Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Good Old Games
Donate to Codex
News Content Gallery About Donate Discord Contact
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

perfectslumbers

Scholar
You could always just skip this part if you really hate the direction things are going so much.
In a decade or two I'll be like the fans of the Pokemon games, complaining about Dark souls 32's boring open world or the way they clearly just rehashed a dark souls 19 boss. Meanwhile I'll buy each From release on the first day and play each game for 180 hours. This is my fate, this is my future, and I have accepted it.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
They've been alternating between a safe game and an experimental game for a while now. DS2 - safe. Bloodborne - experiment. DS3 - safe. Sekiro - experiment. Elden Ring - safe. The next game will probably be something unexpected that breaks the formula more.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Bloodborne wasn't really an experiment. It was using a successful and a popular gameplay formula, and was THE game Sony was banking on to sell PS4.

Wunderbar

Arcane
I don't know what it was so experimental about Bloodborne.

No shields, nor armor, no poise, less weapons/magic variety, less attributes? But that's just streamlining, it happens everywhere.
Rally mechanic, focus on an aggressive playstyle? Making a slow and methodical game more actiony cannot be considered experimental, if anything it's the opposite.
Different setting? Then you can consider The Last of Us to be an experimental title, because it has a different setting from Uncharted.

Bloodborne is Dark Souls (already a highly successful game), but edgier, more streamlined, and with production values thanks to Sony's money.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Despite the changes in mechanics, Bloodborne played it rather safe indeed. Aside from struggling at the beginning against Gascoigne, getting used to the mechanics (the most useful parry of souls games in particular), and Ebrietas kicking my arse, the rest of the game felt like a breeze to play - talking of the main game only, not the dlc, never got to experience it, never will, played on PSNow streaming and I ain't buying a ps4 just for a single game -.

I always disagree with the sentiment that DS3 is BB's fault because BB never gave me rage moments the way shield spear lothric knights, boreal outriders, pus of man and many other things did.
One solace about BB eliminating the shields from the game is that it's not only the player that loses the shield, you don't get to meet cancer enemies like the shielded lothric either. ER has a few enemies that behave like the worst lothric offenders and I hate this shit with as much passion.
For some reason, I never could pull off using slow weapons or charged attacks in DS3 aside from very specific enemy downtimes, while I used strong attacks a lot in BB.
The health rally mechanic was also immensely helpful.
BB felt like a cohesive, and, as Wunderbar puts it, a streamlined experience. Post-BB games feel like they were made with the same mindset that led to things like SOTFS Iron Keep.

So if anything, I feel DS3 is more daring for including so much rageworthy shit in it. Although, it's being daring for all the wrong reasons.

thelegend

Educated
the-best-elden-ring-memes-dogs-1.jpg

mediocrepoet

En français: poètemédiocre!
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I could be assuming too much, but I always wonder if the people who rage so hard against system nuances introduced in DS2 and DS3 didn't learn to adjust by doing things like... say, two handing weapons so they don't bounce off shields or fighting overly large or spastic enemies while unlocked or using different damage types that can outright delete encounters. Hell, some of the issues in the games can even be resolved by rolling into enemies instead of away from them. There really isn't a bad game in the Soulsborne series, other than possibly Dark Souls 1 which was a serious step down from Demon's Souls. :P

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I could be assuming too much
Yes, you assume too much.

say, two handing weapons so they don't bounce off shields

Very helpful against the spear + shield bash spam of a particular variety of lothric shit. Right.

fighting overly large or spastic enemies while unlocked

Been there, done that, doesn't make spastic enemies good design, much less when the gameplay turns into a "spend 15 seconds watching something hit the air, do one action then bug off and watch it squirm again" (lol pus of man)

using different damage types that can outright delete encounters

You don't need different damage types when you use the ultimate damage build.
9ELe4Lg.jpg

That build makes DS3 a lot nicer. I can't imagine the poor sods using ultra greatswords in this.

Hell, some of the issues in the games can even be resolved by rolling into enemies instead of away from them.

How do you think one survives Gascoigne's phase 2 in bloodborne? if that was a gripe of mine I wouldn't elevate bloodborne on a pedestal yet shit on DS3 for being the half assed mess that it is.

Typical fromnut defense "lul git gud" muhazaki did nuffin wrong

mediocrepoet

Patron
Yes, light curved swords being dual wielded are so ultimate they have trouble with "guy with a shield". So leet.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Guard break, it worked fine in proper souls games, where enemies didn't spam 100 hours of spear thrust and immediate shield bash on being approached.

DS3 enemy design is immensely retarded and defending it makes you just as inane.

mediocrepoet

Patron
Guard break, it worked fine in proper souls games, where enemies didn't spam 100 hours of spear thrust and immediate shield bash on being approached.

DS3 enemy design is immensely retarded and defending it makes you just as inane.

Okily dokily. You ever use anything in the game that wasn't super light dex weapons? I mean, beating the crap out of what's basically a nun in a robe with light blades isn't really the same thing, is it? Like you're self reflective enough to understand how retarded you sound, right?

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

Okily dokily. You ever use anything in the game that wasn't super light dex weapons? I mean, beating the crap out of what's basically a nun in a robe with light blades isn't really the same thing, is it? Like you're self reflective enough to understand how retarded you sound, right?

Yeah because slowass weapons are the superior choice in a game where you have very little time between enemy spaz combos. You were dropped on the head as a kid.

mediocrepoet

Patron

Yeah because slowass weapons are the superior choice in a game where you have very little time between enemy spaz combos. You were dropped on the head as a kid.

You're the one who couldn't figure out how to play DS3, but ok, I'm the retard. :lol:

mediocrepoet

Patron
You're the one who couldn't figure out how to play DS3, but ok, I'm the retard. :lol:
Oh we finally got to the point where somebody not liking something about a Souls game just means they need to git gud xd

It's not about not liking something, it's about whining how one handed light blades bounce off shields is bad design. I mean... ok. Usually I expect fighting a tower shield with a dagger to go super well too.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz

To be fair, slow ass heavy weapons still work in ER.. Just gotta adjust to breaking the enemy stance instead of quick R1 attacks

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
It's not about not liking something, it's about whining how one handed light blades bounce off shields is bad design.

But I never said anything about bouncing off. I am saying they broke the usefulness of guard breaking, you know, forward r1, by making these enemies also spam thrust and shield bash so hard you can't even pull off the move. If you're going to make mechanics uselesss cut them off the game.

And no, heavier weapons are definitely not the superior option when the vast majority of the game outside of those enemies are a total spaz and I've never had any issue melting bosses like acid with this set.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

To be fair, slow ass heavy weapons still work in ER.. Just gotta adjust to breaking the enemy stance instead of quick R1 attacks
We were talking ds3, I think they're a little more viable in ER, mostly the jump attack, but it's still a bore dealing with the lothric clones.
Obnoxious design is obnoxious.

mediocrepoet

Patron
It's not about not liking something, it's about whining how one handed light blades bounce off shields is bad design.

But I never said anything about bouncing off. I am saying they broke the usefulness of guard breaking, you know, forward r1, by making these enemies also spam thrust and shield bash so hard you can't even pull off the move. If you're going to make mechanics uselesss cut them off the game.

And no, heavier weapons are definitely not the superior option when the vast majority of the game outside of those enemies are a total spaz and I've never had any issue melting bosses like acid with this set.

Yeah, the quicker speed of the game definitely reduced the viability of that particular move. To be fair, I figured it was the deflection mechanic that was bugging you because it seemed to me that it was more present in DS3 than it had seemed to be in my recollections of the earlier games. Anyway, I didn't mind them too much, I just started using heavier weapons two handed against the shields and using that to guard break them by hammering them down. You didn't even need to use an overly heavy or slow weapon, you could even two hand a small weapon to do it, just not single handed/dual wielding. I adjust my expectations to what the game is presenting instead of trying to dogmatically follow what worked in prior games. Crazy, I know.

Top Bottom