Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Big DISAPPOINTMENT regarding PVP.

As for now, you CAN NOT invade players who haven't joined a COOP session, respectively players who haven't summoned anyone (mounted players are playing solo since mounts are disabled when playing a COOP session).
This decision IS NOT final yet. Hopefully, this will get changed asap.

fork

I never cared about PVP in souls games, because it's shit, but imagine the outcry if you could just invade anyone, even with a way out like staying hollow...

Last edited by a moderator:

Shrimp

Arbiter
Big DISAPPOINTMENT regarding PVP.

As for now, you CAN NOT invade players who haven't joined a COOP session, respectively players who haven't summoned anyone (mounted players are playing solo since mounts are disabled when playing a COOP session).
This decision IS NOT final yet. Hopefully, this will get changed asap.

Sounds like their goal is more of DS3's 'large scale' PvP where the game prioritises placing invaders in game worlds with summons. I remember this being pretty shit on release since it meant every time you tried to invade it'd usually end up in a 1v3.
Well at the end of the day I don't really care too much to be honest. I play Souls PvP when the games are completely new since everyone else still is in the phase of playing through the game and/or messing around with experimental builds. I don't care about duel shit, fight clubs or whatever people do to play PvP after the initial couple of weeks.

Shrimp

Arbiter
I never cared about PVP in souls games, because it's shit, but imagine the outcry if you could just invade anyone, even with a way out like staying hollow...
I'm pretty sure you could be invaded in hollow form in DS2, but no one ever noticed it outside of scripted NPC invasions since From decided to make invasion orbs unreasonably tedious to obtain.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
I was never into PvPs in Souls, I've never actively looked for PvP or prepare builds for it, but I liked how it introduces unpredictability to my "singleplayer" experience. Even hack trolls that made me pause the game for some weeks, added some tension to the games. (So I liked that you can be invaded in hollow status in DS2.) It will be little disappointing if they downplay it.

Well anyway, another disappointment. https://www.gameinformer.com/previe...es-a-map-and-fast-travel-from-almost-anywhere

Elden Ring Features A Map And Fast Travel From Almost Anywhere

In Elden Ring, players have access to a huge map showcasing the vast open world of The Lands Between and its legacy dungeon areas. Players unlock checkpoints all over this world, very similar to bonfires in other Souls games, known as Sites of Lost Grace. Here’s the big takeaway – you can fast travel around the map to any of your checkpoints as long as you’re in the open world. You won’t be able to port into or out of legacy dungeons in this way as they seem to be their own sort of closed-off core Souls dungeon experience, but anywhere else in the world you can pop up your map and be at your destination almost instantly.

Now, the map is huge, so how do you even go about navigating it? Well, obviously you are going to be doing tons of exploring and looking for landmarks. But, Elden Ring also features something known as map fragments that players can find in a variety of ways that unlock various special markers on the map, to lead players toward points of interest. These breadcrumb items can point you in the direction of all kinds of things. The open-world features hidden areas, optional bosses, and more. You can party with up to two other players in co-op in Elden Ring.

Elden Ring features a hub area where NPCs you meet may congregate as well, similar to the Firelink Shrine or Majula in the Souls titles. You can go there between adventures to chat, upgrade, and more. However, many of these functions are available at any Site of Lost Grace via a character called “Melina”(SP). Melina is similar to the Maiden in Black, the Emerald Herald, or the Firelink Keeper, and can be summoned at the vast majority of Sites of Lost Grace in order to power up your character and allocate skills. Unlike other games where an ability may have been weapon dependant, the vast majority of weapon skills in Elden Ring can be slotted into any weapon, leading to a great deal of build variety. You can also replenish your healing items at Sites of Lost Grace, and although we don’t know the exact methodology behind healing at this time, this language sort of indicates that Elden Ring is using an Estus Flask-like system.

When you’re not teleporting, using your spirit steed allows you to travel all over the open world incredibly fast. Various boost points across the map let you blast off and get the verticality you need to traverse steep cliffs or mountainsides. It sounds a bit ridiculous on paper, but in practice, these jump pads actually look pretty cool in action and I hope From lets players see how they appear visually soon. Of important note, you cannot use your steed in dungeons or while engaged with multiplayer. Oh well.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
I'm pretty sure you could be invaded in hollow form in DS2, but no one ever noticed it outside of scripted NPC invasions since From decided to make invasion orbs unreasonably tedious to obtain.
NPCs could invade you while hollow, don't think players could. I've been invaded by players but it was only when human.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I was never into PvPs in Souls, I've never actively looked for PvP or prepare builds for it, but I liked how it introduces unpredictability to my "singleplayer" experience.

Sure, it's a super cool feature and produced a lot of memes and priceless YT videos. Problem is a combined balancing for PvP and PvE is nigh impossible to nail right. P. much all games have separate PvP and PvE modes for a reason. After all FS themselves admitted it's a pain in the ass. It's why their armor/poise "solution" in DS3 has been such a disaster and why there's no online in Sekiro.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I was never into PvPs in Souls, I've never actively looked for PvP or prepare builds for it, but I liked how it introduces unpredictability to my "singleplayer" experience.

Sure, it's a super cool feature and produced a lot of memes and priceless YT videos. Problem is a combined balancing for PvP and PvE is nigh impossible to nail right. P. much all games have separate PvP and PvE modes for a reason. After all FS themselves admitted it's a pain in the ass. It's why their armor/poise "solution" in DS3 has been such a disaster and why there's no online in Sekiro.

PvP was fun and a great idea because it added tension to already dangerous areas. The problem began when FROM started listening to PvPfags about balance issues, and started to remove things that were fun in PvE, so they could have maybe a slightly less shitty multiplayer melee fighting game.

Souls is a PvE with fun multiplayer ingredients, so PvE should always come first.

fork

Yes, but the fanbois on Codex are happy at least, so that's something.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom