to have open world story. Other franchises focus on creating even bigger and even more detailed worlds. We focus on player expierience. Its a good way of making games but its very hard and requires many iterations.

Also regarding their new project in 2016 they got goverment dotation for

„Opracowanie grywalnego prototypu interakcji z przeciwnikami nietypowych rozmiarów, dla gier z kategorii FPP, action-RPG, rozgrywanej w autorskim świecie fantasy, z wykorzystaniem technologii DirectX12”.
Design of playable prototype for interaction with enemies of unusual size for Fpp action-rpg set in fantasy world with Dx12 technology.

Sounds to me like they are planning fpp dragons dogma.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.escapistmagazine.com/v2/dying-light-2-interview-techland-response-development-trouble/

Dying Light 2 Is in ‘the Last Stretch’: Techland Refutes Reports of Studio Troubles

dyinglight2-702x395.jpg

Earlier this month, Polish games outlet PolskiGamedev.pl ran a story claiming the 200-person team at Techland responsible for Dying Light 2 was stuck in a rut. Reports of in-fighting, mismanagement, and a lack of vision for the long-in-development project seemed to signal the ambitious zombie RPG was in danger.

We reached out to Techland to get their side of the story. Senior PR Manager Ola Sondej and Lead Game Designer Tymon Smektala shared their perspective in a wide-ranging interview that also touched upon rumors of a Microsoft buyout, game development during a pandemic, and more.

The Escapist: Were you aware of the PolskiGamedev.pl report before it was published?

Ola Sondej: Yes. And because we believe in transparency, we gave its author the opportunity to talk to some of our employees, so they could show a different perspective to the story presented by the anonymous sources, or even dismiss it altogether. We provided the author with a great deal of information — unfortunately, not all of it was used in the article.

dl21.jpg

Which details of the story do you specifically refute?

Sondej: The article includes many inaccuracies which we tried to rectify in the materials we provided the author with:

• Work on DL2 is chaotic and the game’s vision has changed multiple times. There is no vertical slice.
Development of Dying Light 2 is moving forward according to our internal schedule we revised at the beginning of the year.

We’ve had a Dying Light 2 vertical slice for over four years. The foundations remain the same since we have started work on production. However, the natural process for any creative work on the game is the evolution of individual components. This is dictated by factors such as optimization, improvement, or extension of some extremely promising elements.

• The Wrocław studio has fallen behind on the production and the project is currently being saved by the Warsaw office, which has stopped work on the new title.
This is not true. Techland’s main office is in Wrocław, and it is there that the team developing Dying Light 2 is working (about 200 people). The Warsaw studio is currently conducting work on our new, yet unannounced, production. Of course, we constitute one company and support each other. For example, despite the team in Warsaw being focused on their own project, a few people from the studio are partially supporting the production of Dying Light 2.

• Cooperation with Chris Avellone is not smooth. Techland redesigned and/or changed a lot of his ideas because of poor quality. There are a lot of issues between him and Adrian Ciszewski.
The game’s vision was created collectively with the cooperation of Adrian Ciszewski, Paweł Selinger, and later Chris Avellone even before we started any production work and has remained unchanged since then. Of course, iterations took place in individual aspects, which is absolutely natural in the production cycle of a video game.

Here’s Chris’ comment on the matter:

“I enjoy working on Dying Light 2, and I enjoy working with Techland. Design elements do get discussed and iterated on, and that’s a normal part of any game development process. In the end, you do the best work you can to support the gameplay and vision for the title; that’s a designer’s job.

“While Adrian Ciszewski and I discussed story, I never felt like there was any conflict. It’s normal for all design elements to be iterated on, not just narrative. Story is a key element for Dying Light 2, and it’s important to the team and I to get it right.”
  • Inappropriate behavior of the leaders.
There is no permission for this type of behavior at Techland. Everyone, without exception, is obligated to comply with our standard work regulations; we also have an anti-mobbing policy, and the HR department is in constant contact with our employees.

Because work comfort is extremely important to us, we are currently reviewing the situation from a dozen or so years ago, which the journalist had described. If the person who gave him information wants to share their opinion with us, our HR department will be happy to meet with them.

• The employee turnover at Techland.
The turnover in our company is on par with the rest of the industry. We are constantly expanding our team. Today, the headcount is almost 400 people.

• Karol Bach was employed in the company to prepare it to enter the stock market.
Karol Bach is our CFO and takes charge of the company’s finances. Today, we have no plans to enter the stock exchange, although of course we do not exclude such a possibility in the future.

• The email we had sent to our employees (the one starting with “we recently received questions from some of you on how to handle any potential unexpected media contacts…”) was a response to the work on the article.
It was just a standard email about one of our policies. It is provided to employees already on the first day of work, but we also remind them about it every few months. It does happen that people employed with us receive questions from the media. If a journalist is interested in our games (or) the company, then at Techland, as with most large companies, we have an appropriate department that has the knowledge to address all media questions. This gives us confidence that the published data is current and consistent with facts.

dl22.jpg

Which details of the story do you believe were lost in translation or reported incorrectly?

Sondej: It was a translation of bits and pieces of the article containing only comments from anonymous sources. It completely omitted responses from our employees on the various subjects mentioned in the article, including further explanations of our creative director’s (Adrian Ciszewski) role at Techland, which shed light on his achievements for the studio and the games we make. As mentioned before, the initial translation also unfairly put Chris Avellone in a bad light and suggested our relationship with him is strained, which isn’t true at all.

Which details of the story do you consider legitimate areas of concern?

Sondej: At Techland we work as a team and we grow as a team. We are proud that many of our employees have chosen to be with us for years. We believe that a great working atmosphere is the reason behind that. The mentioned article contains various opinions – from both our employees and anonymous sources. Each opinion matters to us, so we are now carefully analyzing all the topics raised.

Have any employees voiced similar concerns as to those in the story? How have those concerns been dealt with?

Sondej: We do not share with the public private opinions of our employees — those are confidential. But I can assure you that the work atmosphere is very important to us and we have multiple tools that allow us to react on the spot. Our HR department is also available to all of our employees at all times.

Where do you think the Microsoft acquisition rumors came from?

Sondej: I think some wrong dots were connected in late 2019, and it snowballed into something larger. We work with Microsoft on a regular basis since Dying Light 2 is also being developed for Xbox One, as well as PC and PlayStation 4. Perhaps someone misinterpreted our relationship.

dl23.jpg

Has Microsoft or another publisher come to you with an offer to acquire the studio? If so, why did you decline?

Sondej: We do see some interest from potential investors every now and then, but we always make it clear we are independent and will remain independent for the foreseeable future. We have no plans to enter the stock market, nor (are we) currently open to investors or potential buyers. To clarify, we were not in such talks with Microsoft.

What has been the most challenging aspect of making Dying Light 2?

Tymon Smektala: Game making is generally a far more difficult job than many people think. Until your game reaches a wide group of players and gets received well, everything is complex to be honest. For me the most challenging part was understanding that we still need some extra time to fully deliver on our ambitious vision — that we have built a very complex game that requires a lot of work in terms of polish, balancing, etc. This is a non-linear game where your decisions impact not only the story itself, but also the state of the world — and … the sandbox around you has numerous variants, and you need to test and find quality in all of them.

What’s the work-life balance like for Dying Light 2 right now? Is it better or worse than it was six months ago?

Smektala: I think it’s very good. Every half a year the company asks us how we rate different areas of our organization, and work-life balance is consistently rated with very high notes. We occasionally put in additional hours, but it’s an exception here, not a standard and it’s not obligatory. Personally I’m very focused on the topic of work-life balance, I believe good balance is extremely important in creating high-quality work, and I never myself felt that there’s something off about how we approach this topic here.

dl24.jpg

How has the virus affected the team’s workflow? Do some employees at Techland feel they work better in a work-from-home environment? Are there plans to keep people in a work-from-home environment even after the pandemic is dealt with?

Smektala: I think this is a very personal and subjective matter, and it’s hard to answer a question like that using general terms. We have work to do, we’re excited about it, so we managed to organize ourselves in those new circumstances, but it’s just something that works for some people and doesn’t for others. For me, people are Techland’s biggest wealth, and I genuinely love the people here — which is a big statement from someone who’s basically an introvert in disguise. I’ll be honest about it; I admit I miss our morning stand-ups, coffee machine chit-chat, all of those things that made me feel we’re having a great time working on a cool game.

Do you still plan to launch Dying Light 2 in 2020? Will it utilize Xbox Smart Delivery?

Smektala: There’s a whole team at Techland that works on the announcement of the release date for the game and every piece of info that accompanies it, and I know they want to surprise players, so I don’t want to spoil it for them or our community. The only thing I can say is please trust us — it’s the last stretch for this project, and we need your support.

Gerrard

Arcane
We ended our cooperation.

After Chris already did all he was supposed to do anyway, but this way we can get some free cuck points.

NPC451

Literate
This doesn't bode well for his work on the Ken Levine project. I doubt he will ever work in AAA again.

KVVRR

Learned
At least they didn't throw his work under the bus along with him

Unlike those cunts making Waylanders
They might still do it, who knows. Have we seen anything from the game other than the devs saying "it's coming guys don't worry"?

Naraya

Arcane
Guys, what is going on here? I don't follow but the drama is real. I always thought that Techland are the good guys? Then I read this and I'm not sure anymore.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom