Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Caim

Arcane
Lmao Ubisoft towers. Why even use those.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
only breath of the wild does ubisoft tower right. it reveals the map, but doesn't reveals anything else, instead the tower provide natural vantage points and you can "mark" your own tag on the map by photographing the actual point of interest that you can see from the tower.

Caim

Arcane
The best way to include the concept behind Ubisoft Towers is to do something like a mix of what Guild Wars 2 did with it's scouts and vistas, paired with Breath of the Wild. Have natural vantage points at the top of waterfalls, hills, cliffs and even the top of buildings. Finding one lets you see what's nearby and lets you place your own markers, or do away with the markers and make you find your own way.

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
So there is a structure that find every place in the world map and you have fast travel? What a fucking way to decline and create a shitty open world experience. Damn... Miyazaki... what did you do...

Sentinel

Arcane
He didn't do anything, as he's busy on the next FromSoft game. Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, Bloodborne and Sekiro are his directed games (with Sekiro having Bloodborne's lead gameplay designer as Miyazaki's right hand). By the time Sekiro wrapped development ER was already deep in development - Miyazaki has nothing to do with it. We already know the DS2 director is in charge of Elden Ring, after having directed a large portion of Dark Souls 3 & its DLCs.

Sentinel

Arcane
By the time Sekiro wrapped development ER was already deep in development - Miyazaki has nothing to do with it.

Do you have a source for that from deep within FS or you're just guessing?
I don't have a source, I'm just guessing based on the pattern thus far.
Dark Souls - Miyazaki
Dark Souls 2 - Tanimura
Bloodborne - Miyazaki
Dark Souls 3 - Tanimura
Sekiro - Miyazaki
Elden Ring - ?

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The fact that Miyazaki doesn't steer a game directly doesn't mean he "has nothing to do with it". He is obviously calling the big picture shots for all games he's overseeing, now that he's a studio CEO.

Sentinel

Arcane
If that's how you want to cope be my guest. I'm sure many will consider Elden Ring game of the decade regardless of the actual game's quality as long as it has Miyazaki's name used in Bamco marketing after all.

Axecack

Literate
PvP was fun and a great idea because it added tension to already dangerous areas. The problem began when FROM started listening to PvPfags about balance issues, and started to remove things that were fun in PvE, so they could have maybe a slightly less shitty multiplayer melee fighting game.

Souls is a PvE with fun multiplayer ingredients, so PvE should always come first.
Yeah I agree with this. So many fun weapons and spells get nerfed to appease the PVP crowd. And it is clearly the multiplayer that is the direct cause. Just look at Sekiro if you don't believe me. It's been out for several years now and have there been any nerfs? Nope. None whatsoever.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
lol no, they absolutely nerfed the shit out of certain combat arts in Sekiro. In fact right now I feel like the combat arts are kinda useless, and they weren't before the last rounds of patching.

Dark Souls 2 had many nerfs that were clearly unrelated to PVP, I mean your amount of lightning spears would never affect a duel and it's unusable anyway in PVP. Also when they upped the resistances so much in the DLC areas making sorceries and miracles virtually useless it changed nothing about PVP either since it wasn't changing anything on your player character but rather making monsters and bosses impervious to your spells.

Villagkouras

Arcane
Watchtowers are a great opportunity for a vertical dungeon, with a cool boss, not only a place for acrobatics. FROM has its chance to offer something new to the genre.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Dark Souls - Miyazaki
Dark Souls 2 - Tanimura
Bloodborne - Miyazaki
Dark Souls 3 - Tanimura
Sekiro - Miyazaki
Elden Ring - ?
Listen... you need to be more specific: are they going to fix poise or not? I don't give a flying fuck who does it. :lol:

Sentinel

Arcane
Dark Souls - Miyazaki
Dark Souls 2 - Tanimura
Bloodborne - Miyazaki
Dark Souls 3 - Tanimura
Sekiro - Miyazaki
Elden Ring - ?
Listen... you need to be more specific: are they going to fix poise or not? I don't give a flying fuck who does it. :lol:
Poise will never be fixed as long as the games are designed with iframes being the optimal defense mechanism. There is zero reason for a player (and a developer) to care about poise in a game where dodging makes you invulnerable to every attack.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Poise will never be fixed as long as the games are designed with iframes being the optimal defense mechanism. There is zero reason for a player (and a developer) to care about poise in a game where dodging makes you invulnerable to every attack.

There was nothing wrong with poise in DS1 or DS2. The actual reason they broke poise in DS3 was to prevent Havel monsters and such. And that's only a thing because of invasions. Same for the laughable armor "solution". If PvE and PvP weren't smushed together you wouldn't need to endlessly mess with "balancing", accomplishing nothing in the end.

The only way to fix poise and armor is to excise PvP from the base game and move it to a separate Arena mode or some such.

Sentinel

Arcane

There was nothing wrong with poise in DS1 or DS2. The actual reason they broke poise in DS3 was to prevent Havel monsters and such. And that's only a thing because of invasions. Same for the laughable armor "solution". If PvE and PvP weren't smushed together you wouldn't need to endlessly mess with "balancing", accomplishing nothing in the end.

The only way to fix poise and armor is to excise PvP from the base game and move it to a separate Arena mode or some such.
There was plenty wrong with poise in DS1. It was worthless in PvE and the only reason it saw use in PvP was because the networking is so garbage that timing iframe dodges is unreliable with how laggy everything is. If you know how to play Dark Souls (ie. if you know how to time the dodge button to the rhythm of enemy attacks), Poise is an irrelevant system that you don't need to worry about at all.

They should make Poise only work while you're in an attack animation, and turn it into a tiered system where each tier determines what type of attacks can interrupt you if you're hit during that animation. I think this is more or less what they did in DS3, but if I remember right, each weapon also had its own poise/hyperarmor value which fucked the whole thing up.

You're right that Dark Souls 2 fixed poise, but it was largely because it made iframes less reliable (partially dogshit hitboxes, partially introduction of adaptability stat).

They should honestly just reduce iframes massively and introduce other defensive options - poise being one of them.

Cromwell

Arcane
If you know how to play Dark Souls (ie. if you know how to time the dodge button to the rhythm of enemy attacks), Poise is an irrelevant system that you don't need to worry about at all.

The point is that its just another way to play, which isnt present anymore. It doesnt matter if you think its worthless because you dont want to play that way. Fuck your balance and let me be a unmoveable object with a big club.

Sentinel

Arcane
If you know how to play Dark Souls (ie. if you know how to time the dodge button to the rhythm of enemy attacks), Poise is an irrelevant system that you don't need to worry about at all.

The point is that its just another way to play, which isnt present anymore. It doesnt matter if you think its worthless because you dont want to play that way. Fuck your balance and let me be a unmoveable object with a big club.
Being an immovable object with a big club isn't viable in any of the games except in the Four Kings fight where you cast iron flesh and just facetank him. Any other fight, you're just gimping yourself.

I'm not arguing for the removal of poise. If anything I want them to remove iframes on dodges.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
And if you know how the poise system works, dodging is an irrelevant system that you don't need to worry about at all. And if you know enemy attack ranges, dodging and poise are both irrelevant systems that you don't need to worry about at all. Dumbfuck.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
And if you know how the poise system works, dodging is an irrelevant system that you don't need to worry about at all.
How so? Dodging makes you invincible and avoid all damage.

Bro you make it sound even a newborn baby could play Dark Souls, all it takes is press triangle at the right moment and you always win everything.

It's like going against Mike Tyson - very easy. You just have to dodge all his blows and you're invincible.

Sentinel

Arcane
And if you know how the poise system works, dodging is an irrelevant system that you don't need to worry about at all.
How so? Dodging makes you invincible and avoid all damage.

Bro you make it sound even a newborn baby could play Dark Souls, all it takes is press triangle at the right moment and you always win everything.

It's like going against Mike Tyson - very easy. You just have to dodge all his blows and you're invincible.
I'm replying to someone comparing poise to dodging who's saying that poise removes the need for dodging because it's an equally, if not more, effective defensive option than the latter.

That's simply not true. For Poise to even enter the defense options equation it requires you to get hit and take damage, which already puts it at a massive disadvantage when compared to dodging in a game where 1) healing is limited, 2) bosses hit hard as fuck

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom