Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
X9jwtPt.png

Verylittlefishes where are the fishes, uh? UH?

Well so far the only game of theirs I found boring was DS3 so I'm in for whatever they make. I kinda hoped they would keep improving on what they started with Sekiro since I'm a bit souls'd out at this point but I'll probably eat this up anyway. As long as its more inspired than DS3.

Shitposter
Well so far the only game of theirs I found boring was DS3 so I'm in for whatever they make. I kinda hoped they would keep improving on what they started with Sekiro since I'm a bit souls'd out at this point but I'll probably eat this up anyway. As long as its more inspired than DS3.

yee dark souls 1 was awesome, dark souls 2 was... well it had twinblades so you could role play as darth maul and the pvp was fun. dark souls 3 I never finished cuz I was just so sick of the souls series 3/4 of the way through.

bloodborne I never got to play because I don't have consoles BUT I saw some parts of it that looked really cool. sekiro was awesome, fun 20 hours or so. I just don't really think I want 'dark souls 4' at this point

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I wouldn't trust some faggot journalist but this follows my prediction.

And i'm ok with it for the reasons i elucidated. I'm fine with Seiko and the direction they took there (also Bloodborne, not so much DS3) but i also want muh RPG back and that means Dark Souls as i can't imagine them really straying from the formula too much (just enough to make it fresh would be the best case scenario).

Open world still makes me worried though.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Sekiro is fine as it's own thing but doesn't have any claim of superioty as to the direction From should take in the future. The way i see it, they are trying to alternate between different applications of their patented gamaplay formula instead of getting stuck on a single direction. It wouldn't surprise if after Elder Ring they wouldn't pick things up from where Seiko left them off.

Sentinel

Arcane
It is ironic how the original gatekeepers who shat on "plebs" who didnt like Dark Souls because of its difficulty now hate Sekiro because it's too difficult.

Sekiro is the best playing game From Software has made.

It is ironic how the original gatekeepers who shat on "plebs" who didnt like Dark Souls because of its difficulty now hate Sekiro because it's too difficult.

And the main reason it's "too hard" for some Souls veterans is the fact it was designed to rape you if you play it like Souls. If you actually bother to git gud it becomes way more forgiving than Souls in many ways.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Did anyone say anything about difficulty?

So that's the only paradigm that matters now and one must disreguard everything Dark Souls had that was unique to it and continue with this trajectory indefinitely, until there no game anymore just boss fight simulators.

Machocruz

Arcane
If they're going the "medieval" or European-esque fantasy route, it needs to be another Demon's Souls moment to get me geeked. Though poised as a spiritual successor to King's Field, that game was still very, very different. We're getting mounts, and a landscape that suggests less Oblivion and more Shadow of the Colossus - if there were anything to do in it- which is good. But if it's the same attributes, leveling approach, control scheme, weapon upgrading approach, cryptic NPCs....eh. The world and its inhabitants are going to have to be hella interesting to make up for it. Aesthetic and immersive af. Visionary. Like (early) Ridley Scott or Kubrick* were overseeing the art department.

But that's just me, I know many would be fine with Open Souls.

*Normally I'm loath to bring up Kubrick because I only moderately like him and he has a bunch of nuthuggers on the internet, but my boomer brain is failing to come up with other visual/visionary filmmakers at the moment.

Last edited:

fork

It will be dumbed down shit. Not as much as the rest of the aaa-market, but by FromSoft standards.

You can't do dumber than Sekiro so I expect :incline:

Well, Sekiro is okay. I was disappointed at first by the lack of customisation options and rpg elements, but once I got over that, it was cool. Great level design and satisfying combat for a playthrough or two. After that it gets repetitive. You could call it dumbed down compared to Souls, because once you have the parrying shit down it actually is kinda dumb and it feels overall more gimmicky with the grappling hook, very situational prosthetics and consumables, arrows on screen marking enemy and grapple locations, white ledges which remind of the worst AAA-titles out there etc.. But the level design is still quite intricate, there's still more gameplay than cutscenes, it's still difficult and there's no quest marker or real ingame map. So compared to the AAA-market, it's fantastic.

I'm not so hopeful for Elden Ring; Open World, mount, that Martin hack.. everything I know so far about the game rings my decline alarm bells. Should it turn out that I'm wrong, great. But I'm not hopeful.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Did anyone say anything about difficulty?

Meanwhile, two posts earlier,

What? I was responding to that specific post.

But i don't remember anyone complaining about Sekiro or welcoming a return to the Dark Souls formula on account of the fact Sekiro is too teh hard.

It seems to me that the general uneasiness about Sekiro is that From is going to move further and further away from their RPG roots to chase after twitch combat purity.

Some people may prefer that. I personally don't see why they can't alternate. In fact in a perfect world i'd love to see them return closer to King's Field, all though realistically i don't see that ever happening.

So their last three games (Bloodborne, DS3, Sekiro) eschewed some RPG elements to focus on twitch purity and somehow them changing course is decline?

What, you want them to start making Devil May Cry clones and forget they were ever an RPG company?

If Sekiro is a team b game i have a feeling they are propably making a follow up to that even as team a is busy with Elder Ring.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Elden Ring Is in Polishing Phase; Game Will Be Very Similar to Dark Souls – Rumor

I'm going to assume they punted on many open world aspects of the original design because it was beyond their scope. Maybe we'll see it in a sequel.

That's incline. Level design > open world. It's why despite the jank DS2 was more fun than DS3 from a exploration point of view.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom