Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
News Content Gallery About Donate Discord Contact
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I just started Demon's Souls as Wanderer and I already want to restart as the Royal or knight.

The wanderer is the first class I finished Demon's with. The falchion is awesome. :cry:
Ok I will give it a shot. I wager you did not stand there with a shield the whole game so I can trust your opinion tee hee.

Haha, well, it was a long time ago on the PS3 when the game first released in NA. What I will say is that DeS cares about damage type at least as much as Elden Ring and possibly even more so. So the falchion's slashing damage won't be favourable everywhere and will actively screw you in a few places, so remember to find viable alternative damage types.
Where the fuck are the bonfires lol?

mediocrepoet

En français: poètemédiocre!
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

There aren't any. Get to the boss and defeat it. Unlocked shortcuts stay unlocked. Finish the area or die trying. :obviously:

Bigg Boss

Arcane

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
There's been a pronounced shift in the Souls series, from Demon's Souls to Elden Ring, in terms of how long players are expected to survive:

Demon's Souls only has archstones at the beginning/end of each level that permits transportation back to the Nexus. There are shortcuts that can be opened, to varying extents, but you need to traverse the level to open those shortcuts; for example, the very first level, that must be completed before any others, requires traversal of nearly the entire level in one go in order to open the portcullis to the boss fight, which is right in front of the starting archstone.

Dark Souls introduced bonfires at which the player can rest, although the number of them was fairly low and teleportation between them was only acquired halfway through the game. Still, this reduced demands on the player to surviving a section of a level, until the next bonfire or shortcut leading back to a previous bonfire.

Dark Souls 2 increased the number of bonfires and allowed teleportation between bonfires from the beginning (somewhat by necessity, since the world was not interconnected in the manner of Dark Souls).

Dark Souls 3 further increased the number of bonfires to an almost ludicrous degree, reducing still more the proportion of a level that a player must survive before reaching safety.

Elden Ring not only contains a vast number of bonfires sites of grace, with teleportation to them permitted from nearly anywhere when not too close to an enemy, but also has stakes of Marika for closer respawning to boss fights and some other encounters. Furthermore, the game often restores health and focus point flasks when defeating enemies. The challenge becomes more about surviving a single fight or encounter zone. :M

mediocrepoet

En français: poètemédiocre!
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Do you think the national anthem of the Lands Between is "Marika, Fuck Yeah!"?

I want you guys to duel.

mediocrepoot is a human marshmallow...

how is there still no plane tickets bitch thread for mediocre and porky

Well, mediocrepoot would have to suggest it, since I am just enjoying myself, butthurting him and his boys. Then he would have to pay for njcluck, dim-dull, and zed doink of banville to back him up, since they can only take on Porky in numbers, kinda like jackals snipping at a lion's ankles. Or any dragon fight in ER...

By the time mediocrepoot has re-financed his hovel to fund this expedition, they would all arrive and realize that I didn't even take them seriously enough to go there. Which I imagine would make them even more butthurt...

Now that porky has finally made an ass of himself for (hopefully) the last time in this thread, I want to remember you all how it all started:

Uh, by beating this game that you idiots think actually takes skill? Lol...

It's funny how some people say "Elden Ring is so easy", while others say "ER is insanely difficult". Until you realize that the former are playing with summons, OP weapons/builds, after following streamers'/online guides, etc, while the latter are trying to play it like an actual aRPG.

But I guess in 2022, Codex is ok with that kind of shit. Soon, the "RTFM" of the 80s/90s will turn into "WTFSF (watch the fucking streamer first)". :negative:
Of all his shit takes that show how he understands nothing about this game and (probably) life in general, this is still the funniest to me. I love how the curse that makes everything he says untrue struck him once again, and in the end he, the one who said "ER is insanely difficult", turned out to be the one to use summons, OP weapons, and online guides. Sometimes I wonder if he sees how reality contradicts every single thing he says.

I guess you are really bad at reading comprehension, my slow friend. Everything I said there is still 100% true. I tried (and succeeded) at playing ER as a proper RPG up until Godskin Duo or so. At that point, I realized the designers aren't really being serious, and countered their cheese with my own. How does that negate anything I've said? ER is very easy with cheese, and next to impossible without. Good god man, take some reading lessons so I won't have to keep embarrassing you here.

Took out Radagon and his bedroom pet Elden Breast by maximum amount of cheese. I mean I did it all here people, switched to Fingerprint Shield for max holy damage negation, summoned a mimic tear, applied fire grease to weapon (it does really good things to Elden Breast). For bonus points, watch Porky sit on the throne as he rightfully deserves at the end, after completing yet another difficult game:
Try rolling next time

Nah, got bored of rolling after completing DaS3.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
It's not a broken mess. Should you play it? You are in Israel so you might appreciate all the El references.

As El Grande Jefe says, it's not broken at all. Other than some stutter issues, it's a very polished game. The problem is it's a giant open world aRPG with absolute shit combat, lot of asset re-use, and horribly obscure quests and storylines.

Caim

Arcane
What about on PC? Also, any good torrents that support multiplayer?
Elden Ring's got an excellent torrent.

1645884502_Elden-Ring-paard-mount-Alles-wat-je-moet-weten-over.jpg

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Lmao, i totally cheesed the Wyrm in Volcano Manor with spells.

Enough is enough of this shit.

Onward to the fatso.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I'm Ridin' with Biden I'm Ridin' with Biden

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I don't doubt that a quick katana might be more damaging. But I don't find colossal swords lacking with their huge Poise damage and enemy stagger.
Just so you know, according to the wiki a fully charged R2 on a colossal sword does 40 poise damage, meanwhile the Unsheate L2->R2 does 30 while being much faster and almost as damaging
rating_negativeman.png
I don't think the wiki is very accurate with poise dmg values. Unsheathe is not that great for posture damage. I remember testing a bunch of posture-damaging weapon arts on the omen in capital underground and unsheathe was the only one among them that did not posture break in 2 casts. Comparatively Square off, lion's claw (lion's claw pancakes enemies as well), Flame of the redmanes, impaling thrust, glintstone pebble and many others all poise broke the omen in 2 casts. And I don't even mention the pure damage AoW like sword dance which can be slotted on greataxes or halberds. Unsheathe is fine but I don't think it's as amazing as people make it out to be.
Interesting. When testing stuff against Bell Bearing Hunter, the Colossal Sword would poise break him in two charged R2 and a Lion's Claw, while the Uchigatana did it in two charged R2 and two Unsheathe, suggesting it is indeed 40 and 30 respectively. (or it might have been two hits for the Colossal and three from the Uchi, not sure but same ratio)

Lion's Claw is certainly my favourite though, because of its good range, fast movement and crouched position at the end that makes enemy attacks miss and significant hyperarmour all make it a greatly reliable trading tool.

Also static Poise damage values for whole weapon categories seem skewed on a fundamental level. For me different colossal swords have different Poise damage values/multipliers.
For example a Zweihander clearly has far less stagger potential then a Greatsword. And I think there are likely moveset factors/multipliers also.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
The open world Ulcerated Tree Spirit in Mt Gelmir was funny, because for the first time i was able to actually see wtf he does lol.

Last edited:

Vibalist

Arcane
We need to have a discussion about how Elden Stars is the worst fucking spell in any FromSoft game ever. And if we have already had that discussion, we need to have it again:

Diablo1_reborn

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
We need to have a discussion about how Elden Stars is the worst fucking spell in any FromSoft game ever. And if we have already had that discussion, we need to have it again:

For the most times, they balance shit for PvE, and sometimes ... they do for PvP.

The fact that they still not going the Guild Wars 1 route of balancing skills for PvE and PvP seperately is evidence of incapacity of the highest magnitude.

Last edited:

Suicidal

Arcane
Finally finished it at 123 hours.

I played a faith caster/melee hybrid although I spent most of the game just melee-ing and spamming weapon arts.

Game is great but I greatly disliked some of its parts. It's been said many times already but the open world dilutes the experience way too much and combined with the fact that you pretty much stop seeing new enemy types after Caelid makes the second half of the game a boring slog with occasional moments of excellence like Leyndell.

Most major bosses were fun but I think they would be more fun in a different game, where your character is faster and has more defensive options. In this game your character is a disabled person that runs out of breath after two swings but you keep fighting powerful godlike enemies that fly/teleport all over the place, wield weapons twice your size, do 10 hit combo after 10 hit combo, yet they keep losing to this dude whose only superpower is a barrel roll that makes him phase out of existence for half a second. This makes every fight feel like this weird unrealistic situation where I feel like I won not because my character bested the enemy through superior skill but because he went through a choreographed circus performance that involved barrel rolling through obstacles for 2 minutes or something.

My favorite boss was Morgott. It was the only boss in the game that I felt some sort of narrative connection with. It was cool to have a re-match with a pretty fun early game boss that gets a lot of new moves and tools. Reminded me of Vergil from DMC3. Still have no idea why he hates you so much and why he wants you dead but I have never cared for From's "Zanzibart, forgive me" style of storytelling and I don't think I ever will. The fight itself was very good, Morgott is very aggressive and it is hard to find an opening but at the same time he didn't have any bullshit nearly unavoidable moves like some of the later fights.

Shittiest boss (not counting all the endless re-skins and normal trash mobs the game sometimes pretends are boss fights) was the Fire Giant, because 95% of the fight consisted of either running after him or standing under him and left clicking his ankle.

Hardest boss was Malenia. Seems to be a popular choice, I've seen even veteran Souls speedrunners spend several hours trying to beat her. 80% of the difficulty of the boss is just one move though, I think we all know which one. Because of that the fight felt a little bit like RNG - my chances of success each run decreased proportionately with how many times that move was used. In my winning run, in her 2nd phase she didn't use the move at all and all I did was unga bunga jump attack that stunned her every 4-5 hits.

Favorite area was Leyndell, although I really enjoyed all of the big dungeon areas except Radhan's castle, which was dogshit. Feels like they forgot to properly design it or something. It was less complex that the smaller optional castle areas you find in each zone and when I arrived the festival was happening so there were no enemies and none of the locked doors were interactable and the only way to get around the castle was to use teleporters. When I first saw this, I legitimately thought my game was bugged.

So overall, even though the game was fun, it feels like a step back in some ways from Sekiro, which I enjoyed more because it was a much more tightly focused and better designed experience that didn't overstay its welcome. It's unfortunate that so many people praise Elden Ring as some perfect 10/10 masterpiece, so we will definitely be getting an Elden Ring 2, which will most likely have all of the same problems because the fanboys will eat it up regardless. Still, as far as AAA releases go, this is the best (or rather, the only good one) we got in years.

Last edited:

cretin

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Douchebag! Possibly Retarded Edgy
everyone should subscribe to and watch jeenine's vids on youtube if they want to understand just how busted the PVP is in this. He's a legendary sperg of the DS3 PVP scene. The game being similar to DS3 in the broad strokes and his skill level being so high he still wins almost all of the time even when outnumbered 3 v 1, but it's interesting to see a guy who is very good at the game just be completely disgusted with it and rail on all the many ways in which it is just a major step back and lacking any sense of balance whatsoever.

Suicidal

Arcane

Offensive spell balance in general is trash in this game. Not sure about int spells, but I tried a lot of different faith spells over the course of the game and few things beat out simply chucking the black fireball which you unlock in the first zone.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Top Bottom