Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Black Angel

Arcane
Crouching in the grass to sneak around,
What's wrong with this, in particular?
I already felt weird seeing knights jumping in plate armor in some previous video, but sneaking around in the grass.... It made sense in sekiro, where we literally play a shinobi, but wtf were they thinking here... At what point in his life would a fully armoured knight crouch for any reason ?
You're not wrong, but until they reveal the RPG mechanics to show whether a knight in plate armor trying to sneak around resulted in instant detection or not, let's not immediately jump to conclusions. I mean, they already have the basis for sound-based mechanics since Dark Souls with a spell like Hush, or maybe even Demon's Souls since apparently there's a spell called Familiar's Prank.

Besides, the one they're showing is in a screenshot; they probably didn't think it through to make it so that such specific mechanic would be more fitting to be performed by lightly clothed/armored characters. Or it could be a marketing move to showoff a mascot attire, like Fluted Set for Demon's Souls, Elite Knight Set for Dark Souls 1, Faraam Set for Dark Souls 2 etc etc

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
You're not wrong, but until they reveal the RPG mechanics to show whether a knight in plate armor trying to sneak around resulted in instant detection or not
I don't expect a noise stat at all. This is not Kingdom Come, it's not a sim, it's an action RPG, you're jumping up high cliffs on a column of magical energy on a horse that materializes under your butt.

In a game like that a full-plate armored knight sneaking around is WAY down on the list of weird things.

Black Angel

Arcane
You're not wrong, but until they reveal the RPG mechanics to show whether a knight in plate armor trying to sneak around resulted in instant detection or not
I don't expect a noise stat at all. This is not Kingdom Come, it's not a sim, it's an action RPG,
You missed the point, and that's not even considering what you're saying here sound like one of those normies dismissing glaringly out of place occurrence in a setting just because it's fantasy/just a video game yadda yadda

Regardless of expecting a noise stat or not, the sound-based mechanic was already there since Dark Souls 1/Demon's Souls.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
I already felt weird seeing knights jumping in plate armor in some previous video, but sneaking around in the grass.... It made sense in sekiro, where we literally play a shinobi, but wtf were they thinking here... At what point in his life would a fully armoured knight crouch for any reason ?
You're not wrong, but until they reveal the RPG mechanics to show whether a knight in plate armor trying to sneak around resulted in instant detection or not, let's not immediately jump to conclusions. I mean, they already have the basis for sound-based mechanics since Dark Souls with a spell like Hush, or maybe even Demon's Souls since apparently there's a spell called Familiar's Prank.

Besides, the one they're showing is in a screenshot; they probably didn't think it through to make it so that such specific mechanic would be more fitting to be performed by lightly clothed/armored characters. Or it could be a marketing move to showoff a mascot attire, like Fluted Set for Demon's Souls, Elite Knight Set for Dark Souls 1, Faraam Set for Dark Souls 2 etc etc
Rightly spoken. I'm gonna wait and see. The direction-giving arrows may also be limited in some way that makes it ok (I still have a hard time accepting the concept itself in a fromsoft game for purely nostalgic/fundamental reasons).

Black Angel

Arcane
Because it turns stealth from a mix of using cover, lighting, distance, other visual cues and enemy gimmicks into "press X to invisible".
So many oddly specific things to say about a mechanic that haven't even really shown in action.

Besides, all of those things you mentioned barely applies or implemented in Soulsborne, where 'sneaking' means getting your character to walk instead of run while staying behind an enemy's sight (other than using spells or equipping a ring, ofc)

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Because it turns stealth from a mix of using cover, lighting, distance, other visual cues and enemy gimmicks into "press X to invisible".
I wasn't a huge fan of the stealth-based instagib in Sekiro for a different reason. I felt the excellent combat system was wasted since you can instagib the majority of mobs if you wanted.

Often times the choice was "fight a dude for 5 minutes or just sneak up and stab him in the neck". I can see ER making the same mistake tho, sadly.

Bendu

Augur
I guess I know what I'm gonna play this weekend. :obviously:

20211109180819f9kau.jpg

Jinn

Arcane
I feel like stealth kills will be mitigated by a number of factors in order to make them a much less common occurrence in Elden Ring. Fewer standard humanoid opponents, enemy placement, perhaps even damage that works more like a backstab rather than instant kill. I think it was somewhat appropriate in Sekiro, but I think it's likely clear to them this is a different kind of game.

Jinn

Arcane
Grace's Guidance seems like total decline, but my guess is that it's not only very optional to use - as you'll have to actively interact with sites to use it - but also will likely not be as much a direct guidance tool and more of a very general indicator pointing the player to a larger and more intricate exploration site, like dungeons and generally more enclosed locations.

I won't be using it either way.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
In before complainers migrate to Dragon's Dogma thread to spoil fun when Capcom officially announces DD2.

Unfortunately I will meet them there again.

Last edited:

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
In before complainers migrate to Dragon's Dogma thread to spoil fun when Capcom announces officially DD2.

Unfortunately I will meet them there again.

Imagine being a decline-enabling little bitch like this retard here.

Yeah, because being happy to play a new FROM software game, or getting a Dragon's Dogma sequel, is remotely close to being a decline-enabling little bitch.

Every single new FROM release since DS2, all retarded midwits think the new game is becoming a Bethesda or twitcher popamole clone. And every single time they are wrong.

Can't respect their poor pattern recognition skills and annoying attitude. I prefer dealing with blissful real retards that are capable of enjoying things.

fork

Eat up your mockery of a classic From title riddled with dumbed down decline features like quest compass, watch towers and barren open world then. Blind fanboy scum like you are responsible for the state of the industry.

Riskbreaker

Eat up your mockery of a classic From title riddled with dumbed down decline features like quest compass, watch towers and barren open world then. Blind fanboy scum like you are responsible for the state of the industry.
There, I gave you your brofist as you are obviously so hungry for recognition.

Cunt Dickula!?

Overworld looks as empty as expected.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom