Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM - coming January 21st

Discussion in 'jRPG Weeaboo Discussion' started by HoboForEternity, Mar 29, 2019.

1. Jaedar Arcane Patron

Jaedar
    Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    After you know mimics exist, you'll eye every chest with suspicion. It keeps you on your toes. Traps are good, unpredictable traps that can still be spotted by the careful player are better.

• Yes Yes x 5
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Egosphere Magister

Egosphere
    I just whack each chest before opening it

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Zed Duke of Banville Zo Kath Ra Patron

Zed Duke of Banville
    [​IMG]

• Brofist x 2
    • nice x 2
    • incline x 2
    • Friendly x 2
    • Excited! x 2
    • Doggy x 1
    • Kitty x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. NJClaw OoOoOoOoOoh Patron

NJClaw
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I'm Ridin' with Biden I'm Ridin' with Biden
    > it's a one off gotcha moment to waste time

> it remains forever as a cherished memory in everyone's gaming history

They can't both be true, and the second one definitely is.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
    • Agree x 3
    • not sure if serious x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • cool story bro x 1
    • No x 1
    • Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Shinji Learned

Shinji
    Agreed. There are rules and there are exceptions.

A bonfire is the equivalent of a checkpoint, and it's a safe guarantee that the player's position and progress will be saved.
    Because of that, people might come to the conclusion that it's the best way to surprise the player, since it's in the safest moments that people usually let their guard down.

A chest is just a container for an item. It's contents are revealed only when the player opens it, so whenever the player sees a chest in most games, he reads "reward", and his immediate reaction is to open it without thinking too much about it.
    Adding a trap to the chest breaks this rule in his mind, adding the possibility of not only reward, but punishment as well.

Some people might say it makes the game more challenging, because experienced players will be more careful and will learn the hard way.
    While true, not everything needs to be challenging. An experienced game designer will put a lot of thought into what should be challenging and what shouldn't be, because a simple change can make or break the game.

When a chest has the possibility of containing a trap, this simple fact adds stress and tension to the interaction. Now the player needs double the amount of effort to ensure that it's safe to interact with the chest.
    With a bonfire, it's the opposite experience that's intended, as it's the only safe haven for the player. The designers wanted to enforce this rule that there's no tension and stress associated with interacting with a bonfire.

In other words, simple things should be kept simple. Adding more layers of complexity to an interaction doesn't always equate to a better game experience.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. sorinmask Just like Yves, I chase tales. Patron

sorinmask
    Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Bro, all you gotta do is check the chain. What are you talking about? Even a 7 year-old can figure that one out. Oh no... so much tenshioun... >.>

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Jaedar Arcane Patron

Jaedar
    Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I know of the chain yes. But It's probably not something you notice on your first or second mimic. I don't remember how it was in DS2, but iirc in DS3 you have to wait around and look closely to see if the chest is breathing.

^ Top  
  8. Nathir Savant

Nathir

Pure autism, and the reason why we can't have good games anymore. I can't believe you just "analyzed" the mimic with words like "rules, challenge, interactivity, reward/punishment, tension, simplicity".

Here's the thing. The mimic exists because they thought up an enemy like that, and thought it would be cool to include it. Which it is. It just adds to the immersion and the world.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    • popamole popamole x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. DJOGamer PT Arcane

DJOGamer PT
    It not a significant enough difference that people will notice in their 1st playtrough without consulting the wiki

Honestly I think the best way was if did the mimics placement in more "obvious" locations
    That is, mimics should've all been placed in a way that made the player go like "wait a minute something not right, this is just too easy and too good to be true"
    While real chests should've been all placed in hard to reach places and secret spots

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 4
    ^ Top  
  10. Jedi Master Radek Arcane

Jedi Master Radek
    Why not just stand behind the chest and give it a slash? Works well.

^ Top  
  11. DJOGamer PT Arcane

DJOGamer PT
    Because there are no mimics prior to Sen's Fortress, and the game never hints at the possibility of "trap" chests
    So it's pretty much impossible for any 1st time player, that hasn't checked a wiki/playtrough or learned through a friend, to avoid one of the four mimics encounters in the whole game

^ Top  
  12. Jedi Master Radek Arcane

Jedi Master Radek
    I was assuming we were discussing this from perspective of not the first time player.

^ Top  
  13. DJOGamer PT Arcane

DJOGamer PT
    Oh...
    My bad.

EDIT: it's still a gatcha enemy

• gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Egosphere Magister

Egosphere
    Not mine

Btw, whilst on the topic of bonfires, they already had something like that in ds2 - the non lethal explosions in Aldia encounters. Decent jumpscare in your first playthrough.

^ Top  
  15. Verylittlefishes Sacro Bosco Patron

Verylittlefishes
    In fact all you need to do is play official not torrented version of game and read warning messages by your fellow players.

• PIRACY IS WRONG PIRACY IS WRONG x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Assisted Living Godzilla Cipher

Assisted Living Godzilla
    That doesn't even say the game will not be open world. It just says it'll been very similar to Dark Souls. For all we know that means the combat is more Dark Souls that it is there last two games.

Although I'd expect the open world in this to be more their take of something like Ocarina of Time from what they've said, than to be like most modern open world games. The way Ocarine of Time is built, with the big field in the middle that goes off in different directions of dungeons could basically feel like a giant version of what they were already doing with Dark Souls. So I guess it could basically be Dark Souls that's so big you also need a horse to get around.

^ Top  
  17. cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    It's gonna be a Darksiders 2 type open world, calling it now.

• Someone has issues Someone has issues x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Verylittlefishes Sacro Bosco Patron

Verylittlefishes
    Please no horses
    All games with horses are awkward: kc:d,witcher3, rdr2

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • not sure if serious not sure if serious x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. NJClaw OoOoOoOoOoh Patron

NJClaw
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I'm Ridin' with Biden I'm Ridin' with Biden
    Imagine being so privileged and innocent that hearing "games with horses" doesn't fill your head with images of Star Stable Online.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Verylittlefishes Sacro Bosco Patron

Verylittlefishes
    Thanks to the person that bailed me out from Kalinhell!

^ Top  
  21. vortex Fabulous Optimist

vortex
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Deflowerer Arcane

Deflowerer
    That's basically 3D Zelda.

But I wouldn't mind.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Egosphere Magister

Egosphere
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. wahrk Learned

wahrk
    Bonfire mimic sounds hilarious to me. Possibly rage-inducing too, but funny after the fact.

I don’t see an issue with “gotcha” moments as long as they aren’t absurdly punishing. Trial by error and learning from your deaths is part of Dark Souls. People inevitably get used to the normal tricks, so if they want to keep making these games they’ll have to find new ways to push players out of their comfort zone.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Shinji Learned

Shinji
    Ironically it's the other way around.
    The reason why "we don't have good games anymore" is *exactly* because designers just copy whatever is popular and make changes with little to no thought about the consequences of making those changes.

It's like what happened with the Thief franchise, or the Fallout franchise. Making changes because it "sounds cool" on paper.

There's a reason why Nintendo is one of the few companies that has managed to mantain a certain level of consistency to their franchises. Because their main staff is mostly the same from decades ago, and they have people that overanalyze even the tiniest of changes to a game formula.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.