Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

EA working on new Syndicate

Fenril

Scholar
I never heard of a Populous 3, I kinda liked 2. Oh and dungeon keeper 2 was ok imho.

Noceur

Liturgist
What makes you guys think that EA's making a new Syndicate game? If I know those suits right, they're reanimating soldiers and preparing to take over Ubisoft by force (since the French government slapped their fingers when they tried to legally take it over).

Disconnected

Scholar
Ratty said:
That said, if they introduce first-person view or make the environments indestructible, I'm going to Uppsala with a suitcase nuke.
What does blowing up the ass-end of Sweden have to do with anything?

Fenril said:
I never heard of a Populous 3, I kinda liked 2. Oh and dungeon keeper 2 was ok imho.
Agreed. And Pop3 was fun. Sort of like Black & White 2, but with all the tedious shit removed & gameplay added.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm not sure if I should be optimistic about this, or outright pessimistic as with Bethout. I really want to be optimistic, though I'll probably just get my hopes up so EA can crush them mercilessly.

Ratty said:
That said, if they introduce first-person view or make the environments indestructible, I'm going to Uppsala with a suitcase nuke.
Eh, I don't recall environments in Syndicate being destructible. That was introduced in Wars iirc, and while I enjoyed Wars, there is only one true Syndicate for me, and it's called Syndicate.
I did think about what a new Syndicate could look like, and I have to admit first and third person views have crossed my mind. I wouldn't want to ditch eagle-eye for it, but I wouldn't scoff at some solo missions.

Personally, I feel deeper and more detailed world simulation and more realism would be interesting. For instance, I'd rather the persuadatron used a different mechanic than having to persuade xyz normal people before being able to persuade guards, police and eventually enemy cyborgs. Maybe an optional part of a mission could be obtaining information that allows easier persuasion of guards or even infiltrating the police so they won't get in your way or even inciting a revolt to distract from your actions.
Those are just some ideas, I've never settled for a definite vision of how I'd like a new Syndicate to be, I just feel it should be more than Syndicate with next-gen graphics.

Ratty

Scholar
Disconnected said:
What does blowing up the ass-end of Sweden have to do with anything?
It is a wretched hive of scum and villany.

Plus, that's where Starbreeze Studios is located.

Fenril said:
Agreed. And Pop3 was fun. Sort of like Black & White 2, but with all the tedious shit removed & gameplay added.
All I recall of Populous 3 is that it was less of a god-game and more of a generic RTS, albeit with a tiny number of units and taking place on odd Little Prince-like worlds. Entertaining, but forgettable.

I found DK2 to be a major disappointment, with no clear improvements over the predecessor and quite a few questionable changes. I also thought it was a bit too easy, though I didn't bother playing very far, so my perception may be wrong.

Eh, I don't recall environments in Syndicate being destructible. That was introduced in Wars iirc, and while I enjoyed Wars, there is only one true Syndicate for me, and it's called Syndicate.
I must admit I prefer SW over the original Syndicate. For some reason I really dig the darker, Blader Runner-esque atmosphere, crazed techno-cultists and ridiculously powerful weapons. Suitcase nukes, man.

Kaiserin

Liturgist
All I recall of Populous 3 is that it was less of a god-game and more of a generic RTS, albeit with a tiny number of units and taking place on odd Little Prince-like worlds. Entertaining, but forgettable.
Generic?!!? Eh, you gained units by first building houses, which you then had to garrison base villager units into, which then sped up a timer which would spit out a single villager, as well as making another timer to upgrade(which improved the size of the hut and amount of villagers you could garrison). You then had to turn villagers into stuff by sending them to a specialized hut where they were trained. Combat was very believable and impressive at the time, units didn't stand in one spot and exchange blows, building's burned(which would cause units garrisoned inside to run out on fire in many cases), units could disguise themselves, convert other villagers by holding sermons, it had a lot of interesting spells... god that game was anything BUT generic.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Ratty said:
I must admit I prefer SW over the original Syndicate. For some reason I really dig the darker, Blader Runner-esque atmosphere, crazed techno-cultists and ridiculously powerful weapons. Suitcase nukes, man.
Darker? It was blue. Syndicate has a bloody dark atmosphere, despite being more yellow. I greatly preferred the graphics in Syndicate.
Also, demolishing buildings had a habit of crashing the game for me, which spoiled the fun a little. Otherwise I'd have made a habit of flattening the entire battlefie.d I think I tried a few times anyway. There are alot of neat ideas in Wars, but ultimately I found Syndicate to be superior.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Claw said:
There are alot of neat ideas in Wars, but ultimately I found Syndicate to be superior.
especially with american revolt.
oh, how i <s>love</s> <s>hate</s> am <u>totally indifferent</u> towards that add-on, which ruined my social life for weeks.

MisterStone

Arcane
I played populous 3 for a little bit. I seem to recall that it wasn't too bad, but the gameplay was kind of spamsy... it's been a while, so I can't remember the details, but it seemed like a lot of the challenges presented in each level could be overcome by rush tactics/cheesy gameplay.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Ratty said:
Dungeon Keeper 2

DK2 wasn't that bad. It was basically just a rehash of DK with a sandbox mode and the "The monster hates that monster" stuff removed. I would have liked the monster hatred thing kept for DK2, but given that list... I don't think DK2 belongs in there beside Populous 3 and Ultima 9.

Nedrah

Erudite
Saint_Proverbius said:
Ratty said:
Dungeon Keeper 2

DK2 wasn't that bad. It was basically just a rehash of DK with a sandbox mode and the "The monster hates that monster" stuff removed. I would have liked the monster hatred thing kept for DK2, but given that list... I don't think DK2 belongs in there beside Populous 3 and Ultima 9.

DK2 would have been a great game if they had cut out the puzzle stuff in favor of a more sim orienter approach. That being said, it's still an extremely well done game. I'd definitely pay a few bucks if it was released on steam or somewhere similar, made to run perfectly on a modern system. Now, some multiplayer thrown in - as in, two dungeonkeepers duking it out - well, I'd pay full prize for that one!

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
DK2 did have multiplayer, as in two to four keepers going after one another or even 2v2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom