Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

easing the learning curve

thathmew

Zero Sum Software
Developer
ok, I'm working on some ways to ease the initial learning curve for the game and would like some feedback.
right now the
1) I'm going to provide the party with a very easy combat much earlier via a scripted event which will also involve a definitive choice to let the player know that such choices matter and make a difference

2) I'd thinking about possibly adding an <ask for advice> option to at least some of the characters in Kellen, particularly the merchants which would give some advice on armor/weapons to purchase and possibly some tactics when appropriate without breaking character.

Thoughts?
Anyone have other ideas short of adding an atual tutorial? :D

cheers,
-mat

Kyminara

Novice
1) I'm going to provide the party with a very easy combat much earlier via a scripted event which will also involve a definitive choice to let the player know that such choices matter and make a difference

Sounds great, but can we have more details? Is it before or after the talk with the Watcher? How will it affect the rest of the game?

2) I'd thinking about possibly adding an <ask for advice> option to at least some of the characters in Kellen, particularly the merchants which would give some advice on armor/weapons to purchase and possibly some tactics when appropriate without breaking character.

I think this is a great idea, as long as you can do it without making the people act out of character. You might also want someone to mention how well a good or bad reputation could spread.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
As long as it's done without looking like a tutorial. I hate it when game developers hold my hands and try to make things easier for me.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I'm working on some ways to ease the initial learning curve for the game

I thought the game controls were very simple. When you start the game, you learn the compass functions very quickly, just by playing with all inteface controls.

The novelty combat was difficult though. May be it was a bug, but I could not make my party members fight all at the same time. I had to do it one character at a time, then another, and so on. It was like.... they were taking turns... Oh my god, was it a turn-based combat I keep hearing about it :shock: Sorry, could not resist :lol:

Seriously though, I think the game is very straight forward. I downloaded it and started playing right away.

merchants which would give some advice on armor/weapons to purchase

What do you mean? What kinda help a player need? When you roll a char there are skills to pick, so if you pick a sword, you buy a sword. Then take it from there. Well, come to think about it, I picked my own characters, so I had a chance to get familiar with attributes and skills and figure out how they affect the gameplay, so may be you need to provide some info for those who go with premade party.

As long as it's done without looking like a tutorial. I hate it when game developers hold my hands and try to make things easier for me.

Agree, no holding hands please.

crpgnut

Augur
Mat, I'm not playing the game anymore but I still plan on keeping tabs on you guys. I may come back and finish Prelude after a break. My suggestion would be to have the guardian character give the combat instructions. This guy is a retired guardian and
he just might be itching to show these new guys some combat tips. He would seem to
be the most logical person in Kellen. Another idea would be for one of the guards protecting the Watcher to stop you on the way out. It could be part of the beginning scripted event. Just my 2¢. Believe it or not, I've gone way back in time and am playing
Knights of Legend! After playing Prelude, I had an itch to play another game with a great combat engine. I love KOL for that aspect, but the game crashed constantly back when it came out. It runs perfect on XP though. No sound whatsoever though, so I downloaded all the Ultima IV midis and am listening to those as I play. Talk about retro :)

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
crpgnut said:
Mat, I'm not playing the game anymore but I still plan on keeping tabs on you guys. I may come back and finish Prelude after a break. My suggestion would be to have the guardian character give the combat instructions. This guy is a retired guardian and
he just might be itching to show these new guys some combat tips. He would seem to
be the most logical person in Kellen.

As long as it's not like NWN where he refers to the user interface of the game. I hate it when games do that. "Would you like a lesson in fighting? First, take your mouse..." Ugh. That drives me nuts.

crpgnut

Augur
Saint_Proverbius said:
As long as it's not like NWN where he refers to the user interface of the game. I hate it when games do that. "Would you like a lesson in fighting? First, take your mouse..." Ugh. That drives me nuts.

Agreed SP! Talk about killing the immersion. I never had the misfortune to play NWN because I heard that the single player game wasn't that great. I might be interested in some of the user mods however. I'm thinking about tackling the rest of Prelude this weekend. I want to see how the later combats work out. Knights of Legend has an awesome combat engine. Unfortunately, that's about all there is to the game.

thathmew

Zero Sum Software
Developer
yeah Knights of Legend did have a great system. Ah the memories. It's too bad they never expanded it like planned.

And rest assured no characters will break the fourth wall in Prelude.

-m

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom