Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editing character creation, also question about version difference

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'd like to change the amount of stat and skill points you can assign at character creation for experimental ( :M) reasons. Anyone know how to do that? Should be fairly easy, just edit the file that determines it, I guess.

Also, I wonder what's the difference between version 1.7 and version 1.8
I often read that 1.7 is more stable than 1.8, so what are the actual differences? Is there a changelog anywhere? Would I miss out on anything that has been added in 1.8 if I go with 1.7?

Thanks.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
I'd like to change the amount of stat and skill points you can assign at character creation for experimental ( :M) reasons. Anyone know how to do that? Should be fairly easy, just edit the file that determines it, I guess.
It's not fairly easy. Starting amount of SP in the .exe, for sure. Just open file people.txt with any text editor, find string (#Hyric# and edit these strings slightly below:
(!Hello!
(removeall)
(if (flag ^SolvedJactusMurder^)

Add a new string (callscript [GiveXP] 20), now script looks like this:
(!Hello!
(callscript [GiveXP] 20)
(removeall)
(if (flag ^SolvedJactusMurder^)

Now any time you will speak to Hyric (she in the starting tavern) and say "Hello" to her, you'll gain 20 skill points.

Also, I wonder what's the difference between version 1.7 and version 1.8
I often read that 1.7 is more stable than 1.8, so what are the actual differences? Is there a changelog anywhere?
Never saw one. 1.8 is finishable, for sure. Also it really slower than 1.2. Perhaps, because of revamping of program parts to add 1024x768. Fucking graphic whores. :lol:
For example, 1.8 is unplayable on my computer now, although 1.2, 1.35 and 1.5 work fine. Probably I switched video cards, can't remember, because I played 1.8 several years ago.
Would I miss out on anything that has been added in 1.8 if I go with 1.7?
Thanks.
Probably, shitton of script fixes. Like buggy Novacula blessing and whatnot.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
JarlFrank
Fowyr said:
Probably, shitton of script fixes. Like buggy Novacula blessing and whatnot.
I compared all 1.7 and 1.8 scripts. There is only a one difference - corrected typo in quest list. :lol:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Oh. So, playing the supposedly more stable 1.7 version wouldn't make me miss out on anything. Hm. Oh well, I already started with 1.8 and besides a few crashes I haven't had too many problems.

Severian Silk

The crashes are annoying, but I never encountered a game breaking bug.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom