Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

EGM Article Restores a Bit of Hope in Deus Ex:HR

From the Jan 11 issue;

Not only must the team allow for players of different methodologies, it must allow players to move between these paths on the fly, and embrace the fact that many players will simply not see much of the content that the team's slaving to create.

:incline: so far.

"Most of us worked on games where players would see the entire experience," says Dugas. "In Montreal, at least, there's a lot of this way of thinking, that if we build it people need to see it. And with Deus Ex it's not about seeing everything-it's about having your own experience."

So someone's relearned a valuable old school lesson.

But here's the most interesting bit

The second scenario I checked out involved Jensen attempting to obtain a piece of technology from a body housed in a Detroit police morgue. Initially, my guide takes a stealthy approach, knowing out a guard, and then dragging his body to the morgue and using it to trick the security scanners to let him in. A second playthrough makes use of brute force, as Jensen blasts his way through the station to retrieve the item, dozens of bodies left in his wake.

Ah, the typical-

The next approach, though, was perhaps the most interesting: By bringing up some rather affecting memories to the cop at the front desk and navigating through some tricky branching dialogue trees, Jensen gained free access to the morgue, getting what he came for with nary a bullet fired. And all of this was but a tip of the iceberg: Puzzle afficionados can choose to break in through a puzzle game-like hacking interface, and explorers can use the underground sewer system to get inside. Should you want to switch up your tactics mid-stride, of course, you are free to do so.

Soo...opinions?

Oesophagus

Arcane
"Most of us worked on games where players would see the entire experience," says Dugas. "In Montreal, at least, there's a lot of this way of thinking, that if we build it people need to see it. And with Deus Ex it's not about seeing everything-it's about having your own experience."

This is promising. Not enough to make me believe it won't be popamole but just maybe it'll have some of the DX feel

torpid

Liturgist
Sounds nice, but I hope that this isn't the one well thought out set piece that they show to all the game journos while the rest of the game is pure popamole.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
sounds nice and if done right it could be great, but you know how this normally ends.

oscar

Arcane
"Tricky dialogue tree" sounds a great change from recent "three responses, the same result" style conversations.

Epsilon

Cipher
This kind of stuff is just to shutup fans of the original, you'll see once it releases there might be one occurance where this is possible, the one described, and the rest will be popamole.
And if by a cosmic accident I'm wrong and it turns out that this kind of stuff is littered throughout the game, the next one won't have it as "people weren't doing that or seeing that."
Remember the platforms it's being made for, 2 are consoles.

Dire Roach

Prophet
Epsilon said:
This kind of stuff is just to shutup fans of the original, you'll see once it releases there might be one occurance where this is possible, the one described, and the rest will be popamole.
And if by a cosmic accident I'm wrong and it turns out that this kind of stuff is littered throughout the game, the next one won't have it as "people weren't doing that or seeing that."
This. I'm reminded of those Oblivion demos that showcased one specific quest that was well done.

Dire Roach said:
Epsilon said:
This. I'm reminded of those Oblivion demos that showcased one specific quest that was well done.
++++

Current facts: Popamole gameplay, Minigames, Boss fights, Stealthkills cutscenes, Regenerative Health Implant
vs
Dialogue trees, Stealth approach

Destroid

Arcane
You would think dev studios would implement more of these - they use them to hype games, so clearly features like this are wanted by gamers.

RatFink

Educated
nah...this is not realy wanted by gamers...this is used by gamers to say their game FUCKIN RULEZ DUDE!!!

gamers want insta win blasting your way trough everything by the push of a single button, but as soon as someone says.."fuck you! this game sucks! you cant do shit in this railroad piece of shit game!"
the answer is.."NO! ARE YOU STOOPID?? YOU CAN TOTALLY DO COOL STUFF DIFFERENTLY, (..although one never does because the easy way is to get out your ARM BLADES and kill everything on and off screen by pressing x!1!!!111)"

Oesophagus

Arcane
You would think dev studios would implement more of these - they use them to hype games, so clearly features like this are wanted by gamers.

They require effort.
And besides let's not forget that all devs are mean bullies who first show us some nice screens, features, and promise potato, and just as our hopes are up they hit us with "I'm looking for my father, middle aged guy, maybe you've seen him?"

Achilles

Arcane
I really hope what they're saying are true. Who knows, maybe we'll finally get a semi-worthy sequel to Deus Ex.

Not only must the team allow for players of different methodologies, it must allow players to move between these paths on the fly, and embrace the fact that many players will simply not see much of the content that the team's slaving to create.

Translation: There will be an achievement for fully loading yourself with stealth mods and fully loading yourself with combat mods. You will have to play twice to get both of them.

oscar said:
"Tricky dialogue tree" sounds a great change from recent "three responses, the same result" style conversations.

Except that the article writer didn't actually go through the dialog multiple times to see if different choices have a different outcome (and I'm pretty sure no mainstream reviewer has in the last decade, ever). Bioware choices seem like they should have completely different outcomes until you try them and realize its all the same shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom