Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Digimon

Educated
Start at 3:09 for the content cut involving an NPC named ‘Rico’, booze, dreams, and St. Trina.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I'm sure those 20% will really help you, if you're already capable of landing a complete combo on a boss.
Anyone can land complete chain of attacks after staggering an enemy (and it's better to do than doing the critical attack in most cases).
There's many ashes of war and weapon arts that can help maintain this too. On most bosses I can do two uses of the art of rivers of blood during certain downtimes, that's 5 hits.
Some of the weapon power stances like twinblades will also do 4 hits in a single jump attack.

But you already listed a couple of talismans that do basically the same. It's just another damage increase talisman in a sea of other damage increase talismans.

"just another damage talisman" it's all about what happens when you've united them all. Just one addition of damage might seem minor, when you've made a build that gathers a lot of sources of damage increases, on the other hand.. You just don't understand how much the game changes when you do. Doing the NG+ runs to get the other endings was such a breeze. The build I describe along with a mixed physick that also contains damage boosters feels like running RTSR in other souls without the need for the actual RTSR.

It was highly transformative. My character felt good in the initial NG run, it felt like god walking among men in NG+ when I got some of the talismans I missed.

So you're telling me it's completely useless for a large portion of builds?

For other builds, the replacement for this talisman are the scorpion charms that boost magic/fire/lightning damage. Blasphemous Blade with fire charm + fire spell buff + fire physick can get a little funny, the damage boosters are multiplicatives on top of each other, not additive.

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
Fucking love the ruins greatsword bros. The WA is amazing for both PVE and PVP. Caught so many fucking mage fags and bloodhound step fags with it.

Olinser

Savant

These speedruns have gotten pretty weird

Look how fast I can beat the game when I cheat!

Why even play it at that point?

Yeah so-called 'speedruns' like that are retarded. Literally just glitch teleports from area to area then glitches the credits and calls it 'beating' the game.

I enjoy a good speedrun of NES games, a lot of them take a LOT of skill to pull off, I love Mega Man and Super Mario speedruns, but 'speedruns' like this are just fucking stupid.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
What do you think is retarded about his post Sunri? They really are the worst kind of speedrun whether you think they are legit or not.

So glitch speedruns are not the worst kind of run? WHAT IS THEN? PLEASE TELL ME.

Last edited:

Generic-Giant-Spider

Speedrunning is gay and boring precisely because it's a bunch of dumb glitching around in RPGs most times.

I prefer early game cheese strats like getting the Gravelord Sword in DS1 within five minutes of the game or doing some other crazy and seemingly suicidal run in a high level area to get a weapon you normally wouldn't have only because you know how to optimally run the route.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Speedrunning is gay and boring precisely because it's a bunch of dumb glitching around in RPGs most times.

I prefer early game cheese strats like getting the Gravelord Sword in DS1 within five minutes of the game or doing some other crazy and seemingly suicidal run in a high level area to get a weapon you normally wouldn't have only because you know how to optimally run the route.

Because that implies actual skill instead of "I looked up on the internet how to glitch this game in 5 minutes" which is kinda how a lot of people played Elden Ring. Speaking of which it crashed my computer upon exit this time because I pressed the windows key. If I paid 60 bucks for this game I would be mad but I usually solve that by NEVER PAYING 60 BUCKS FOR A GAME. Since a friend bought it for me I have just had fun. If I bought the game I would pay 30 bucks for it.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
You can call it cheating all you want but at the end of the day he is not using any outside tools. The whole point of Any% runs are to exploit the game in every way possible way and push at the boundaries of the system. Part of the process is also the finding all of these exploits in the first place, and then memorizing them and pulling them off consistently probably isn't as easy as you think.

This is why they have different categories of speedruns, so look up stuff like 100% or All Bosses or whatever if you want to see a more traditional run of any game. It's just that Any% runs are almost always going to have the shortest run time and thus they get the most attention because it looks the most sensational.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

Pinned by Distortion2
Sketchy
5 hours ago (edited)
An explanation of the insanity that is this run: First off, this is an any% unrestricted speedrun which means the game must be beaten by any means humanly possible. This is done on current patch (1.03) because it is the most stable The star of the show in this run are the zips. A zip is performed by guarding and then walking at a specific time afterward for a specific number of frames. These are frame perfect. The zip is caused by the specific way the walking and guarding animations overlap. Zips are reliant on hardware (and are therefore only allowed in unrestricted runs) and lower resolution makes them more consistent. Macros are not allowed, these are done manually. The class chosen is the Vagabond because with the halberd equipped the character is heavy which allows for farther zips. Exiting and reloading is used throughout the run to skip some animations and because the leaderboards are based on in-game time. So even if exiting and reloading to skip an animation takes more time than the animation does, quitting saves time as far as the speedrun is concerned. The first objective is getting to the Four Belfries. There is a zip to Stormveil from the starting location. Then, from Stormveil to Raya Lucaria. Here the zip is aimed into the terrain to bounce in the correct direction with the right amount of distance height. Finally, a zip from Raya Lucaria to Belfries. The Belfries are important because one of the gates goes to Farum Azula. Farum Azula cannot be zipped to because it is not loaded in unless you get there legitimately. After going through the gate, a wrong warp is performed. A wrong warp can be performed in a few different ways. In this run, a memory of grace is used to return to the grace that has just been teleported to, and then the game is force-quit. This causes the game to lose track of the player's location but it knows the player should be in Farum Azula and so it places them in the default Farum Azula location. In Farum Azula, there is a zip as far into Farum Azula as you can get and then running to the second zip location. This zip goes all the way to the Maliketh arena. Zips are used to kill Maliketh. It takes three zips to kill each of Maliketh’s phases. A short zip is performed up to a ledge. Another short zip is performed to get outside the arena. Then, a long zip is performed to get enough distance to kill Maliketh. At a specific point in the fall, a plunging attack is performed to extend the fall timer so that Maliketh will die before the player. Again, this set of zips must be performed twice. After this, there is a zip to the Godfrey arena. Here, Elden Beast is loaded in during the Godfrey fight and by zipping through the arena, activating the Godfrey fight, and going far enough away, Elden Beast will die (as a side effect, this also kills Godfrey’s first phase). And that’s the run. Hope this was helpful. This run is insane.

Caim

Arcane
Lmao, the big jar challenge, are they fucking serious?

This is the most meme thing From has ever done.

You have to get past those fucking archers only to get one shot by some meme weapon art. I'm SL33 and the invaders are supposed to be scaled to your level according to google but it feels like they are SL150 or some shit judging by the health and gear they have.

Just level up vigor up to 50.

Vigor has an increased return of investment until 40, decreases until 60, after which it goes to shit. Endurance levels stamina steadily until 50 and carry weight has good returns until 25, then dips and goes back up again until 60. So level vigor to at least 40 and endurance based on whether you're a fighter or a caster.

Intelligence has 60 for the best staff and the shoop da whoop, 70 for the moon spell. Faith has 40 for the best seal and 50 for the best spell. Mind gives better returns of FP until 20, gives a steady amount until 50, then goes up for a few levels then goes down again and goes flat at 60.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
You can call it cheating all you want but at the end of the day he is not using any outside tools. The whole point of Any% runs are to exploit the game in every way possible way and push at the boundaries of the system. Part of the process is also the finding all of these exploits in the first place, and then memorizing them and pulling them off consistently probably isn't as easy as you think.

This is why they have different categories of speedruns, so look up stuff like 100% or All Bosses or whatever if you want to see a more traditional run of any game. It's just that Any% runs are almost always going to have the shortest run time and thus they get the most attention because it looks the most sensational.

You can also watch people play shooters using wallhacks and aimbots and marvel at their kill count. Or, as you say, since these guys aren't using anything outside the system - you can watch people who equip their character with outfits to be hard to see/hit and then crow about how insightful they are to abuse system glitches. Please contribute to my Patreon and I'll expound more on these topics.

mediocrepoet

Patron
Lmao, the big jar challenge, are they fucking serious?

This is the most meme thing From has ever done.

You have to get past those fucking archers only to get one shot by some meme weapon art. I'm SL33 and the invaders are supposed to be scaled to your level according to google but it feels like they are SL150 or some shit judging by the health and gear they have.

Just level up vigor up to 50.

Vigor has an increased return of investment until 40, decreases until 60, after which it goes to shit. Endurance levels stamina steadily until 50 and carry weight has good returns until 25, then dips and goes back up again until 60. So level vigor to at least 40 and endurance based on whether you're a fighter or a caster.

Intelligence has 60 for the best staff and the shoop da whoop, 70 for the moon spell. Faith has 40 for the best seal and 50 for the best spell. Mind gives better returns of FP until 20, gives a steady amount until 50, then goes up for a few levels then goes down again and goes flat at 60.

Despite what others have claimed, with 40 vigor and reasonable armour, I didn't get one shot by anything though there are a few wombo combos that you can get stuck in. They're pretty rare though and you can usually dodge enough of it to still get out and heal. People who were getting one shot on NG at vigor 40 were probably using seals that increase damage taken like sore/scarseals. Sure, sore/scarseals increase your stats enough to give you some extra HP, but the increase in damage taken blows that out of the water at anything but the earliest levels (and probably even then).

Prioritizing pumping VGR to 40 definitely made the game a lot easier so far, but I guess I'm still far away from hardest bosses. Most bosses go down in 1-2 tries. So far the early stage of the game has been the hardest, when I had low HP.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Despite what others have claimed, with 40 vigor and reasonable armour, I didn't get one shot by anything though there are a few wombo combos that you can get stuck in. They're pretty rare though and you can usually dodge enough of it to still get out and heal. People who were getting one shot on NG at vigor 40 were probably using seals that increase damage taken like sore/scarseals. Sure, sore/scarseals increase your stats enough to give you some extra HP, but the increase in damage taken blows that out of the water at anything but the earliest levels (and probably even then).
Meanwhile I'm here with 60 Vigor and Radahn's Great Rune, surviving even Malenia's periods.

Prioritizing pumping VGR to 40 definitely made the game a lot easier so far, but I guess I'm still far away from hardest bosses. Most bosses go down in 1-2 tries. So far the early stage of the game has been the hardest, when I had low HP.
So far, all my builds have started with Vigor 30 (unless I have to satisfy some weird weapon requirements). In the early game, no other stat gives you a comparable benefit (I guess Mind might be equally important for a FP-starved build, but I still haven't played one).

mediocrepoet

Patron
Meanwhile I'm here with 60 Vigor and Radahn's Great Rune, surviving even Malenia's periods.

Yeah, that's definitely a way to go. Even at 40, I could semi-reliably dodge most of the flurry and the flower. Pretty sure I could evade the entire flurry if I was a bit more disciplined and/or the action queue in the game wasn't quite so touchy.

mediocrepoet

Patron
So now that I have (finally) beaten the entire game, all bosses, in my ridiculously anal spoiler free* playthrough, I only had one area and one boss I thought was garbage (not counting the cat statues which are normal enemies in several areas - those things are really not fun to fight even when you know their moves to dodge them reliably and melee). Even some things that I found to be cancerous when approaching one way were fine when approaching another way. The game gives you enough crap to abuse the enemies with that you can decide how to approach it, how much to handicap yourself, and go from there.

Radagon was fun to fight and felt epic as hell, but the fucking space amoeba at the end was lame and really let down the rest of the game. Floating to the ass end of the arena while firing infinite tracking energy at you and rings of light, etc. I beat it relatively quickly, but it wasn't a great experience. Imo they should've either ended with Radagon, or had him turn back into Marika and had some sort of "true God" fight against her. All in all, great game. Lengthwise, it felt like playing the entire Souls trilogy in one go though, so... Jesus.

* There was a secret I wouldn't have found in a million years if it wasn't for the message system in game, and there were a few odds and ends that I found I had missed when I looked to see if I missed anything after clearing an area. Basically, I'd run an area a few times learning it and looking for things, check a major item list to see if I got all the major stuff once I was satisfied with my effort, look again if I saw I missed something (happened a few times), and eventually look up the location if I was really stumped and felt I couldn't live without it (happened a handful of times). But the flip side is, this playthrough took more time than I want to admit even though I saved some time (est. around 20 hours or so) in the early game (Limgrave, Liurnia, parts of Caelid) due to learning on alts at launch.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Not making a complaint about the build, because faith has many really strong elements (fire and lightning can be heavy damage on most things) but man, it's funny how useless holy can get.

Of course someone was autistic enough to decide to do a run with only pure holy damage and suffer for it. SL1 characters do more damage than he does.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom