Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

deem

Savant
"Player is a normal-sized humanoid, but there are humanoid enemies of various shapes and sizes" was very much a thing in DeS and DS1

Not really answering your question, but regarding enemy size in DS I've read a theory stating that their size is symbolic of their rank/importance to the story. That is why Ornstein and Smough are huge when you fight them, but later you can wear their armor and it fits.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
they want to cater to the BB "fanbase".

The sad reality is that most of the retarded shit plaguing DaS3 and ER can be traced back to Bloodborne.

if they wanted that they could have always done another bloodborne game, what we got instead is knight fantasy with retarded bosses (which werent an issue in BB regardless of how much people cry about that game.

BB franchise doesn't belong to them therefore they tried to replicate BB success in DaS3 and ER ... and financially it worked.

great for from software but honestly, i no longer expect anything from them

my only hopes for the future are dragon's dogma 2 and monster hunter games

Last edited:

Infinitum

Scholar
So anyway, what was even up with the all-female order of "finger maidens" "serving the two fingers"? GRRM pulling a fast one on his japanese editor?

Silva

Arcane
they want to cater to the BB "fanbase".

The sad reality is that most of the retarded shit plaguing DaS3 and ER can be traced back to Bloodborne.

if they wanted that they could have always done another bloodborne game, what we got instead is knight fantasy with retarded bosses (which werent an issue in BB regardless of how much people cry about that game.

BB franchise doesn't belong to them therefore they tried to replicate BB success in DaS3 and ER ... and financially it worked.

great for from software but honestly, i no longer expect anything from them
Sadly, it seems Miyazaki ultimate vision for these games was always the decline we see in ER. DeS, DS1 and BB were just the stepping stones leading to it.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Sadly, it seems Miyazaki ultimate vision for these games was always the decline we see in ER. DeS, DS1 and BB were just the stepping stones leading to it.

Its super meta, galaxy brain, genius design bro!

The game mechanics of the series will slowly descend into pop-a-mole AAA garbage to reflect the underlying philosophical themes of entropy, death and decay within Dark Souls lore.

Don't worry you will understand once we finally get the magnum opus release of Elder Sky Rimjob 69: Battle Royale NFT Crypto MMO RPG Game.

Last edited:

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
The game mechanics of the series will slowly descend into pop-a-mole AAA garbage to reflect the underlying philosophical themes of entropy, death and decay with Dark Souls lore.

Don't worry you will understand once we finally get the magnum opus release of Elder Sky Rimjob 69: Battle Royale NFT Crypto MMO RPG Game.

I don't think so. Elden Ring is a motherfucking cash cow. Here:

Elden Ring outsells Dark Souls 3 with 12 million copies sold
By Hirun Cryer published 8 days ago

FromSoftware's latest is off to a flying start

https://www.gamesradar.com/elden-ring-outsells-dark-souls-3-with-12-million-copies-sold/#:~:text=Elden Ring has already outsold,copies being sold in Japan.

Elden Ring has the potential to be the long awaited "Skyrim killer". Twelve million copies on a month old game means it's well within the realm of possibility ER beating Skyrim's record of "30 million copies by 2016". Say what you will about souls games, but at their very core they didn't change all that much since DS1. From has a pretty "conservative" approach to their changes and ER proved the whole "no more souls games" Miyazaki announced back in 2016 was a huge mistake. ER doesn't suffer from trying to adopt another game's identity (like FEAR 2, for instance), it suffers from a serious case of enjoying the smell of your own farts. What it means is that there will be no more Sekiros, Bloodbornes or whatever else, Miyazaki said "no more Dark Souls" and the "community" screeched "NOOOOOOOOO give us Dark Souls 4, we want Dark Souls 4!!!!" -> 2022 "fine, here's Dark Souls 4. Btw, it's your Skyrim-Dork Souls bastard child, enjoy" -> happy consoomer face -> RIVERS of money flow into From's coffers.

What I think is that their next game will be Dark Souls 5, then 6, then 7 and so on. Milking successful franchises is nothing new to japs eg Final Fantasy, Tekken. The game will only "improve" in the direction pointed out by its community, but longstanding issues will never be solved, because the gaymer community told From Software their farts smell of roses. 88% with 276,617 reviews, utterly insane and it will only go up once patches improve the PC port and the review bombing over technical issues become less common. Oh, and I would bet my left nut on the fact that Radahn is merely the first boss to get nerfed to oblivion. More nerfs will follow and less people will be filtered.

Last edited:

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Just out of curiosity, who ITT found these on their own, without the wiki:

- Haligtree medaillon
- Moghwyn Palace
- the Leyndell sewers proper
- Three Fingers sanctum
- the secret boss in Azula
- Jarburg
- figured out the entire Ranni's quest

3 out of 7. The Ranni quest is much shorter than you think.
I will because using the wiki is for fags. Those fags then complain about game being too hard or too easy to figure out.
The net issues in this game really suck ass. My cousin has 100 mpbs internet and I have 30 mpbs internet (on a good day) but it crashes both our games out but then it will work JUSTFINE.

deem

Savant
Call me fabulously optimistic but perhaps the success of Elden Ring will allow From Soft to develop smaller, more innovative games in between the big sequels. After all Sekiro was their last game before ER.

deem

Savant
I don't know if any of you are familiar with Zullie the Witch YT channel. It shows how From Soft games operate under the hood. She just started releasing videos on Elden Ring, and I quite enjoyed her earlier breakdowns of DS3 and Sekiro.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Just out of curiosity, who ITT found these on their own, without the wiki:
Haligtree medaillon
haligtree was easy since there's an NPC who tells you where to find the key. I had to google how to use the medallion, though. Was standing right in front of Rold Elevator not knowing what to do, because I didn't notice that you could switch between "hoist the normal medallion" and "hoist the secret medallion" prompts.

Moghwyn Palace
mohgwyn palace - stumbled upon the teleporter organically while exploring Consecrated snowfields. I actually completed the sidequest from the creepy dude who calls you maidenless before, and received an item that was supposed to teleport you to Mohg as a reward. However, 30 hrs later I completely forgot that I even have that item.

the Leyndell sewers proper
Leyndell sewers - just found it organically.

Three Fingers sanctum
Three fingers sanctum - i thought it would be weird for Mohn The Omen to be the end of the dungeon, so i started rolling into walls to check for illusions.

the secret boss in Azula
Haven't been in Azula yet.

I've noticed that a lot of minidungeons and caves were hidden under cliffs, so I started to check edges of cliffs everywhere and found Jarburg.

figured out the entire Ranni's quest
didn't figure it in its entirety, skipped some beats, and in some cases progressed by accident. For example, I didn't know you could meet Blaidd in Mistwood.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

Lol. Level 333 (important for this test, because ER has this weird system of automatically giving you more defense as you level up), 99 vigor & end, heavy armor and defensive talismans, still getting shredded in seconds by certain dogs.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Btw, it's your Skyrim-Dork Souls bastard child, enjoy" -> happy consoomer face -> RIVERS of money flow into From's coffers.

I mean thats basically what I just said as joke/despair post.

I agree with you completely even though it hurts me deeply to know its true.

We can only pray they wedge in another BB/Sekiro as a kind of side project/break from the main franchise, while we continue to pour 100s of hours into DS/Elden Ring 1 - 69 + all the while crying about it on the Codex.

Jinn

Arcane
while we continue to pour 100s of hours into DS/Elden Ring 1 - 69 + all the while crying about it on the Codex.

You could always just skip this part if you really hate the direction things are going so much.

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
I don't know if any of you are familiar with Zullie the Witch YT channel. It shows how From Soft games operate under the hood. She just started releasing videos on Elden Ring, and I quite enjoyed her earlier breakdowns of DS3 and Sekiro.

A whamen trying to tell me about gaming? Straight on the "Do not recommend list".

:smug:

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
while we continue to pour 100s of hours into DS/Elden Ring 1 - 69 + all the while crying about it on the Codex.

You could always just skip this part if you really hate the direction things are going so much.

I am leaning into the hyperbole a little bit, cos you know, its fun to shitpost and be melodramatic on the Codex. Overall I am having fun with ER and the good outweighs the bad clearly when compared to what else we have to choose from in modern gaming.

But I do wish From had continued more in line with Sekiro and experimentation on their model, rather than serving up the good ol' creaky Souls formula mashed into a generic AAA open world.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
In a decade or two I'll be like the fans of the Pokemon games, complaining about Dark souls 32's boring open world or the way they clearly just rehashed a dark souls 19 boss. Meanwhile I'll buy each From release on the first day and play each game for 180 hours. This is my fate, this is my future, and I have accepted it.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
They've been alternating between a safe game and an experimental game for a while now. DS2 - safe. Bloodborne - experiment. DS3 - safe. Sekiro - experiment. Elden Ring - safe. The next game will probably be something unexpected that breaks the formula more.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Bloodborne wasn't really an experiment. It was using a successful and a popular gameplay formula, and was THE game Sony was banking on to sell PS4.

Wunderbar

Arcane
I don't know what it was so experimental about Bloodborne.

No shields, nor armor, no poise, less weapons/magic variety, less attributes? But that's just streamlining, it happens everywhere.
Rally mechanic, focus on an aggressive playstyle? Making a slow and methodical game more actiony cannot be considered experimental, if anything it's the opposite.
Different setting? Then you can consider The Last of Us to be an experimental title, because it has a different setting from Uncharted.

Bloodborne is Dark Souls (already a highly successful game), but edgier, more streamlined, and with production values thanks to Sony's money.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Despite the changes in mechanics, Bloodborne played it rather safe indeed. Aside from struggling at the beginning against Gascoigne, getting used to the mechanics (the most useful parry of souls games in particular), and Ebrietas kicking my arse, the rest of the game felt like a breeze to play - talking of the main game only, not the dlc, never got to experience it, never will, played on PSNow streaming and I ain't buying a ps4 just for a single game -.

I always disagree with the sentiment that DS3 is BB's fault because BB never gave me rage moments the way shield spear lothric knights, boreal outriders, pus of man and many other things did.
One solace about BB eliminating the shields from the game is that it's not only the player that loses the shield, you don't get to meet cancer enemies like the shielded lothric either. ER has a few enemies that behave like the worst lothric offenders and I hate this shit with as much passion.
For some reason, I never could pull off using slow weapons or charged attacks in DS3 aside from very specific enemy downtimes, while I used strong attacks a lot in BB.
The health rally mechanic was also immensely helpful.
BB felt like a cohesive, and, as Wunderbar puts it, a streamlined experience. Post-BB games feel like they were made with the same mindset that led to things like SOTFS Iron Keep.

So if anything, I feel DS3 is more daring for including so much rageworthy shit in it. Although, it's being daring for all the wrong reasons.

thelegend

Learned
the-best-elden-ring-memes-dogs-1.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom