Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM - coming January 21st

Discussion in 'jRPG Weeaboo Discussion' started by HoboForEternity, Mar 29, 2019.

1. Zeriel Arcane

Zeriel
    For me it's just derivative at this point. But I understand a lot of people like it way more than I do. For me the fun of Dark Souls was purely level design, the gameplay really doesn't appeal to me, so the sequels kind of trend downward for me as the level design suffers a little. Or even if it remains the same, it doesn't hit with the same impact multiple times.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Wunderbar Arcane

Wunderbar
    the problem is that it seem like Fromsoft can't actually improve and refine their souls formula. Five games, and not a single one of them can be called a peak.
    Demon's Souls was great, but it still had a lot of rough edges. Dark Souls improved the world design, but has fucked up endgame levels. Dark Souls 2 has fucked up world design and dickishly annoying encounters. Bloodborne is overly streamlined slasher with horrible performance. Dark Souls 3 was a fucking popamole with shit character building. Sekiro was a rhythmic cookie clicker with worthless trash encounters and overly designed boss battles. Some of those games were great, but none of them were exceptionally great.

• Disagree x 7
    • Brofist x 3
    • retadred x 2
    • No x 1
    • Rage x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Wunderbar Arcane

Wunderbar
    If Elden Ring ends up being just another Dark Souls but this time with horses, then they should've swallowed their pride and called it Dark Souls 4.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • No No x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Verylittlefishes Sacro Bosco Patron

Verylittlefishes
    Remind me again, what are you doing in this thread.

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 2
    • How about this as a button How about this as a button x 1
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Black Angel Arcane

Black Angel
    Bloodborne has enough of its own mechanics to greatly separate it from Souls, like the rally mechanic, trick weapons, and the absence of usual Souls shields and tank archetype greatly changes its moment-to-moment gameplay dynamic, despite the fact that it still quickly devolve into the usual dodgefest.
    Meanwhile, Sekiro is anything *but* anime Dark Souls, the only reason I can think of that people even came to something like that at all is because they bruteforce through Sekiro like it's Dark Souls.

I'm unfortunately still unable to play Demon's Souls so I couldn't compare, but to say Dark Souls merely 'improved' the world design is absolutely underselling it. Meanwhile, the only fucked up endgame levels are Demon Ruins and Lost Izalith. The Duke's Archives, and maybe New Londo if you didn't kill Ingward to get the Key to the Seal early, are just as good as any of the pre-Lordvessel levels, while the Tomb of the Giants, while perhaps not everyone's cup of tea, is nowhere near the mess that's Demon Ruins and Lost Izalith.

Horrible performance indeed, but "overly streamlined slasher" seems like action games just aren't your cup of tea.

[​IMG]

This, I agree.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Verylittlefishes Sacro Bosco Patron

Verylittlefishes
    This level is absolutely amazing, one of my favourite. Very dream-like.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Wunderbar Arcane

Wunderbar
    i'll tell you what i'm not here for.
    I'm not here to suck Miyazaki's dick and praise Fromsoft's recent output. They got lazy after realizing that there's no need to try harder because they were better than 90% of other action-rpg devs.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Verylittlefishes Sacro Bosco Patron

Verylittlefishes
    I liked DS3 and didn't like Sekiro, so not sure about "recent output".

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • cuck cuck x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Egosphere Magister

Egosphere
    the dragon landing animation looks worse than any animation i saw in demon souls
    i doubt this trailer is of the finished product. most likely an early mock up, or some internal art direction 'mood board'

• Bro, do you even lift? Bro, do you even lift? x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Verylittlefishes Sacro Bosco Patron

Verylittlefishes
    It is perfectly normal GRRM dragon animation, come on.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • incline incline x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • honk honk! honk honk! x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Verylittlefishes Sacro Bosco Patron

Verylittlefishes
    this is us waiting for the unknown

• Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Egosphere Magister

Egosphere
    but i must admit, seeing a dragon land and breathe fire is just disappointing at this stage. kalameet, sinh, ancient dragon, midir + a dozen or so of various wyverns is enough to last me a lifetime

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Silverfish Learned

Silverfish
    Action games are my cup of tea and Bloodborne is nothing special in that regard.

• Edgy Edgy x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. toro Arcane

toro
    I don't want to be rude but you are in the wrong thread. You are cherry picking a single feature but the intertwined oppressive world of Dark Souls doesn't work without the enemies hence combat gameplay.

Bullshit. Dark Souls is already a classic which established a new genre in gaming. It's not a completely new genre but they managed to create a formula which still works after so many years. If this doesn't match your criteria of exceptionally great then your expectations are simply unrealistic.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
    • Brofist Brofist x 11
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Zed Duke of Banville Zo Kath Ra Patron

Zed Duke of Banville
    1. Demon's Souls
    2. Dark Souls
    3. King's Souls
    4. Blood Souls
    5. Soul Souls
    6. Ninja Souls
    7. Open Souls

• Participation Award Participation Award x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Perkel Arcane

Perkel
    I know this might come as shock for some people. But Dark Souls games had actual story in them. DS3 is literally and figuratively end of Dark Souls. Main game endings had hints of it but DLCs spelled it outright.

Elden Ring being named Elden Ring actually fits perfectly. DS3 DLCs end with mainworld completely dying out and you taking the last dark soul to painter which uses that to paint entirely new world before painted world itself will die too.

There is literally nothing connecting it to Dark Souls anymore as that world is literally dead and all of concepts, ideas, characters, linking of fire, dark souls, subros and so on are no longer exist.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Talby Arcane Patron

Talby
    Codex USB, 2014
    Not true, they could make the next Souls game be set in the age of dark. This would help save on the budget, too, as all they would need to render is a black screen.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • incline incline x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Leechmonger Arbiter

Leechmonger
    Don't forget the reboot: SOULS

• incline incline x 1
    • honk honk! honk honk! x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Wunderbar Arcane

Wunderbar
    we all know "the story" is just a something they put in during the last month of development.

inb4 Elden Ring features a poison swamp, a moonlight greatsword, Patches, sleepy knight in a fat suit, a crestfallen warrior, etc etc.

they've made a couple of great games, but failed to build on them properly and instead just kept rehashing the same old ideas over and over.

• rolleyes rolleyes x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. sorinmask Just like Yves, I chase tales. Patron

sorinmask
    Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    If the Chasm of the Abyss taught us something is that the absence of light, does not necessarily make a completely dark screen.
    You're wrong.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  21. Machocruz Arcane

Machocruz
    I don't mind if Miyazaki just gonna Miyazaki. But all of FS shouldn't just Miyazaki.

^ Top  
  22. Wunderbar Arcane

Wunderbar
    Playing Demon's Souls made me disillusioned with From Software.

They did so many things right on their first try, sort-of refined the formula with a spiritual sequel, and then proceeded to stagnate. Not gonna lie, I'll play Elden Ring on day 1, i'll be a hype whore and preorder that bad motherfucker like as if i was Dildolos, but something tells me even without a shitty leaked video that the game is going to be just another rehash.

• Agree x 4
    • Despair x 2
    • Participation Award x 1
    • incline x 1
    • cool story bro x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. toro Arcane

toro
    Based on the avalanche of copycats I would say that the Dark Souls formula is quite hard to get right and quite limited. There isn't much FromSoftware can do without fundamentally alter the formula and risk a potential flop.

Miyazaki's treatment of Dark Souls 2 is quite indicative of the fact that FromSoftware as most corporations is averse to risk (even when the risk is non-existent because there was no way for DaS2 to flop after DaS).

There is a lot of missing information but I guess, after DaS2 debacle, FromSoftware decided to play it safe until they are in a better financial position.

That's why we got 3 derivative rehashes in the forms of Bloodborne, DaS3 and Sekiro. The DaS formula was not improved one bit by either one of these games (Martial Arts!?) but they were great money makers for FromSoftware.

In this context Elden Ring is the first time in long time when Miyazaki clearly stated that they are returning to the original Dark Souls formula.

This can be seen as stagnation but at the same time it enables real refinements and innovations for the future.

Demon Souls - unrefined formula
    Dark Souls - refined formula
    Dark Souls 2 - tried innovation but failed because of technical reasons
    Bloodborne - rehashed (start of stagnation)
    Dark Souls 3 - rehashed and phoned it in sequel (full stagnation)
    Sekiro - rehashed (end of stagnation)
    Elden Ring - potential return to refined formula
    Elden Ring sequel - potential real innovation (!?)

This is the theory but in reality there is a big chance that Elden Ring will fail to capture the refined formula because FromSoftware have not recreated the complete DaS combat mechanics since DaS2.

Honestly I don't see Miyazaki giving up on twitch-based or faster combat therefore Elden Ring will probably end up like another rehash. Well I dreamed for two days but now I'm depressed.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. toro Arcane

toro
    resetera insider

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 5
    • incline incline x 3
    • Excited! Excited! x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Wunderbar Arcane

Wunderbar
    Miyazaki saw my rant, went back in time and fixed the game.

• Deus Vult Deus Vult x 1
    • Someone has issues Someone has issues x 1
    • M'lady M'lady x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.