Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

EA's Inferno will have moral choices!

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
http://kotaku.com/5339855/ea-gamescom-2 ... r-liveblog
McWhertor: We're also getting a new gameplay mechanic, Righteousness. Which certainly sounds like Dante's Inferno's take on the popular mortality system that every game has. Your player will be able to level up as either "Righteous" or "Unholy". Dante has the option of choosing, at some point, whether Emperor Frederick II should be spared for Righteousness and slaughtered in an Unholy fashion. The same mechanic extends to certain finishing moves. That righteousness will affect the leveling up of your holy cross, your unholiness leveing up your scythe.
:headdesk:

L'ennui

Magister
This piece of thrash is becoming more and more degrading and litteraturenerdrage-worthy every time EA tries to hype it.

Hopefully some far-removed italian descendant of Dante will bomb their studio before the game comes out, mafia style.

Black Cat

Magister
@Topic.

"That righteousness will affect the leveling up of your holy cross"

I can't wait for this game to ship so i can read about it on Christian game review sites.

This...this is actually shaping up to be the worst AAA game ever made. It's like they've gone 'Man, FO3 really raped the FO lore pretty hard, but I think we can go better. Why stop at screwing over and completely contradicting and exploiting a classic GAME, when we can chain-rape the corpse of one the great pieces of European literature, no European ART, of all time!'

If I was the Chinese government, I'd be busily claiming IP rights over every single classic work of art and literature China has ever produced, with a threat of nukes against anyone who infringes it.Because at some stage you just know that we're going to see 'Confucious, the sage of RAGE!', and it isn't going to be pretty:-(

L'ennui said:
This piece of thrash is becoming more and more degrading and litteraturenerdrage-worthy every time EA tries to hype it.

Hopefully some far-removed italian descendant of Dante will bomb their studio before the game comes out, mafia style.

Hmmmm....I've heard of psychiatric patients who, enraged at the Mental Health Review Board for rejecting their appeal against involuntary psychiatric treatment, have successfully posted letters/packages to the review board members, containing their faeces. From what I gather, the trick to getting through postal security is to wipe your ass on something, preferably an A4 page, but toilet paper has worked, and then send that through, rather than trying to smuggle an entire turd in an envelope. I'm guessing the A4 page would have the further benefit of some chance of tricking the recipient into touching the page before they realised what they'd done.

Anyone up for a mass letter-writting campaign to EA?

baronjohn

Cipher
Oh no some batshit insane religious rant we've all only know about from failpedia is being turned into a gaem

lets all show off our literary erudition by pretending to be superangry at the publisher.

fags.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
*DANTE USES ULTRA FINISHING MOVE ON ARISTOTLE, LEVELLING HIS UNHOLY SCYTHE*

Hell geah baby. :cool:

FFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

See, I don't get why they're making this game. The only thing it has to do with the Divine Comedy is that there's a guy named Dante, a guy named Virgil, and they go to hell. I mean...Devil May Cry does that too, and it doesn't claim to be anything more than making passing references to it.

And I really wouldn't care if this game was getting made if it looked like a good action game....but it looks like a God of War clone, straight down to the QTEs, helpless enemies, and focus on flash over substance.

Also, why are the developers trying to cloak a game mechanic choice (upgrades) in moral choices?

Edward_R_Murrow said:
Also, why are the developers trying to cloak a game mechanic choice (upgrades) in moral choices?

So they can label it "mature" later. "Mature" sells these days.
Or.. maybe not. "Moral choices" may become a new buzz-term on it's own. Feel-good campaign for current-gen gamers? Playing a stupid action game that has "moral choices" might make that activity look more meaningful than it is.
With all that being said, I'm looking forward to this game, it might actually be fun.

MisterStone

Arcane
Azrael the cat said:
This...this is actually shaping up to be the worst AAA game ever made. It's like they've gone 'Man, FO3 really raped the FO lore pretty hard, but I think we can go better. Why stop at screwing over and completely contradicting and exploiting a classic GAME, when we can chain-rape the corpse of one the great pieces of European literature, no European ART, of all time!'

If I was the Chinese government, I'd be busily claiming IP rights over every single classic work of art and literature China has ever produced, with a threat of nukes against anyone who infringes it.Because at some stage you just know that we're going to see 'Confucious, the sage of RAGE!', and it isn't going to be pretty:-(

Basically every single notable piece of Chinese narrative fiction has been hashed over hundreds of times, both in previous centuries and the modern times. That includes shitty TV shows, shitty MMOs, shitty movies, shitty novelizations... and yet they haven't died from butthurt yet.

L'ennui

Magister
MisterStone said:
Azrael the cat said:

Basically every single notable piece of Chinese narrative fiction has been hashed over hundreds of times, both in previous centuries and the modern times. That includes shitty TV shows, shitty MMOs, shitty movies, shitty novelizations... and yet they haven't died from butthurt yet.

China has yet to face EA and it's legions of asstards.

Hory

Erudite
They should make "righteous" or "unholy" deal bonus magic damage to appeal to the mathddicts.

Derek Larp

Cipher
Edward_R_Murrow said:
See, I don't get why they're making this game. The only thing it has to do with the Divine Comedy is that there's a guy named Dante, a guy named Virgil, and they go to hell. I mean...Devil May Cry does that too, and it doesn't claim to be anything more than making passing references to it.

Yeah I wonder too, considering their target group has probably never even heard of the Divine Comedy before.

Maybe they did it so they can say 'We´re trying to get kids interested in the great works of literature'.

This game was already the joke of the industry (bad handling of material, horrible attention-grabbing antics, hokey look to the game itself), did they really need to make themselves look worse?

Kz3r0

Arcane
baronjohn said:
Oh no some batshit insane religious rant we've all only know about from failpedia is being turned into a gaem

lets all show off our literary erudition by pretending to be superangry at the publisher.

fags.
Stop to eat shit, is no good for your brain.

MisterStone said:
Azrael the cat said:

Some 'might' consider the Cultural Revolution a bad case of 'butthurt'. Not to mention that in Mao's act of cultural cleansing, 500,000 people DID die in just 3 years from said 'butthurt'.

Derek Larp said:
Edward_R_Murrow said:

Yeah I wonder too, considering their target group has probably never even heard of the Divine Comedy before.

Maybe they did it so they can say 'We´re trying to get kids interested in the great works of literature'.

I suspect it didn't even go that far.

Someone mentioned 'Bioshock sure seemed to get good publicity out of that Ayn Rand thing, what's up with that?' [looks around, no-one in EA has read, or heard of, Ayn Rand]. Eventually someone else puts their hand up and goes 'Umm...I THINK she wrote the 5th Harry Potter book. That's where they got the idea of flames and lightning coming out of the player's hands. I think.'

Then someone else went 'I know, why don't WE reference a classic piece of literature, so that we can get free publicity too! Hmmm....what about that film about the volcano...DANTE'S PEAK! That was AWESOME! Let's base our game on that! Quick....look up on the internet who owns the rights.'

[Other guy googles 'Dante', then says:] 'Hmm....a whole bunch of links come up for something called 'Inferno'. That must be the book that Dante's Peak was based on. I don't think any of us are going to want to read something that long, what with reading being outdated ever since Oblivion showed us how to tell stories visually, but it also mentions another guy named Virgil, and there's a link to a much shorter adaptation by some Dr Notes guy, ah yes...Cliff must be his first name. Let's just use the Cliff Notes version, throw in the characters Dante and Virgil, call it Inferno and then we can have a great adaptation of Dante's Peak!'

Aradesh

Novice
Azrael the cat said:
Derek Larp said:
Edward_R_Murrow said:

I suspect it didn't even go that far. Someone mentioned 'Bioshock sure seemed to get good publicity out of that Ayn Rand thing, what's up with that?' [looks around, no-one in EA has read, or heard of, Ayn Rand]. Eventually someone else puts their hand up and goes 'Umm...I THINK she wrote the 5th Harry Potter book. That's where they got the idea of flames and lightning coming out of the player's hands. I think.' Then someone else went 'I know, why don't WE reference a classic piece of literature, so that we can get free publicity too! Hmmm....what about that film about the volcano...DANTE'S PEAK! That was AWESOME! Let's base our game on that! Quick....look up on the internet who owns the rights.' [Other guy googles 'Dante', then says:] 'Hmm....a whole bunch of links come up for something called 'Inferno'. That must be the book that Dante's Peak was based on. I don't think any of us are going to want to read something that long, what with reading being outdated ever since Oblivion showed us how to tell stories visually, but it also mentions another guy named Virgil, and there's a link to a much shorter adaptation by some Dr Notes guy, ah yes...Cliff must be his first name. Let's just use the Cliff Notes version, throw in the characters Dante and Virgil, call it Inferno and then we can have a great adaptation of Dante's Peak!'

Has too many words of more than one syllable.

Zomg

Arbiter
MisterStone said:

Fuck you for undercutting my poorly articulated hatred with a valid point.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
I'm too busy LOL'ing to nerdrage.

I'm not a very good lit student. :(

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom