Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Mithrandir

Novice
Looking at how CyberPunk bombed, they might've extended their "polishing" phase. That, combined with the pandemic situation might be making them nervous to even at a realistic release date.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Looking at how CyberPunk bombed, they might've extended their "polishing" phase. That, combined with the pandemic situation might be making them nervous to even at a realistic release date.
FromSoft games have always been relatively polished. When they are time pressured they never leave games buggy and glitchy, they rather cut content. The result is a polished game where some areas fucking suck (in case of DS3 most of the game suck but that's for another thread).

ADL

Prophet
Keep in mind Dark Souls 3 was made under normal conditions where people could physically sit in a room together and collaborate. Already suspected Elden Ring would be worse than DaS3 due to the open world but unless the majority of the heavy lifting was done pre-COVID I anticipate Elden Ring being much worse because no one's making good shit over a Zoom call. Anything in the beginning stages of production right now is fucked.

Believe Tokyo COVID restrictions just get lifted in March?

retinoid

Savant
Keep in mind Dark Souls 3 was made under normal conditions where people could physically sit in a room together and collaborate. Already suspected Elden Ring would be worse than DaS3 due to the open world but unless the majority of the heavy lifting was done pre-COVID I anticipate Elden Ring being much worse because no one's making good shit over a Zoom call. Anything in the beginning stages of production right now is fucked.

Believe Tokyo COVID restrictions just get lifted in March?
Elden Ring started production in early 2017, so it was already 3 years in development by the time Covid hit.

Also, your assessment about a game's quality being tied to people being physically in an office is a bit silly. DS3 was flawed in my opinion, but that was because it was quite obvious that Form Soft and Miyazaki had run out of ideas and basically turned the game into a "greatest hits" Souls title with tons of references to earlier games. Saying that Elden Ring will automatically worse because staff are working remotely makes no sense. If the design philosophy of the game is solid, the game will shine. It may take longer to release because of the current restrictions, but I have full confidence we'll get a good product.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Keep in mind Dark Souls 3 was made under normal conditions where people could physically sit in a room together and collaborate. Already suspected Elden Ring would be worse than DaS3 due to the open world but unless the majority of the heavy lifting was done pre-COVID I anticipate Elden Ring being much worse

A few days ago I watched a podcast with a Warhorse dev and he said home office for game devs work p. well for most situations, with only minor friction. Bud he did say the crunch phase IS a major problem for home offices, which is exactly where Elden Ring probably is rn.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Keep in mind Dark Souls 3 was made under normal conditions where people could physically sit in a room together and collaborate. Already suspected Elden Ring would be worse than DaS3 due to the open world but unless the majority of the heavy lifting was done pre-COVID I anticipate Elden Ring being much worse

A few days ago I watched a podcast with a Warhorse dev and he said home office for game devs work p. well for most situations, with only minor friction. Bud he did say the crunch phase IS a major problem for home offices, which is exactly where Elden Ring probably is rn.

Face-to-face communication and interaction is much faster. Pro work of any kind can often ride on a ball-hair of timing and getting everyone in sync and in the pocket - it's much, much easier when people can communicate face-to-face and with body language.

Deflowerer

Arcane

Also you must keep in mind this is Japan we are talking about. They are in stone age when it comes to organizing work productively (for a modern era) and digitally.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
reveal.jpg

This is probably fake btw.

"Wordwide Reveal"? Announcement of an announcement? Sounds legit.

ADL

Prophet
Can't find a source for it but Kadokawa mentioned Elden Ring for the fiscal year so that narrows it down before March 2022.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Can't find a source for it but Kadokawa mentioned Elden Ring for the fiscal year so that narrows it down before March 2022.

Kadokawa Corp's latest FY2021 earnings give some clues on what's on the horizon. Kadokawa owns Japanese game developer FromSoftware, the team behind Dark Souls, Sekiro, and the hotly anticipated Elden Ring. In a presentation to investors, the group indicates Elden Ring may not release by March 2022 as part of its FY2022 period. This isn't a big surprise, however, considering the silence surrounding the title.

79086_53_elden-ring-may-be-delayed-further-fromsoft-parent-company-says.jpg

Kadokawa's game segment earnings are projected to slide by as much as 15% in FY2022, and operating profit could drop as much as 52%. This clearly illustrates the absence of a heavy-hitting release from one of the industry's most renowned studios. It's also interesting to note that gaming isn't a huge part of Kadokawa's business; gaming accounted for 14 billion yen in FY2021, representing 7% of yearly earnings.

Elsewhere in the presentation Kadokawa also says in-development gaming projects could be delayed due to COVID-19 uncertainties. Work-from-home measures have significantly interrupted development of nearly all in-development games worldwide and the same is true for Japan's game studios.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
Take the pessimistic route: It is coming out next year!

People are way too optimistic. Even if it does come out, will it be a steaming pile of crap? It is open world after all!

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
If it does not release before March 22 there's something seriously wrong with the game. It'd probably mean they've scrapped a huge chunk and they're rebuilding it DS2 style.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
If it does not release before March 22 there's something seriously wrong with the game. It'd probably mean they've scrapped a huge chunk and they're rebuilding it DS2 style.

The horse and bigger open areas must be the problem. Because it seems they are the main big novelties they are not experienced with.

I bet the poison swamp was the first thing built and optimized at silky smooth 9-36FPS.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The horse and bigger open areas must be the problem. Because it seems they are the main big novelties they are not experienced with.

I mean...FromSoft must employ some of the most elite devs in Japan, if not the world. Is open world and a horse a problem for an outfit like this? I don't know. Warhorse made an open-world game with a horse when they were just a bunch of neckbeards in a garage.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Open world just means big empty meandering nothing. It is appropriate in a game like Kingdome Come since hey, the game goes for realism and that's how traveling actually is in real life but in a From game?

I don't know man. Feels like it's just going to make the game popamole compared to the Souls games.

fork

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be shit. On the contrary, I wonder what takes them so long to really embrace the decline, like every other dev does after one or two successful titles. Although there has been somewhat of a downwards trend after Dark Souls, all following titles were still magnificent games compared to the rest of the market. It's about time for From to start to really go downhill.

Take the pessimistic route: It is coming out next year!

People are way too optimistic. Even if it does come out, will it be a steaming pile of crap? It is open world after all!

As strange as it may sound, Codex basically consists majorly of different kinds of fanboys. The pole retards fanboi everything CDPR does, FromSoft retards fanboi everything FromSoft does, or at least everything Miyazaki does, some people actually fanboi Obsidian's and Larian's crap etc.pp. If you even criticise aspects of some game in one of their threads, Codex suddenly starts to feel like reddit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I don't think Japanese companies decline quite the same way as western companies. Looking at the top selling games in Japan i don't see what From could do exactly to make their stuff sell more:

https://gamerant.com/japan-best-selling-games-2020-famitsu/

Is Ghost of Tsushima decline? It's the only game that is even remotely close to what From could do in that list and at 400 thousand copies sold it's not really that far off from the Souls game in terms of sales. I just checked and Dark Souls sold something like 2 million copies in Japan and 27 millions world wide.

It seems to me From really has nowhere to go. The only way to move up in terms of sales is to start making Animal Crossing shit and that stuff is already cornered by other companies.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom