Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime E3 2014 - June 10-12th - CONCLUDED

• Thread starter A horse of course
  • Start date

Which developer will make the biggest splash at E3?

• Total voters

Boyarpunk

Hey there, fuckface-uh!
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Codex USB, 2014
Watching Giant Bomb's interview show from last night and the guy behind Halo literally said shooters are "too complicated and complex now-a-days" and that he thinks people want to go back to the "simpler days of Halo."

:retarded:

736201348.gif

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
Watching Giant Bomb's interview show from last night and the guy behind Halo literally said shooters are "too complicated and complex now-a-days" and that he thinks people want to go back to the "simpler days of Halo."

:retarded:

He probably meant that the bazillion of guns and customizations and perks and stats and unlocks and so on in COD/BF are getting too complicated.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Nintendo announced a steam-punk, turn-based strategy game Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. for 3DS.

http://www.craveonline.com/gaming/a...team-a-new-miyamoto-strategy-game-for-the-3ds

Nintendo has announced a brand new IP for the Nintendo 3DS. It's code named S.T.E.A.M., and it has the legendary Shigeru Miyamoto behind it.

S.T.E.A.M. is a huge cel-shaded turn-based strategy game that is being sold as arguably the biggest upcoming 3DS game. Players will take control of a group of units sent out by Abraham Lincoln to defend against a space invasion. These units aren't only comprised of humans, but other races as well, including a cat-like humanoid.

Its combat is inspired by action games, with a strong dose of strategy, similar to Valkyria Chronicles. In essence, you control a character in third-person, and can swap to other units in your squad. Deciding which character to control and which attacks to utilize is key to taking down enemies without suffering casualties.

Steam is a major element in the game, and nearly everything in its fictional world revolves around it, so much in-fact that it's used as the resource for turns in battle situations. Each turn you get to move around the battlefield freely to explore and set yourself up in a defensive position, or offensive attack. As long as you don't perform an action or get caught by an enemy, you can continue to navigate. Avoiding enemy confrontation when setting up isn't easy given the verticality of the maps, though.

Weapons are varied, and like the cartoon-styled pixel-art graphics are full of personality. Big weapons with bear heads attached, and even an eagle rifle can be equipped to your characters.

There are presently nine characters in the game, although more are likely. In one of the demonstrated battles only four were deployed to combat.

Nintendo specifically requested that no photos or videos be shown for now.

S.T.E.A.M. will release in 2015.

Indeed sounds like Valkyria Chronicles.

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
1. Nintendo A-
2. Sony B+
3. Ubisoft/ Microsoft (tie) B
5. EA B-
They were all decent from a consolfag point of veiw.

Athelas

Arcane
S.T.E.A.M. is a huge cel-shaded turn-based strategy game
Its combat is inspired by action games, with a strong dose of strategy, similar to Valkyria Chronicles. In essence, you control a character in third-person
The Japanese don't seem to understand turn-based strategy (as should be evident from most every jRPG ever made). Will undoubtedly have real-time/twitch elements.

Last edited:
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I imagine anyone who's ever played a decent (read: PC) fps would likely share the opinion that Far Cry 3 is shit. It's not a genre designed for consoles. What you have in Far Cry 3 is shit Ubisoft tropes (like tower climbing mini-games) mixed with the usual craptacular consolised shooting mechanics. And on top of that they fill the game with horrid dialogue and a story so bad that the writer had to claim it was ironic afterwards - http://techland.time.com/2012/12/21/far-cry-3-writer-says-critics-got-it-all-wrong/.

And yet I have been playing PC FPS games since Dark Forces, and only PC FPS games, and still loved Far Cry 3. Your assaults on it are typical Codex nostalgiawank. "Oh it has two second long tower climbing side missions!" "Oh it has a console version!" So fucking what? It also has a massive open world with strong stealth and tactical base-raiding components.

What I liked in FC 3 most, was outpost side-missions where you could LARP Rambo and play a silent killer. I wouldn't mind if there was more of that in next part. The timed events that you could start by touching the stones on the island were too good, although it was more about mixing stealth and weapons use. It even worked on my old rig with almost everything on, so I guess Ubisoft made good work.

Athelas

Arcane
The Japanese don't seem to understand turn-based strategy (as should be evident from most every jRPG ever made).

Apparently, you never played Final Fantasy Tactics, Front Mission 3, or Shining Force 3.
I've played them (with the exception of Front Mission) and I didn't think much of their combat mechanics. I never even finished FF Tactics because it bored me to tears. Besides, those games are not at all representative of turn-based jRPG's as a whole - most of them follow the very simplistic 'attack/magic/item/guard' model.

It's also a matter of context. There must have been a billion turn-based jRPG's released from the SNES onwards - and they're still being released today. How many turn-based western games are there? A few dozen maybe, yet they show better and more interesting design despite never enjoying the potential for evolution that jRPG's had.

Last edited:

deuxhero

Arcane
Nintendo casually confirmed there are a new Fire Emblem and Advance Wars in development last night (and thate FEXSMT and all it's "why" isn't canceled).

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
I wouldn't trust the turn-based jRPG expertise of someone that didn't even finish FFT because he got bored...

Only retards get bored of FFT before finishing it. Probably got butt raped by Dorter Trade City battle.

I on the other hand have a save file with every unquie character leveled to 99 along with some extras leveled to 99. The power of the aspie is strong with me.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Then you have guys like Ken Levine that can only evoke a strong will to punch them in the face.

OB-SQ254_levine_DV_20120418143526.jpg

System Shock: Rebirth coming soon exclusively to Xboner.

"It's the System Shock I always wanted to make, and for the first time, with the power of the Xbox One I can make it happen."

Kattze

Andhaira
Andhaira
Its combat is inspired by action games, with a strong dose of strategy, similar to Valkyria Chronicles. In essence, you control a character in third-person
The Japanese don't seem to understand turn-based strategy (as should be evident from most every jRPG ever made). Will undoubtedly have real-time/twitch elements.
Valkyria Chronicles is pretty good though.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
"I think we have a very unique take on strategy genre".

Heh, only for those that never played Valkyria Chronicles...

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Good to see they are still making games for the Gamecube

Oh it's a 3DS title.

Last edited:

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
I think that by now the Japanese are the only ones who understand turn-based strategy, faggot.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I think by now that the Japanese are the only ones who understand turn-based strategy, faggot.
Yet they talk as if overwatch is a new and exciting feature lmao

Tytus

Arcane
I think by now that the Japanese are the only ones who understand turn-based strategy, faggot.
Yet they talk as if overwatch is a new and exciting feature lmao

It is to them. They are finally cathing up with the early 90s.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom