Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

thelegend

Learned
Elden-Ring-George-R-R-Martin-Meme.jpg

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I could be assuming too much, but I always wonder if the people who rage so hard against system nuances introduced in DS2 and DS3 didn't learn to adjust by doing things like... say, two handing weapons so they don't bounce off shields or fighting overly large or spastic enemies while unlocked or using different damage types that can outright delete encounters. Hell, some of the issues in the games can even be resolved by rolling into enemies instead of away from them. There really isn't a bad game in the Soulsborne series, other than possibly Dark Souls 1 which was a serious step down from Demon's Souls. :P

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I could be assuming too much
Yes, you assume too much.

say, two handing weapons so they don't bounce off shields

Very helpful against the spear + shield bash spam of a particular variety of lothric shit. Right.

fighting overly large or spastic enemies while unlocked

Been there, done that, doesn't make spastic enemies good design, much less when the gameplay turns into a "spend 15 seconds watching something hit the air, do one action then bug off and watch it squirm again" (lol pus of man)

using different damage types that can outright delete encounters

You don't need different damage types when you use the ultimate damage build.
9ELe4Lg.jpg

That build makes DS3 a lot nicer. I can't imagine the poor sods using ultra greatswords in this.

Hell, some of the issues in the games can even be resolved by rolling into enemies instead of away from them.

How do you think one survives Gascoigne's phase 2 in bloodborne? if that was a gripe of mine I wouldn't elevate bloodborne on a pedestal yet shit on DS3 for being the half assed mess that it is.

Typical fromnut defense "lul git gud" muhazaki did nuffin wrong

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Guard break, it worked fine in proper souls games, where enemies didn't spam 100 hours of spear thrust and immediate shield bash on being approached.

DS3 enemy design is immensely retarded and defending it makes you just as inane.

mediocrepoet

Patron
Guard break, it worked fine in proper souls games, where enemies didn't spam 100 hours of spear thrust and immediate shield bash on being approached.

DS3 enemy design is immensely retarded and defending it makes you just as inane.

Okily dokily. You ever use anything in the game that wasn't super light dex weapons? I mean, beating the crap out of what's basically a nun in a robe with light blades isn't really the same thing, is it? Like you're self reflective enough to understand how retarded you sound, right?

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

Okily dokily. You ever use anything in the game that wasn't super light dex weapons? I mean, beating the crap out of what's basically a nun in a robe with light blades isn't really the same thing, is it? Like you're self reflective enough to understand how retarded you sound, right?

Yeah because slowass weapons are the superior choice in a game where you have very little time between enemy spaz combos. You were dropped on the head as a kid.

mediocrepoet

Patron

Yeah because slowass weapons are the superior choice in a game where you have very little time between enemy spaz combos. You were dropped on the head as a kid.

You're the one who couldn't figure out how to play DS3, but ok, I'm the retard. :lol:

mediocrepoet

Patron
You're the one who couldn't figure out how to play DS3, but ok, I'm the retard. :lol:
Oh we finally got to the point where somebody not liking something about a Souls game just means they need to git gud xd

It's not about not liking something, it's about whining how one handed light blades bounce off shields is bad design. I mean... ok. Usually I expect fighting a tower shield with a dagger to go super well too.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz

To be fair, slow ass heavy weapons still work in ER.. Just gotta adjust to breaking the enemy stance instead of quick R1 attacks

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
It's not about not liking something, it's about whining how one handed light blades bounce off shields is bad design.

But I never said anything about bouncing off. I am saying they broke the usefulness of guard breaking, you know, forward r1, by making these enemies also spam thrust and shield bash so hard you can't even pull off the move. If you're going to make mechanics uselesss cut them off the game.

And no, heavier weapons are definitely not the superior option when the vast majority of the game outside of those enemies are a total spaz and I've never had any issue melting bosses like acid with this set.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck

To be fair, slow ass heavy weapons still work in ER.. Just gotta adjust to breaking the enemy stance instead of quick R1 attacks
We were talking ds3, I think they're a little more viable in ER, mostly the jump attack, but it's still a bore dealing with the lothric clones.
Obnoxious design is obnoxious.

mediocrepoet

Patron
It's not about not liking something, it's about whining how one handed light blades bounce off shields is bad design.

But I never said anything about bouncing off. I am saying they broke the usefulness of guard breaking, you know, forward r1, by making these enemies also spam thrust and shield bash so hard you can't even pull off the move. If you're going to make mechanics uselesss cut them off the game.

And no, heavier weapons are definitely not the superior option when the vast majority of the game outside of those enemies are a total spaz and I've never had any issue melting bosses like acid with this set.

Yeah, the quicker speed of the game definitely reduced the viability of that particular move. To be fair, I figured it was the deflection mechanic that was bugging you because it seemed to me that it was more present in DS3 than it had seemed to be in my recollections of the earlier games. Anyway, I didn't mind them too much, I just started using heavier weapons two handed against the shields and using that to guard break them by hammering them down. You didn't even need to use an overly heavy or slow weapon, you could even two hand a small weapon to do it, just not single handed/dual wielding. I adjust my expectations to what the game is presenting instead of trying to dogmatically follow what worked in prior games. Crazy, I know.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Ranni's quest progressed quite organically throughout the game, it's the most involved quest in the entire series, but NPCs never fail to give you all the information you need

So is ranni's quest almost every step is spelled out for you by some npc or other.

I very much disagree everything is clear and spelled out for you.

FS quests usually require you to either be lucky or scour the entire world every now and then to look for the random places NPCs moved. Which is a problem in ER, a game bigger than the Soviet Union.

With Ranni, I got stuck almost immediately. Found Blaidd in Mistwood but didn't know how to speak to him. Didn't occur to me you have to talk to a certain NPC I was never planning to go back to. Then I didn't notice you can talk to her after obtaining certain item in the fucking grace menu (my bad, should be more observant). Then she tells you something about "Baleful Shadows are bad". What the fuck am I supposed to do with the information? Never in a million years would it occur to me I have to go to a certain place - that, again, I was never planning to go back to since I had explored all of it previously - and fight an invader. And then I completely missed a certain hole in the ground coz it's dark AF in there.

So most of it is due to things being p. hidden and easily missable if you're not super observant, plus one FS' trademark BS - scour the world in the hopes that SOMETHING happens (maybe an invader somewhere).

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz

We were talking ds3, I think they're a little more viable in ER, mostly the jump attack, but it's still a bore dealing with the lothric clones.
Obnoxious design is obnoxious.

I used mostly Zweihänder and other great sword weapons in DS3 and never had a problem. In PvP you also had hyperarmor during many weapon arts, it was fine.

Yeah, you could Straightsword R1 through the game, but slower weapons still worked.

Same as in ER, jump attack like you said, and especially charged R2 attacks quickly stagger enemies.

SumDrunkGuy

I just beat Astel. Yet another real winner of a boss. Gotta walk a mile through rot and fight a boss half way, then you get to Astel who immediately fires a death ray at you. It has ridiculous AoE attacks just like every other boss in this piece of shit, it teleports, it showers you with meteorites. Oh and it also has a mile long tail that can pretty much reach you anywhere in the arena. Oh and ALSO it has a grab attack that either kills you or nearly kills you. A real class act.

Fire Miyazaki's worthless ass because he has gone full retard. I want the Dark Souls 2 directors making these games from now on.

Last edited by a moderator:

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Ranni's quest progressed quite organically throughout the game, it's the most involved quest in the entire series, but NPCs never fail to give you all the information you need

So is ranni's quest almost every step is spelled out for you by some npc or other.

I very much disagree everything is clear and spelled out for you.

FS quests usually require you to either be lucky or scour the entire world every now and then to look for the random places NPCs moved. Which is a problem in ER, a game bigger than the Soviet Union.

With Ranni, I got stuck almost immediately. Found Blaidd in Mistwood but didn't know how to speak to him. Didn't occur to me you have to talk to a certain NPC I was never planning to go back to. Then I didn't notice you can talk to her after obtaining certain item in the fucking grace menu (my bad, should be more observant). Then she tells you something about "Baleful Shadows are bad". What the fuck am I supposed to do with the information? Never in a million years would it occur to me I have to go to a certain place - that, again, I was never planning to go back to since I had explored all of it previously - and fight an invader. And then I completely missed a certain hole in the ground coz it's dark AF in there.

So most of it is due to things being p. hidden and easily missable if you're not super observant, plus one FS' trademark BS - scour the world in the hopes that SOMETHING happens (maybe an invader somewhere).

While all what you said is true, in this game they are pretty lenient with that. I skipped many steps in that quest because I didn't know what triggered them but still could finish the quests.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I think for a game like this, they need to have a journal where you can replay conversations.

I don't want to spoil myself using wikis, but i had to look up again what certain NPCs told me since a million years have passed since i've met them and who the fuck remembers.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
BTW, nice of the game to fuck up my match making by dropping a +8 weapon on me (the rapier the guy with the hat gives you).

I have a bunch of +3 weapons that i ketp switching around but now i gotta pick one since i don't have enough upgrades for all of them. Gay.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
BTW, nice of the game to fuck up my match making by dropping a +8 weapon on me (the rapier the guy with the hat gives you).

I have a bunch of +3 weapons that i ketp switching around but now i gotta pick one since i don't have enough upgrades for all of them. Gay.

It really doesn't matter that much in the long run as weapons do insane damage and PvP is very quickly over.

Normal weapons go up to +25 in this big boi btw :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom