Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

mkultra

Augur
the game is too "gamey" t

Hahahaha

what's your objection? this does not have any sim-like mechanics at all from what i've seen. it's as arcade-like or game:y as their other games.
If the only idea with having an open world is a bigger play area, what's the point? you get to spend more time travelling on a horse on the map? how does it add something? from what i've seen they don't seem to get what makes open world games interesting or makes them different.

Generic-Giant-Spider

what's your objection? this does not have any sim-like mechanics at all from what i've seen. it's as arcade-like or game:y as their other games.
If the only idea with having an open world is a bigger play area, what's the point? you get to spend more time travelling on a horse on the map? how does it add something? from what i've seen they don't seem to get what makes open world games interesting or makes them different.

You just typed a game is too gamey.

Simulation is often how one starts their journey on the road to becoming a deplorable storyfag. You must break this route on your own, yungblud.

mkultra

Augur

You just typed a game is too gamey.

Simulation is often how one starts their journey on the road to becoming a deplorable storyfag. You must break this route on your own, yungblud.

Gamey or arcade-like, its the same thing, you must be new. If anything sim-like game are often very lacking when it comes to story or deep characters but more focused on the sim experience, so no.

Ezekiel

Arcane
it's supposed to be a 100+ hrs long open world game...
Really? Any source on this?
previous souls games, despite not being open world, took around 60-80 hours to beat. It's safe to assume that ER will be much longer than that.
That seems very high. Dark Souls II took me 50 hours the first time, and I was thorough. Bloodborne took me 22 hours the first time, and I stink at that game. 27 hours for Sekiro, but I never beat the last boss. A few years earlier I would have tried harder. Just didn't care enough. I liked a lot of the game, though. May start over one day. Can't remember the other lengths. I didn't write them down.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Well, it depends on which souls game was your first, and how good are your gaming skills. DaS1 PtDE took me around 80 hrs, DaS2 on release - 60 hrs, DaS3 on release - 45 hrs, Sekiro - 30 hrs, and DeS - only 20hrs.

But the point still stands, ER is an open world game, and open world games are usually huge time-sinkers. TWitcher 3 doesn't have a lot of meaningful content, but it's still 100hrs long.

Jinn

Arcane
There was a Famitsu interview back in the summer where he answered a question about length.

- Miyazaki guesses playtime is maybe at 30 hours "without too many side trips"

So I'm guessing a good 50-60 hours playthrough for me.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
That seems very high. Dark Souls II took me 50 hours the first time, and I was thorough. Bloodborne took me 22 hours the first time, and I stink at that game. 27 hours for Sekiro, but I never beat the last boss. A few years earlier I would have tried harder. Just didn't care enough. I liked a lot of the game, though. May start over one day. Can't remember the other lengths. I didn't write them down.
Damn I must be shit. DS1 took 80, DS2 took 120. Although DS3 took me 30 hours even though it was the hardest game.

Souls games tend to activate my "explore everything," instinct. I could probably map out the majority of ds1 accurately just from memory, even though I haven't played for years. Open world games are always the opposite to me, no reason to be completionist when completionism is random encounters and random loot. If Elden Ring's open world is as beautifully crafted as the previous games that would be amazing, but is extremely unlikely. Elden Ring has had the longest development cycle by far though, whereas ds2/bb/ds3 came out one year after each other. Curious to see on release where all those years of dev time have gone after From has gotten used to releasing big games one after another.

Black Angel

Arcane
What RPG has any kind of deep stealth system? When numbers matter the most in RPGs anything other than a stealth stat that goes from 0 to 100 is all you can expect.
Underrail, for starters, with a combination of lighting, sound system, and levels designed for it (ventilations in most places), the stealth system became much more than simply increasing the stealth skill.

Fallout was also supposed to have deeper stealth system, but unfortunately have botched execution, with Fallout 1 being way too open to the turn-based mode exploit.

Still, I sincerely hoped for them to improve their stealth system in Elden Ring. They already have the basis for the sound-based mechanics since as far as Dark Souls 1/Demon's Souls, but unfortunately when it comes to visual aspect like line of sight (hanging off of a cliff/roof edges somehow makes it impossible for them to notice you, seemingly because they don't look down further enough), and logical consistency (like enemies seeing the corpse of their own allies for some reason doesn't put them in constant state of suspicions/yellow indicator) Sekiro left a lot to be desired. Additionally, they also need to account for the RPG mechanics, meaning they ought to take equipment load into consideration.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I never played Sekiro because I was convinced at the time we were getting a new Tenchu game when they released that teaser.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
Not a fan of guard countering, i was hoping Elden Ring would scale back the reaction based timing gameplay but they seem to be doing it even more. Unless I'm misinterpreting it and it happens whenever you block rather than when you time the block correctly.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Not a fan of guard countering, i was hoping Elden Ring would scale back the reaction based timing gameplay but they seem to be doing it even more. Unless I'm misinterpreting it and it happens whenever you block rather than when you time the block correctly.
Of course it happens whenever you block. The game already has a mechanic that rewards you for timing your block correctly: parries. "Guard counters" happen whenever you attack immediately after blocking an enemy.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
Of course it happens whenever you block. The game already has a mechanic that rewards you for timing your block correctly: parries. "Guard counters" happen whenever you attack immediately after blocking an enemy.
Parries are different from blocking :) But thank you for the explanation, no problem then.

Black Angel

Arcane
The game already has a mechanic that rewards you for timing your block correctly: parries.
If talking about Souls, in Souls block means holding L1, while parries means tapping L2, so they're different.
If talking about Sekiro, yeah you're right.

But the gameplay mechanic you're talking about actually exists in Dragon's Dogma, where pressing the block button at the right time rewards you with parries, or as the game put it, Perfect Block

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

Enchanted Knight looks so interesting. Two interesting starting spells + a Spear and armor. Liked it + spellparry shield with 100% DR.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
Enchanted Knight looks so interesting. Two interesting starting spells + a Spear and armor. Liked it.
It looks awesome but the beta classes almost certainly won't be in the final game. In previous games tests the beta classes were given extra things on purpose and then there were super nerfed classes on release.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
The game already has a mechanic that rewards you for timing your block correctly: parries.
If talking about Souls, in Souls block means holding L1, while parries means tapping L2, so they're different.
If talking about Sekiro, yeah you're right.
My point was that, in a game that already has a mechanic to reward perfectly timed blocks in the form of parries, what's the point of introducing another feature that does basically the same thing? If you have to perfectly time your L1 to activate "guard counters", it just becomes another parry button.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
My point was that, in a game that already has a mechanic to reward perfectly timed blocks in the form of parries, what's the point of introducing another feature that does basically the same thing? If you have to perfectly time your L1 to activate "guard counters", it just becomes another parry button.
I just assumed it was timed because I asked and a few people told me so. Hard to tell since I don't have any friends that got into the test itself

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom