Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elden Ring Critique(s)

Ivan

Arcane
Since most text on the thread is about recent player experiences, I figure this would be a cool space for those to reflect on the strengths/weaknesses of this entry. I'm going to be revisiting and revising my thoughts while I was at the 60 hour mark (had just reached the capital) to my current thoughts at hour 90+ after the H.L. fight (not sure if I have the stomach for Manelia before I roll credits).

Elden Ring is my third favorite FromSoftware title (Blooborne and Sekiro being my top 2 respectively). When taking a step back and taking in the scope of the game, it's clear that in Elden Ring FromSoftware have created an odyssey. It is staggering just how much content there is in the game. Also, it stays true to the virtues of its previous titles of letting the player move at their own pace, deduce the story how they see fit, and bother you as little as possible in your adventure. I remember folks at the codex crying foul when we first learned that the checkpoints would have trails of light pointing toward "objectives," I'm glad to say that this is probably the only hand-holding the game does. I'm beyond impressed by how much of the game is optional/missable.

Now let's ruminate over what the game excels at and where it falls short, starting with the inclusion of the open world/overworld:

-the game is divided into distinct zones where one of the game's demigods (VIP bosses) reside. Visually, each has its own distinct color palette and geography. When I think of Liurnia I think of its blues and water, Limgrave brings images of wide open grassy spaces, Altus Plateau brings to mind regal gold. The open world does a wonderful job of piquing your curiosity. Very often will I have destination A in mind, when all-of-a-sudden I glimpse destinations B, C, and D off in the distance and my plans immediately change. More often than not, my curiosity was paid in full with something new to discover, ranging from a less exciting overworld combat encounter, to a completely new interior to explore. I often felt that the overworld traversal was much like an escalator that funneled me along toward these different pockets of the handcrafted pockets of level design we've come to know and love from FromSoftware. It's impressive that all of the caves had unique combat encounters designed for them. I did notice some repeated layouts and structure, but I can't say I ever felt the combat encounters were repeated 1 for 1.

My issue with the open world is that it doesn't impose itself mechanically enough on the player to make traversing each zone feel unique its own. I would have liked to have seen From implement an element of danger into the traversal of each zone. Some ideas: inflic some sort of status effect that would necessitate the player to engage with the crafting system more thoughtfully. Something along the lines of harsh weather, hunger, or omnipresent pollution that would further encourage the player to engage with the specific flora/fauna and wildlife of each zone. This would have the effect of having the traversal of each zone have its own unique identity. I still remember the first time I entered Blighttown and went AFK only to return and find out I had ZERO souls. Just how a carefully designed level has its dangers, I wish each specific zone would offer its own unique challenge that could be countered by engaging with the resources that zone provides.

Other suggestions I had jotted down: introduce overworld shortcuts/evolution as a reward for the player having done something. Perhaps you'd have to navigate a treacherous area filled with enemies that made traversal a pain (e.g. Anor Londo archers). The reward for getting through it would be a neat shortcut lift so the player won't have to fight that battle again after respawning. I love the idea of an evolving overworld, and I think it’s beautifully done with Radahn’s comet in Limgrave. I love when I’m given a good reason to re-engage with spaces I’ve already traversed. Bravo!

Dragons:
I've come away feeling that all of my battles against dragons have felt the same and the culprit is that they all either take place in the open world or they fail to make use of the environment in any meaningful way to make each one feel unique. By and large, after I witnessed each dragon’s unique spell, they all felt the same to me, ranging from the first one in Limgrave to the one in Fia’s dream. I feel like each should exist in an area where the terrain itself is something it can use against the player, thereby giving each one a bit more identity.

Level Design:
I was lukewarm on the opening hours Limgrave provided but I’m glad to see that the quality of the levels increased tenfold after that point. In fact, there were a few area in the game that stand in my mind as masterclass examples of level design. Whether it be the perilous Heligtree, the tough combat encounters found in the Shrouded Castle, the Darkroot Depths' mystique and platforming, or the Yharnamesque Capital with its seemingly endless twists and turns

Combat Challenge:
This is my seventh FromSoftware rodeo and I'm the kind of player who plays a nimble dex build, primarily because I enjoy feeling/experiencing the AI's entire move-set up close and personal. I also gravitate toward avoiding summons, as I find it deprives me of some dignity (not casting judgements on anyone else, I just know this to be true for myself). All this to say I was curious of the game's summoning system, which kind of functions as pokemon you acquire out in the world and can use in specific areas should you have enough mana. Summons saved my butt a few times, and since I used them sparingly, those moments of my playthrough stand out brightly in my memory. I'd say you're rarely pitted against multiple foes at once, but there are a few O&S like encounters to be sure. I do think the summoning mechanic is a good addition to help those who really need the assistance. At its worst, it's a tool you may use at your discretion to make your life a bit easier, by no means did I ever feel like it rendered an opponent obsolete.

I did beat many bosses on my first time through, but this brings to mind another problem that's a consequence of the open world. Because the game-world is so open and generous with content, I found myself steamrolling through much of the game in the second half of my playtime. I was dusting off bosses left and right b/c I was confident in my build and in how I prioritized my stats. That said, I am delighted to say that the end-game areas are no slouch. Ranging from the Capital all the way to the Haligtree, I found the game still had enough withheld to keep me on my toes. I love the heavy units found beneath the Capital, or the Haligtree's knights, or the precarious geometry of the Haligree itself.

Novelty/Fresh/What's new:

Returning to the dungeons/caves peppered throughout the overworld, I was happy to see the return of classic traps. One of my favorite moments of the game, which is actually featured in the game's launch trailer (super happy I didn't watch that until just recently by the way), involves an insta-kill trap that can be found early on if you choose the right starting gift. The freshest element the game has going for it is the overworld traversal and being able to jump. I found the game calls for this more toward the end, as the later half of the games features more levels with stronger verticality. It's a nice addition, and a great tool surely for level designers to entice players by placing items off in the distance.

Replay Value:
Surely I've missed NPCs entirely, and god knows I would have never been able to follow an NPCs story beats on my own. In fact, I think it's cool that we can rely on the community as a whole to suss out these quest progressions. This is actually one of the other problems that's a consequence of the open world, it's so much easier to miss out on NPCs and their quest progression. I can recall one moment where I was galloping across the landscape, twisting the camera here and there to soak in the sights, when all-of-a-sudden, I spy a familiar NPC I saw hours ago in my peripheral vision. I could have very easily had the camera panned the opposite direction, but I just happened to have the camera panned on the right spot to be able to make her out in the scenery. And that's a damn shame as, because there's a lot of tender moments to be shared with the NPCs. As I'm nearing the credits, I OKd myself to look up the progression of some of the NPCs I had met (again, it boggles my mind how ppl figured out how to find all the different locations an NPC warps to in their quest progression) and was super happy to see how they were concluded.

NPC Questlines:
I'm all in favor of the game's dominant hands-off approach, but I really do wish there was a more efficient way of tracking these details. For example, I myself was taking copious notes on a notepad, either jotting down a loose end or an item I saw but couldn't reach, or writing down information about NPCs and their favors. One problem is that sometimes NPCs don't repeat the critical details of their favor. For example, I knew Ranni asked me to explore Nokron, but I forgot what it was she was looking for. When I looked up her quest online I found that I had actually missed that entire chunk of Nokron when I first explored it. That was my fault, as the map clearly showed enough detail for me to have been able to think, "hey I hadn't been there." Shout out once again to the excellent map. I love the little drawings that detail buildings or creatures you may find there.

Annoyances/Quality of Life:
-I wish there was a buy-back option for vendors, as there have been numerous times that I've regretted parting with a talisman/weapon/item/etc
-I wish there were vendors that let you buy crafting ingredients/consumables at high prices to have to avoid deliberate farming

Controls:
Torrent (your mount) feels great, particularly b/c it doesn't get in the way of your fun much at all. Torrent doesn't buckle against the environment, you can double jump whenever you want to, and you mount/dismount at zero speed, while walking, or even running. The only gripe I have is that I wish the distance you’re able to acquire items were increased a bit, as sometimes you may kill an animal that’s atop a little rock and you have to jump on it to nab it.

Mounted combat grew on me over time. At first I found it loose, clunky, and poorly managed by the camera. While not perfect, I found a lot of fun of finding the flow of your swings (funny fact: it took my until hour 30 to find out you don’t always have to swing with your right hand). I particularly loved using the flail, as it has a very fun wind up animation, I can't speak for other weapon types.

Switching weapons and toggling two handed is clunkier than before by nature of having to hold down an additional button. Also, I didn't realize you could switch to your bow by just hitting the shoulder button if you have it in one of your hands.

Jumping: frustrating when the game calls for platforming, as some jumps require you to get a running start and sometimes you won't have much surface area to do so confidently (e.g. in mines). That said, seldom does the game require to make use of on-foot jumping. I do like the new combat possibilities it adds though, doing jumping smash attacks can be very fun, especially when leaping off horseback to start an engagement, truly wonderful stuff

Cutscenes/VIP Bosses:
Boss fights that aren't given the traditional VIP treatment with their own cut-scenes and music feel much like the "filler" bosses from Dark Souls 2. Often they are unceremoniously introduced and BAM the action starts. The game uses this tactic subversively as well in one wonderful moments that stands out in my memory (Godwyn). I've seen some boss recycling (mainly b/c the game has so many mini-dungeons (caves) that remind me of the Chalice Dungeons from Bloodborne. Some layouts are repeated, but each has their own unique encounter design. And in usual From tradition, some bosses show up in the overworld as regular encounters later on

Crafting:
I was disappointed to learn that the crafting only extends to consumables. I was hoping we would be able to craft unique/legendary weapons and armor. As it is, you can only trade in great souls for items, or purchase unique equipment worn by bosses from a special merchant after besting them. How cool would it have been to find schematics for weapons and be able to work toward them?

Item upgrading: progression was oddly straightforward. I do wish there were more risks taken here. I was looking for some sort of “twist” kind of like how you could elevate normal weapons to completely different ones in DS1.

In sum, Elden Ring is an incredible achievement. A true odyssey I shall never forget. My hope is that the overworld is itself given a greater element of danger that necessitates engaging with its specific flora/faun / wildlife. I would like to see more risks taken in item progression/ascendancy as well.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Better than Dark Souls 3. By a long mile.

NPC storylines are a lot more esoteric and hard-to-follow organically now. This is exacerbated by how fucking big the open world is and all the weird little spots they often get squirrelled-away in. Thankfully, I don't think as many can get canceled-out by story progression like in prior games.

Crouching feels redundant. I don't think I've seen a single consistent use for it outside of stealthing around the Golden Knight on the way to the first church. Jumping is okay, you can jump over the Gargoyle Bosses sword swipes in all of the repeated crypt dungeons if you want.

Oh, and the armor design is great, both for fashion-souls and for utility.

ElectricOtter

u rly made a new topic when theres already a topic filled to the brim with tl;dr drivel from other posters that havent even seen 40% of the game

did dad not return ur texts or sumthing today u attention starved faggot? :3

Shrimp

Arbiter
My feeling with the game is that I'm glad I played it for the sake of experiencing it. But whereas I immediately started a new character or went into NG+ in the other Souls games I feel too exhausted to replay this again for a very long time. In fact I might not even replay it at all.
I'm sure we'll be hearing about this game for years to come but I feel like this game is far less replayable than the others. If I were to create another character I know it'd be with a wiki open in my browser so I could see whether or not the nearby ruins are something worthwhile or just filler to pad out the world. Exploration an adventure is a core component of this game, but since you can only experience that once I feel like replays just will turn into a boss rush while disregarding everything and everyone located in the different areas.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
My feeling with the game is that I'm glad I played it for the sake of experiencing it. But whereas I immediately started a new character or went into NG+ in the other Souls games I feel too exhausted to replay this again for a very long time. In fact I might not even replay it at all.
I'm sure we'll be hearing about this game for years to come but I feel like this game is far less replayable than the others. If I were to create another character I know it'd be with a wiki open in my browser so I could see whether or not the nearby ruins are something worthwhile or just filler to pad out the world. Exploration an adventure is a core component of this game, but since you can only experience that once I feel like replays just will turn into a boss rush while disregarding everything and everyone located in the different areas.

the same for me

hackncrazy

Savant
Oh, I didn't see that this thread existed, so I'll post my final thoughts here:

Well, I think I'm done with ER, at least for now.

I finished the game last night and started to clearing some bosses that I left behind. I was still enjoying the experience, because I was going from boss to boss, so it's like having the best part of a dessert.

And then I clicked on "Start Journey 2". The moment I got out and the LIMGRAVE letters appeared on my screen with that huge world in my face, I realized I was done. I simply don't have the energy enough to go through this journey again. In previous souls games, I instantly started NG+ (I'm pretty sure I already finished Bloodborne like 50 or 60 times, including speedruns, challenge runs etc) and on and I was always enjoying new runs. For my tastes, the overextended endgame killed a lot of the enjoyment I was having with ER. The sad part is that I really want to play against some bosses again, mainly Margit, Morgott, Godfrey, Rennala, Mohg and some more. But the single thought of having to ride for like 30 minutes just to get to them instantly kills that. Even the speedruns that I watched today are extremely boring and consists of seeing the guy riding a horse for 80% of the time.

That's not to say that ER is a bad game. I enjoyed most of my time with it and even in the endgame I was having fun with some boss fights. The problem against replaying it is the colossal hugeness of the world.

If someone makes a boss rush mod at some point (or even a mod that allows you to travel to any site of grace from the start), I'd be very happily to keep playing. Hell, with any of these features, it'll probably be my most played FS game. But as it stands now, I'll stop playing.

hackncrazy

Savant
I hope the eventual DLC ditches the open-world and ends up being a string of good old legacy dungeons/corridor maps of some sort, like old Oolacile or Hunters Nightmare.

That's what I'd love as well, but I think the chance for this to happen is very close to zero.

Ivan

Arcane
So it's been a few days, perhaps even a week after I've uninstalled Elden Ring after my first playthrough. I'll definitely be returning for a second go-round once patches are in, maybe even DLC. Just wanted to come back to express how much I enjoyed the game paying off some loose ends I had been ruminating over in that virginal playthrough.

-harkening back to the wonderful map, I was always curious about the detail surrounding the albinauric map, but knew that I wasn't traversing it. I remember spending a good amount of time looking for some connection, some jumppad that would grant me access. Very cool to learn that you access it down the line via Ranni's quest
-there's a damn tantalizing item right when you descend into the Capital sewers. Relying on your observation skills, you'll probably be looking for some other well or hole in the Capital streets. What a wonderful moment it was to return to the wasted capital and seeing that newly damaged grate
-I'm not sure I'll be looking up the NPC quests for my 2nd playthrough. I've always liked the idea of letting games keep some of their secrets. I wouldn't mind learning about complete areas I've missed. In fact, I had nearly missed out on Ranni's quest resolution b/c I never found that Site of Grace/Side-Path on my own. My fault, I should have done a better job of reading the map.

Silva

Arcane
I propose an exercise:

Why don't you folks who finished it/got far into the game do a comprehensive list of things they could fix/improve through updates? I mean, I'm dropping the game for the moment, hoping to come back later to see an improved experience. What could I expect, realistically speaking?

Ivan , Curratum , Great Deceiver , cvv , toro , Shrimp

Curratum

Realistically, nothing will be fixed.

From never made meaningful changes to any of their games as free updates. I don't even expect them to fix the stuttering and hideous overall performance.

The downpour of positive reviews from media and player praise, adulation and happy memes, as well as the 12 million copies sold so far, all mean that From will be given the greenlight to proceed exactly as before, because how can you change or fix a 10/10 game, after all?

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
DS 1 + 3 are still much better than ER.
We will see if that's still the case when serious mods arrive.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
I'm curious to know how many hours it took for you to finish the game and how much time you devoted to explore the map thoroughly?

Ivan hackncrazy toro Shrimp Ghulgothas Kruno
105 hours to finish my first playthrough
I have 4 other playthroughs for another 50 hours
just making builds and finishing the game with them

in my first playthrough I was constantly lost so I did nothing but explore. it only took me a few hours to actually finish once I got bored with exploration

my later playthroughs I finished the game in like ~10-15 hours and under level 50

Shrimp

Arbiter
I'm curious to know how many hours it took for you to finish the game and how much time you devoted to explore the map thoroughly?

Ivan hackncrazy toro Shrimp Ghulgothas Kruno
My save file was at just around 100 hours when I beat the final boss. In that time I had also beaten every major side boss and explored optional areas that I could find. It's hard to say exactly how much of those ~100 hours were spent on just exploring, but I feel like I'd been through almost everything although I probably still missed a couple of catacombs, night time exclusive bosses etc.

Dr1f7

Scholar
i got bored after killing godrick, then just did a bunch of pvp invasions and helped people kill godrick in co-op (this was fun for a bit)
i have like 20 hours in the game and really not itching to play anymore

so far dark souls 1 has been the only 'souls' game to keep my attention all the way through, I also dropped 2 and 3 not too far in. Finished sekiro tho, but that game was relatively short.

it doesn't help that I feel like the weapon I enjoy is severely underpowered, I'm doing like 100-200 damage per attack but then I see someone's stream where they're at a similar location to me and they do 1k-2k damage per swing. seriously shitty feeling to know that I need to put in 10x or more effort to killing an enemy just because from soft decided not to balance their game

idk whenever I think about loading up elden ring lately I'm always like "well I'd rather play street fighter, which is basically the same thing but balanced"

My first playthrough ended at 87 hours but I missed
Mohg's palace and the Lyndell sewers area.
Tried to explore most areas thoroughly but when I got to the giants mountain I was beelining for the end and skipped a majority of the side areas. Clearing them up on my second run.

ELEXmakesMeHard

Learned
On my 1st playthrough I frequently wished that it had more narrative. I kept feeling like a murderhobo who went around killing just for the sake of killing. Yet patiently waited for enemies to prepare for their 1st/2nd phase... so an honorable murderhobo I guess.

Silva

Arcane
i got bored after killing godrick, then just did a bunch of pvp invasions and helped people kill godrick in co-op (this was fun for a bit)
i have like 20 hours in the game and really not itching to play anymore

so far dark souls 1 has been the only 'souls' game to keep my attention all the way through, I also dropped 2 and 3 not too far in. Finished sekiro tho, but that game was relatively short.
Nah, I also dropped DS1 after lordvessel out of boredom, before properly coming back to my save and finishing it. Only Bloodborne and Sekiro had me hooked like a junkie from start to finish (and thereafter, as I kept playing and finished both games in succession without a break).

My main criticism of ER is threefold: 1) unfun, gimmick-based combat with spastic bosses; 2) flacid, uninteresting (open)world exploration, and 3) uninspired/derivative mommy and daddy fantasy aesthetics. It's easily the weakest From game to me, on par with DS3.

FriendlyMerchant

Is this game good yet? Also... Are there any free copies that can access multiplayer?

elverkongen

Learned
Elden Ring has gone through a lot of changes since it's initial release. Fromsoft can't seem to balance one thing without unbalancing something else, fix one bug without creating another. For this reason, I will never buy a Fromsoft game until one year has passed.

Playing a souls game stretched out across an open world like this kind of ruined the Fromsoft formula for me. All they really have going for them is combat which, after playing this same game for the fourth or fifth time, is just... really not very good and makes me appreciate games like Nioh more.

Flip through spells using up on the d-pad. Oops, accidentally went past spell slot 5 out of 10? Well, go back to the beginning and start all over. Roll, roll, roll, roll, poke, roll, roll, poke.

Anyway, I clocked around 78 hours on my first and probably only playthrough. I have no interest in ever picking it up again unlike Dark Souls (started NG+ right after beating NG) and Sekiro (started NG++ right after beating NG and NG++). I have no hype or interest or desire for Souls games any longer without some dramatic innovations to the formula.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom