Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Cheesedragon117

Educated
Leyndell Catacombs made me laugh out loud. FromSoft, you bastards. :lol:

This dungeon has two identical layers (actually, three, but the third one is pretty small), and it's not the first dungeon with this gimmick that I have encountered, but in this one the transition between layers is completely seamless (in the previous catacombs with this gimmick, you had to teleport between layers via magic chests).

But the funny part is that they put a bunch of dead enemies in the second layer that closely match what a (thorough) player would leave behind, to trick you. They even put a second omen "grieving" over the copy of the body of the first omen that you had killed. :lol:

Also, the boss of these catacombs is a wizard who is clearly a follower of Mohg. Maybe the Mohg illusion guarding the entrance to the Frenzied Flame dungeon really was put there by him, and not by Morgott as I had thought...

The clues are very open to interpretation.
I think the whole illusion thing is just a special power exclusive to the royal Omens. Morgott uses it to keep tabs on things outside of the capital (like us), Mohg uses it to proselytize and spread his message further.

As for the Mohg illusion's placement, I think the Omen brothers were able to agree on one thing before they left their birthplace, and went their separate ways: The Three Fingers need to be sealed away forever. That's why the entrance to the Frenzied Flame Proscription is blocked off by Morgott's magic, if he's still alive when you get there.

Odoryuk

Literate
This dungeon surprised me, like a lot of other tombs/caves/mines.
I never understood the hate for copypasted dungeons. Yes, some of them are pretty short/simple and devoid of any gimmick, but these dungeons are just like goblins. If you want a good and diverse adventure, you gotta have your goblins, mixed with occasional beholders and pit fiends. And that one particular dungeon easily is a tarrasque.
If every dungeon was trying too hard to be gimmicky, that would made the game way worse.

Skinwalker

*teleports within you*
Patron
The Frenzied Flame chamber has an illusory wall that opens into Darkroot Depths?!?!

How tf is any normal player expected to find an illusory wall in a place where you can't swing your weapon? Who was that one crazy person that dodge-rolled into every wall in that place to see if they're illusory or not?

Cheesedragon117

Educated
Using Margit or Mohg's Shackles any time you get suspicious also helps. They dispel any and all Illusory Walls in a very wide radius.

I'll be honest, I'm pretty sure Fextralife spoiled me on this one, so I can't speak on how difficult on how it would've been to find naturally.

Caim

Arcane
The Frenzied Flame chamber has an illusory wall that opens into Darkroot Depths?!?!

How tf is any normal player expected to find an illusory wall in a place where you can't swing your weapon? Who was that one crazy person that dodge-rolled into every wall in that place to see if they're illusory or not?
Just check all the writing on the floor.

Odoryuk

Literate
NPC safe areas, along with magic plot armour for Roderica and some other NPSs is the most stupid thing in ER and one of the very few elements that scream that they were added to cater to general gaming public.

Inability to attack during dialogues should be enough to prevent new players to accidentally harm NPCs.

Skinwalker

*teleports within you*
Patron
NPCs should be non-attackable at all times. Like, your weapon should just pass through them without interaction, and with no acknowledgment by the NPC. It didn't really happen. That way there would be no need for enforced tranquility areas.

If you want to attack a non-hostile NPC, you should have to use a special item that enables that function for a few minutes. Call it "thorns of derangement", give it unlimited uses and put it right next to the pointless item that kills you and deletes your souls/bloods/runes if you use it, which they have in every soulsgame for some reason.

Odoryuk

Literate
NPCs should be non-attackable at all times. Like, your weapon should just pass through them without interaction, and with no acknowledgment by the NPC. It didn't really happen.
Having magical safe areas is still better than NPCs breaking basic rules of interaction in the game, at least magical safe zones are explained and exist in the game's world.

Skinwalker

*teleports within you*
Patron
NPCs should be non-attackable at all times. Like, your weapon should just pass through them without interaction, and with no acknowledgment by the NPC. It didn't really happen.
Having magical safe areas is still better than NPCs breaking basic rules of interaction in the game, at least magical safe zones are explained and exist in the game's world.
NPCs should have their own rules. You can explain it as a world-wide magical tranquility aura that prevents sentient beings from harming each other unless they use a special magical item that suspends it temporarily.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom