Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Dying Light 2 Stay Human - zombie survival with choice & consequence - coming February 4th

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by zombietoads, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker

• Brofist x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    • When words are not enough x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Roguey Codex Staff Sawyerite

Roguey
    Yet again Chris wrote way too much and the people in charge of implementing it took a look, balked, and said "no."

• Rage Rage x 2
    • Despair Despair x 2
    • popamole popamole x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Tyranicon A Memory of Eternity Developer

Tyranicon
    Why would you ever hire Avellone and then just not use the majority of his stuff? The man's got to cost a pretty penny, and you might as well use his stuff wholesale because piecemeal doesn't work.

Once again writers get shafted. Avellone should just contract a bunch of Unity programmers and make his own game at this point.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Haba Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    What. Writers themselves only use their good ideas. Things get cut.

And it is supposed to be a game, not a visual novel (and even in visual novels the writing gets cut).

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Tyranicon A Memory of Eternity Developer

Tyranicon
    Lol writers don't fire themselves. IIRC, Avellone was removed from DL2 when those sexual harassments allegations (which I won't got into, but it's got its own codex thread) came out.

• incline incline x 1
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Haba Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    I thought your point was why people hire Avellone and then don't use most of the stuff he writes.

^ Top  
  7. Harthwain Magister

Harthwain
    Because the man's name became a brand in the writing department, so it was considered good for the game's image to get Avellone on board. Until the allegations started to pop up, which was the point when suddenly everybody and their mother dropped Avellone and started stating his stuff was never actually used or was in the process of being cut out. In all honesty I wouldn't be surprised if his contributions were less significant than most people thought. That said - Avellone was always keeping the record straight whenever anyone asked him about it.

^ Top  
  8. Tyranicon A Memory of Eternity Developer

Tyranicon
    Yeah, it is. The problem is we'll never know if Avellone's cut content is good or not, but it's a waste of money to hire a very famous RPG writer to work on your project, and then ditch most of it.

Judging by Avellone's tweet above, it sounds like he was the primary writer.

^ Top  
  9. vota DC Augur

vota DC
    Cut references doesn't mean cut content. A crazy aviator (no more dangerous on military side because she was already kicked off) will gut her own son if she sees Avellone's content there...too bad she is too dumb to recognize it so she will just check the game credits.

^ Top  
  10. Metro Arcane Beg Auditor

Metro
    It was mediocre at best.

• Disagree Disagree x 6
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Raghar Arcane

Raghar
    It's also waste of his time. Why spend months of effort, and then don't see a single bit from that?
    It's also why I don't wanna be employed by some czech companies, not even as consultant. They are too sharp cookies who knows the best, then in mid project they discover they fucked things.

^ Top  
  12. JackOfOwls Prophet

JackOfOwls
    I'd play it. The only thing I didn't like about the original was that if you used the mini-map, you could clearly see the game's most terrifying and formidable non-boss enemies that only came out at night spawning out of nowhere that kind of took you out of the moment. Perhaps the solution was simple - don't use the mini-map. Let's hope it's one of the things they fix, trifling as it could be.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. Old Hans Cipher

Old Hans
    well tough COOKIES, I just got you a job in Trebotav. You're gonna be folding cardboard boxes for 15 hours a day

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Cyberarmy Love fool Patron

Cyberarmy
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Yeah, only really good part was night chases but those become trivial quickly. Especially if you play co-op.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. Child of Malkav Arbiter

Child of Malkav
    I never played zombie games until DL but when I played it I realized it was something else. I can barely put into words how excited I am for DL2. They seem to have improved on every aspect from the first one. Plus the writing from Avellone, faction allegiance that alters the city a bit for gameplay purposes, larger arsenal, the kick from Dark Messiah, new zombie types, paraglider and on and on. Plus Elden Ring. Oh yeah, February will be special.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
    • Salute Salute x 2
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. BruceVC Augur

BruceVC
    Is it even a real debate about if " we going to play DL2 " of course we are because we played and loved the first game but I agree with you on the mini-map but I didnt like running into those vampires at night so I used the mini-map to avoid them and then I actively hunted them later on for loot and upgrades

But DL2 looks better than 1 on almost every level which just means " day 1 " purchase for sure :salute:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. typical user Arbiter

typical user
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Salute Salute x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker

^ Top  
  19. Alexander DeLarge Cipher

Alexander DeLarge

Haven't really followed this outside of E3 footage over the years but recent stuff from GameInformer looks way more cel-shaded than I remember and it looks really nice. Reminds me of Telltale's Walking Dead games.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Wunderbar Arcane

Wunderbar
    Don't let this fool you. Remember that other big-budget polish game that had gone gold only to be delayed again?

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Alexander DeLarge Cipher

Alexander DeLarge

• Excited! Excited! x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 2
    • Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Fargus Cipher

Fargus
    After kike punk 2020 and Techland ditching Avellone like a wasted hooker i trust a potato-man as far as i can throw one. Jebane kurwas.

That being said Dying Light 1 was a fun game to waste time with my friends in coop. And single player story missions were atmospheric and tense at times. Maybe i will pirate Dying Light 2 or buy it on sale... but no pre order or full price buy for me.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. vota DC Augur

vota DC
    But if Renegades just attack you on sight how can you side with them?

^ Top  
  24. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.