Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
If you want "challenge" then run around naked with a melee weapon. This is going to be about 300 times more fun than trying to make shitty spells work.

Wunderbar

Arcane
The basics don't matter much. What matters is how broken a weapon art is. Speaking of, can we agree "Weapon Arts" are pure decline and should be purged from the formula altogether for the next installments?
I have the opposite opinion, they should go full Nioh and allow us to have multiple weapon arts equipped at the same time.
Nope. The impact of Weapon Arts is undeniable decline.
DaS1's pvp was a backstab clusterfuck but DaS2's pvp was quite good.
DaS3's pvp was all about R1 spamming but it is where the weapon arts faggotry started and now - in ER - pvp is all about weapon arts faggotry.
Nobody is thinking about positioning or other tactics, it's just weapon arts spamming. It's more flashy but it's the same shit as R1 spamming. It's even worse because some weapon arts are completely broken.
by "allowing us to have multiple weapon arts" i didn't mean "having multiple cancerous anime abilities", but rather having a customizable moveset. Sort of like in Dragon's Dogma, where you could put special abilities in specific slots.

The pew pew shit i saw when i checked this series is the reason i haven't played it yet lmao.
I hate spazzy animu shit. Same reason i could never play the Devil May Cry games etc.
weapon arts aren't necessary anime.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
>Nope. The impact of Weapon Arts is undeniable decline.
>DaS1's pvp
>pvp
>PVP

Who cares. don't balance these games around whining pvp fags. Stop acting like these are competitive online games with that shitty netcode and P2P lag. Muh honor duel - connection time out. From has some retarded fanbases but the worst by far is the pvpers.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
>DaS1's pvp
>pvp
>PVP

Who cares. don't balance these games around whining pvp fags. Stop acting like these are competitive online games with that shitty netcode and P2P lag. Muh honor duel - connection time out. From has some retarded fanbases but the worst by far is the pvpers.

I used to enjoy the pvp, but it seemed like the more popular it got, the more retards and cheaters it got to the point that it became not really worth it.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
>DaS1's pvp
>pvp
>PVP

Chill out.

You can whine as much as you want but the reality is that the pvp was and it's one of the main reasons why people flocked to this game/series.

In fact that's the way I've heard about Dark Souls - as the game in which you could invade other players and potentially ruin their day :)

I'm not great at pvp but you cannot have Dark Souls without pvp. It's a fundamental part of the game's DNA.

mediocrepoet

Patron
>DaS1's pvp
>pvp
>PVP

Chill out.

You can whine as much as you want but the reality is that the pvp was and it's one of the main reasons why people flocked to this game/series.

In fact that's the way I've heard about Dark Souls - as the game in which you could invade other players and potentially ruin their day :)

I'm not great at pvp but you cannot have Dark Souls without pvp. It's a fundamental part of the game's DNA.

I agree with this, I just hope they manage to plug the holes that's been allowing various exploits. For the most part, the occasional idiot with infinite health is fine, but the shit where they start putting stuff in your inventory to get you banned, changing your location, and otherwise corrupting your saves is complete bullshit.
Other than that, if the weapon art stuff is as bad as described, that's a pretty severe decline. Even DS3 wasn't that bad for it except a few tryhards that usually got annihilated more or less immediately.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

Yes, to ruin their day. Not to play honor duel with some guy while screaming about game balance.
DeS's pvp was horribly unbalanced. People accepted it as is. DS1 had the twinks one shot people at the undead burg, teaching them to never become human unless they summon people or they themselves make a twink.
DS2 was the most balanced and soul memory was a very good thing, but ultimately it's a one off in the series, an UFO.

DS3 and ER have status effect stuff apply to you through the rolls. Nevermind weapon art, you are never going to get competitive level stuff with those mechanics.

I'm not saying there should be no invasion - in fact, ER removed it from the game and only makes it happen to those who are willing, and it's dumb. I'm saying the whole "I want 1:1 duel and I want them balanced I am the mlg competitor" people like you are cancer, a plague on the earth. This isn't what those games are about and they were never suited for actual competitive shit. The devs shouldn't sacrifice time or PVE builds to make this screeching minority happy.

Sunri

Liturgist
New patch! But I can't find patchnotes any linkers?

Gi1pxAl.png

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I used to enjoy the pvp, but it seemed like the more popular it got, the more retards and cheaters it got to the point that it became not really worth it.

I've invaded 3 times for the Varre's quest. Twice I got ganked by three players just swinging madly at me. Third time I was looking for the host, then he just materialized next to me and suddenly my health went from 1800+ to zero in a second. No idea what happened.

Good thing FS bought the anti-cheat system, worth every penny.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Server maintenance I think. Which makes no sense since it is P2P right?

"The only file that got changed is regulation.bin I think it might be a fix for invisible enemies as this file in the past has been modded by users to fix that bug."

Last edited:

Sunri

Liturgist

I've invaded 3 times for the Varre's quest. Twice I got ganked by three players just swinging madly at me. Third time I was looking for the host, then he just materialized next to me and suddenly my health went from 1800+ to zero in a second. No idea what happened.

Unseen Form is a Sorcery in Elden Ring. Unseen Form makes both your character and horse partially invisible, allowing you to move undetected. (This spell reduces the range at which enemies notice you, allowing you to get the drop on some and completely bypass others. They will still notice you and attack if you get too close, and can still hear your footsteps; also, Unseen Form has no effect on some enemies, such as bosses.)

One of the night sorceries of Sellia, Town of Sorcery. Makes the caster semi-invisible. While on horseback, effect extends to cover the mount. This sorcery can be cast while in motion.

The Sellian assassins considered every option that aided their dirty work.

Maybe he used this?

mediocrepoet

Patron

Yeah, the gank squad stuff is lame. The invisible guy might have been legit though. The two things that occur to me are lag and the hidden body spell is in the game again, I just don't remember what it's called now offhand.

EDIT: What Sunri said above.

Bigg Boss

Arcane

Unseen Form is a Sorcery in Elden Ring. Unseen Form makes both your character and horse partially invisible, allowing you to move undetected. (This spell reduces the range at which enemies notice you, allowing you to get the drop on some and completely bypass others. They will still notice you and attack if you get too close, and can still hear your footsteps; also, Unseen Form has no effect on some enemies, such as bosses.)

One of the night sorceries of Sellia, Town of Sorcery. Makes the caster semi-invisible. While on horseback, effect extends to cover the mount. This sorcery can be cast while in motion.

Maybe he used this?

I love how people assume cheats when it is obvious there are spells that make you invisible in this game. The lag is causing most of the issues that are not exploits in PVP, not hacks. It just reminds me of when I was 7 playing Street Fighter 2 using a fireball and my uncle was like "YOU'RE CHEATING!" or something. Granted I know there are cheats.

mediocrepoet

Patron

Maybe he used this?

I love how people assume cheats when it is obvious there are spells that make you invisible in this game. The lag is causing most of the issues that are not exploits in PVP, not hacks. It just reminds me of when I was 7 playing Street Fighter 2 using a fireball and my uncle was like "YOU'RE CHEATING!" or something. Granted I know there are cheats.

One of the last times (might've been THE last, I don't recall) I pvp'd in DS3 which was last summer sometime, the bastard injected crap into my save file intended to get me banned and completely screw over my single player save. I've seen a few videos on ER pvp that suggest that the problem can be getting worse in a few ways, so it's one of those things. Besides, usually when people say he was invisible then I died, they're assuming cheating. ;)

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Yeah I was just pointing out how early days me and my friend didn't know the spell worked that way and a guy came out of nowhere and it was actually pretty exciting. We were afk taking a piss when the invasions sign came through so the fucker just came out of nowhere! It was cool. I don't mind dying to cool guys.

https://en.bandainamcoent.eu/elden-ring/news/elden-ring-update-notes-103

They rebuffed Radahn. I think that's it from the looks of it.

Someone mentioned the invisible enemy thing too but idk.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The invisible guy might have been legit though. The two things that occur to me are lag and the hidden body spell is in the game again, I just don't remember what it's called now offhand.

Ok it's legit then. But my being instagibbed at 50 Vigor by something mysterious doesn't sound legit at all.

Not sure it was a lag. He just appeared, standing there, then the death swish sounded and I was ded. GG.

mediocrepoet

Patron
The invisible guy might have been legit though. The two things that occur to me are lag and the hidden body spell is in the game again, I just don't remember what it's called now offhand.

Ok it's legit then. But my being instagibbed at 50 Vigor by something mysterious doesn't sound legit at all.

Hard to say, especially with the misericorde dagger in the game and its 1.4 crit modifier. A +10 1.3 chaos dagger used to explode people pretty hard in DS3 on crits. People would swap to it when they wanted to end a guy right there.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
There's no need to use external cheats when the game has broken mechanics (ie not intended, and will be soon patched I believe) that allow for things like this too :

The trick to this video is carrian retaliation. It casts glinstone blades over your head that deal massive damage, far more than the real spell (yet again an example of why spellcasting is garbage and INT builds should use weapons). The broken part is that you can trigger the parry on your own spell, so people use a consumable that casts a slow spell and immediately parry it. Then you just walk onto someone, who can't see the blades over your head (they are not supposed to be invisible) because it's a bugged cast, and they get one shot dead.

Silva

Arcane
The basics don't matter much. What matters is how broken a weapon art is. Speaking of, can we agree "Weapon Arts" are pure decline and should be purged from the formula altogether for the next installments?
I have the opposite opinion, they should go full Nioh and allow us to have multiple weapon arts equipped at the same time.
Nope. The impact of Weapon Arts is undeniable decline.
DaS1's pvp was a backstab clusterfuck but DaS2's pvp was quite good.
DaS3's pvp was all about R1 spamming but it is where the weapon arts faggotry started and now - in ER - pvp is all about weapon arts faggotry.
Nobody is thinking about positioning or other tactics, it's just weapon arts spamming. It's more flashy but it's the same shit as R1 spamming. It's even worse because some weapon arts are completely broken.
by "allowing us to have multiple weapon arts" i didn't mean "having multiple cancerous anime abilities", but rather having a customizable moveset. Sort of like in Dragon's Dogma, where you could put special abilities in specific slots.

The pew pew shit i saw when i checked this series is the reason i haven't played it yet lmao.
I hate spazzy animu shit. Same reason i could never play the Devil May Cry games etc.
weapon arts aren't necessary anime.
Fuck weapon arts. This series began with grounded physics and combat and if anything the decline began with DS3 and its weapon arts. The only weapon arts that should exist are called "weapon movesets" including the shield kicks, ripostes and flowery scimitar dodge of old. Go back to DS2 and re-increment from there, give me more fundamental moves tied to weapons categories - shoulder pushes, sidesteps, flurries, etc and make enemies interact accordingly. Give enemies (hidden) stamina bars and make rolls stamina ineffective or better yet, swap it entirely for a realistic quickstep dodge with little to no i-frames, etc, etc, etc.

Otherwise this shit can die in a fire for all I care.

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Ok I changed my mind, STR builds are actually good in this but the investment before it gets any good is significant you and simply must colossal weapons and good armor (and thus its actually an STR/END build)

Secondly while some have complained about the lack of care given to the colossal swords, I actually think they've done quite a good job here. By mid game you will probably have access to the zweihander, the guts greatsword and the grafted greatsword.

By midgame? I beelined Zwei and then Greatsword - had both before reaching Stormveil. Before doing much of anything, really.

Zwei felt kinda weak, though. Really feel the difference in poise damage between it and other colossal swords.
And all collosals get the nice crouch/roll stab.

Greatsword is good troughout, though. Good damage, great range. The ability to customize it with weapon damages and Weapon Arts is really sweet.
Been using Cold the most, but Fire is very nice also (particularly with Flame, Grant me Strenght) and its good as Heavy also.
Bloodhound's Step gives you lovely mobility nearly without animations and instant i-frames on-demand.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom