Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes - From Suikoden creators

Discussion in 'jRPG Weeaboo Discussion' started by Kem0sabe, Jul 24, 2020.

1. Kem0sabe Arcane

Kem0sabe
    [​IMG]

Suikoden creators announce RPG Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes for PS5, Xbox Series X, Switch, and PC

Kickstarter - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rabbitandbearstudios/eiyuden-chronicle-hundred-heroes

[​IMG]

Game overview:

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
    • Brofist x 14
    • incline x 8
    • Excited! x 3
    • Friendly x 2
    • Hoo x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Viata Arcane

Viata
    Looks nice.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Zyondyne Educated

Zyondyne
    Initially, I was really happy to read that Suikoden creators are making a spiritual successor after so, so many years. Suikoden is one of those series I never hoped to ever resurface.

But honestly, this looks a lot like Octopath and less like Suikoden. And Octopath was pretty bland.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Deflowerer Arcane

Deflowerer
    :hype:

• incline incline x 2
    • Excited! Excited! x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. Kem0sabe Arcane

Kem0sabe
    I think the blandness of octopath was mainly the fault of the story and how they failed to develop the characters, visually it was a masterpiece.

If they can pull the aesthetics they show on the small teaser trailer and screenshots, but with a suikoden influenced story, heavy on politics and intrigue, then I'm happy.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. deuxhero Arcane

deuxhero
    This looks nea...
    Meh

• Despair Despair x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. Terra Savant

Terra
    I'm gonna need more than "Suikoden creators" to go on after the charlatan KS campaigns of Unsung Story & Project Phoenix. Having read through who is involved, I'm interested, but we haven't really seen any JRPG success stores from KS in the same way CRPGs have succeeded. I'm suppose I'm waiting with bated breath.

Looks very nice though, reminds me of Suiko 5 with splashes of Octopath and Unlimited Saga mixed in.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Shinji Learned

Shinji
    Looks promising

See in you in 5 years

• Funny x 4
    • Despair x 2
    • Cheers!! x 1
    • Slam dunk! x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. abnaxus Arcane Patron

abnaxus
    Where's my Viki

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. SerratedBiz Arcane

SerratedBiz
    Fuck the haters, you had me at Suikoden. :desu:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. Thac0 Hopeless Optimist Patron

Thac0
    Purely Tokyo based company and not some borderline fraudulent bullshit of a mediocre card game developer using name and direction from a few persons like with Unsung Story. Cautiously optimistic this will actually release, and if it does we will all dine in incline.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Hobo Elf Arcane

Hobo Elf
    Looks neat. Hopefully it's not a scam, and hopefully this time they'll add some actual challenge because holy shit the Suikodens were so easy they put me right to sleep.

^ Top  
  13. Deflowerer Arcane

Deflowerer
    Doubt it, making it easy was a conscious decision of Murayama.

• :( :( x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Häyhä Educated

Häyhä
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Excited! Excited! x 11
    • incline incline x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. InD_ImaginE Arcane Patron

InD_ImaginE
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    There is some Suikoden 2 vibe from the main characters art.

Heck if they can at least mimic Suikoden 2 then I am good. Suikoden V was the best PS2 Suikoden (and IMO 2nd best Suikoden after II) and that's because it borrows heavily from Suikoden II and Suikoden I somewhat.

• Agree Agree x 4
    ^ Top  
  16. Rahdulan Arcane Patron

Rahdulan
    Glad they're sticking to "protagonist going against the cliche MC weapon" theme going on. I'm kinda split on the visual style, though.

• Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Terra Savant

Terra
    Was just reading the various interviews with Murayama and it's good to know there are SJW Village elders on hand at this early stage to nag about problematic representations of such and such in this spiritual successor to the game they never played. https://www.siliconera.com/yoshitaka-murayama-talks-about-eiyuden-chronicle-and-its-kickstarter/

Comments section was of course closed posthaste for wrongthink. Absolutely disgusting that these scum seek to poison the well at every conceivable opportunity.

• honk honk! honk honk! x 2
    • Disgusting! Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. InD_ImaginE Arcane Patron

InD_ImaginE
    On one hand, it is waste of a question. On the other hand eh, the initial response was quite OK (simply saying it is only 2 out of 10 questions or some sort). But I guess the mod is just tired of that shit and lock it down.

In general Siliconera comment section is quite similar to the Codex regarding political view, especially for Japanese content (namely worried about current western retarded culture war to infect Japanese media) so the outrage is somewhat expected tbh.

In general, it catches 22 situations. More Japanese made content are coming to the west than ever (some due to the western market more accepting to it, some due to the fact that domestic gaming market in JP is dominated with low cost high profit mobage), but as Japanese done so the conservatism of Japanese society is exposed and result in outrage in the west. To survive, Japanese companies will sooner or later need to make adjustment except for companies that either has a very strong following (ATLUS, even then the localizer might still change stuff like P5R) or is very niche to begin with.

^ Top  
  19. Clockwork Knight Arcane

Clockwork Knight
    The interview's reception on twitter wasn't good either.

nichegamer's interview, to cleanse the palate: https://nichegamer.com/2020/07/25/yoshitaka-murayama-eiyuden-chronicle-hundred-heroes-interview/

• incline incline x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Rahdulan Arcane Patron

Rahdulan
    Heh, comments are closed now.

• Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Smoker Educated

Smoker
    Viki will probably in it as a joke.

^ Top  
  22. Thac0 Hopeless Optimist Patron

Thac0
    [​IMG]

:prosper:

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 3
    ^ Top  
  23. Thac0 Hopeless Optimist Patron

Thac0
    Or they just dont give a fuck? Domestic culture should not bend to the pressures of the global market, that homogenisation is one of the downsides of Globalisation.
    Up to now the Nippon still make a lot more money from their domestic market, so risking that to chase the big dollar on the global market has only been done successfully by FF so far. Also those who play JRPGs in the west are also usually those with an open enough mind to accept that Japan has a very different cultural origin not based on abrahamitic religions, and as such as a very different set of core values, derived from Confucianism, Buddhism and Shinto. IE people who buy JRPGs dont give a fuck about SJW dribble.
    Japan pandering to the American outrage culture Britain style would be a nightmare.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. Smoker Educated

Smoker
    Seeing favorite food as a stat makes me think the iron chef mini game is coming back

• incline incline x 2
    ^ Top  
  25. InD_ImaginE Arcane Patron

InD_ImaginE
    Well if they want to sell shit on a global scale then they really got no choice, especially for smaller studios. Especially those that need crowdfunding. Now there are some leeway given to Japanese company because even SJW understand that the standard is not really the same globally, but when you are designing the game around hot western topic (e.g. having black people in case of this game) these studios are inviting these kinds of problems. The easiest cop-out is just to avoid these topic altogether.

Correct, but that's not the case anymore. Domestic Japanese console game market condition is not really great these days, forcing companies to actually consider western release for their game.

You really underestimate the number of left-leaning Japanese media consumers. I guess it is Twitter left bias, but if care enough to follow a lot of people working in the localization industry, a lot of them are young people with a social university degree, and a significant number of them are left-leaning. While not all of them are retarded SJW level, they also not the moderate-conservatives that stay silent at everything. There will be controversies in that target group. They also happen to gravitate to more "serious" JRPG series which in general are considered good JRPG. On the contrary, the JRPG target market which is fully conservative would be the fan-service heavy ones which is true that most of them don't give a fuck.

I don't disagree with you. I just point out that as Japanese companies are bringing more and more their product to the west, there will be some expectation to them. Bigger studios can probably shrug things off, but smaller studios will have to make compromises (or just avoid the topic all together). And even if the parent companies don't care (like ATLUS), the western subsidiaries do like in case of P5R.

• It's a matter of time It's a matter of time x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.