Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM - coming January 21st

Discussion in 'jRPG Weeaboo Discussion' started by HoboForEternity, Mar 29, 2019.

1. Lyric Suite Converting to Islam

Lyric Suite
    That's good 'cause who the fuck wants GoT the problem is that it's basically the same shit they have done before.

I don't mind reused assets, animations or gameplay features. That's par per course with Japanese games. But i'm not sure i want to go through another 200 hours of Bear Seek Seek Lest. I'm kinda burned out of those waifu characters and they are in every frikking game they have made and this one looks even more generic.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • popamole popamole x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Gearmos Educated

Gearmos
    Elden Ring Trailer Breakdown - With Help From Creator Hidetaka Miyazaki

And here is a thread with details about the interview with Miyazaki:

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Egosphere Magister

Egosphere
    Imo biggest disappointment is the overall art direction. Playing it very safe. A lot of the enemies, weapons and armour sets could pass for ds3 material, or re-imagined ds2. Much of the trailer feels like re-treading old ground.
    If indie stuff like Blashpemous can carve out a strong, distinct art style to stand apart from the crowd, I'm not sure why a project of such ambition and resources can't.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. Shrimp Learned

Shrimp
    And in non-Twitter format:

• nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Delterius Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Delterius
    is magic gonna be fun this time

• No x 2
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. BlackGoat Arbiter

BlackGoat
    Blasphemous looks like a Dark Souls game tho, haha

• FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Machocruz Arcane

Machocruz
    Fuck keeping fall damage low. Better to do this through spells, scrolls, enchants, equipment, etc. Ever since Oblivion we've had to put up with fantasy games/RPGs doing shit in the most bland basic way possible

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Gearmos Educated

Gearmos
    If you buy it on release, I guess. If you wait too long, it will be nerfed into oblivion in successive patches.

They should reach a balance where magic is neither too overpowered nor unviable.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Verylittlefishes Sacro Bosco Patron

Verylittlefishes
    Miyazaki says the main "quest" without the side ones will be 30h long. Like wtf?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Fluent Scholar Patron The Real Fanboy

Fluent
    only 30 hours? dang, i thought this would be a behemoth of a game u could spend 100 hours each playthrough and still see new stuff etc.. Kinda short, really.

• Despair Despair x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Lutte Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Lutte
    That's longer than it took for me to do a first playthrough of some of the souls games (think I clocked 20 to finish DS2 main game before reaching into DLC content). Sounds about the right length. Dunno why people keep expecting Ubishit/Witcher 3 collectathon from From Software. I don't want a game in which I need 100 hours just to see the main content anyway.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Edgy Edgy x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Verylittlefishes Sacro Bosco Patron

Verylittlefishes
    How?

^ Top  
  13. Shrimp Learned

Shrimp
    I'm personally not a fan of the game apparently having crafting and crafting materials. More often than not I feel like RPGs with crafting don't offer enough rewards/items/unlocks to warrant the game having 5000 loot containers with 5000 different materials you need to keep track of.
    Apparently Sekiro had crafting, but I skipped that game since at the time it was released I was still burned out from FROM games after finishing Dark Souls 3. How's the crafting in Sekiro? I figure that Elden Ring's crafting system likely will be somewhat similar to that of Sekiro since it's their most recently released game.

^ Top  
  14. Lutte Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Lutte
    Played DS2 on release before they nerfed faith builds to the ground and I happened to play a faith build. It's had to put into words how OP faith was before the nerfs. Lightning spear made you a better sorcerer than sorcerers.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. Multidirectional Arcane

Multidirectional
    No, it's just an upgrade system. You use materials for prosthetics upgrade tree.

^ Top  
  16. Cat Dude Learned

Cat Dude
    What apparent is they are still terrible at animating facial expression. Also they always go for similar art style that even Sekiro seems like a spider with long thin arms.

^ Top  
  17. Shrimp Learned

Shrimp
    So it's just like in all the other Souls games? In that case I suppose the "crafting system with materials" part very well just could mean the exact same thing. That's a relief.

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. fork Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

fork
    :decline:

Also, art style is disappointing, since it basically looks like DS 3.
    And that horse jumppad in the trailer, wtf?

^ Top  
  19. Lutte Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Lutte
    I beg to differ, the color palette actually has more than brown shit and snownigger white for once.

^ Top  
  20. Shrimp Learned

Shrimp
    To be fair it's not only about the colours, but also about the designs in general. I can't quite describe how but since the PS4 games FROM has had a very distinctive way of designing NPC and enemy models. If you showed me these pictures from the Elden Ring trailer and told me they were from Dark Souls 3 I'd definitely believe it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 7
    ^ Top  
  21. Machocruz Arcane

Machocruz
    Easy. Uncannily gangly limbs, narrow shoulders (for people), tiny heads, often look emaciated or dessicated. Really quite ugly imo, and weird. Not in a good way.

I thought it was just for Bloodborne, to give it it's own idiosyncratic look. Then they brought it back for DS3 and I was like fuck me this is Muhzaki's signature style now, isn't it?

^ Top  
  22. Verylittlefishes Sacro Bosco Patron

Verylittlefishes
    Ooooòooooo

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    • Equip the Ring Equip the Ring x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Jaedar Arcane Patron

Jaedar
    Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Based on the trailer: not any more fun than in ds3. Spamming soul arrows is really old. I wish the cool spells were viable in any way, but that is not the way of from.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. MoistCloister Erudite

MoistCloister

• Funny Funny x 4
    ^ Top  
  25. agris Arcane Patron

agris
    Half the point of these mole-poppers is graphics, right?

Then what the hell are they thinking giving it PS4 graphics. The chunky hair, low resolution textures everywhere... and I play games on hardware that is 7 to 10 years old!

[​IMG]

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 7
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.